ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   limited/no connectivity on LAN2-help an idiot please (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/534879-limited-no-connectivity-on-lan2-help-an-idiot-please.html)

dicky ticker 08 August 2006 08:22 PM

limited/no connectivity on LAN2-help an idiot please

hi folks

i am completely useless in pc terms so any help appreciated

my problem is recently i am getting a pop up message saying i am getting limited or no connectivity from my LAN2 and it seems to be affecting my connection to the internet.

i am using my laptop as my home pc with aol broadband via a bt voyager dsl modem. it is not networked to any other pc's so i cannot understand this message as i thought LAN related to network computers

i have tried uninstalling/reinstalling all the software and drivers. i have no viruses or adware etc.

is there anything i can do to solve this problem (apart from ditch aol wich i actually like)

cheers

jpor 08 August 2006 08:25 PM

I take it this is using a wireless connection? You may be getting interferrance from another wireless device. You may need to change the channel on you're router to compensate.

Criss 08 August 2006 08:29 PM

As above, if you are not connected to the modem via USB you will be airing over a LAN.

Either wireless or through an ethernet cable.

Try going into the control panel and selecting network connections and right click on your limited connection and select repair

dicky ticker 08 August 2006 08:39 PM

thanks guys

i'm not that clever to go wireless yet. i am still on a usb modem.

occasionally it changes from a limited/ no connectivity message to a network cable is unplugged.

but i dont have to do anything to get this message and i am not so stupid to unplug the cables when online

dicky ticker 09 August 2006 08:53 AM

please help

i cant get on scoobynet at home

Nick 09 August 2006 09:04 AM

If you are using a USB modem, then you are not using the network connection. How do you know that you don't have any virus or spyware? What protection software do you use? Have you run Hijack This?

dicky ticker 09 August 2006 09:47 AM

i have an up to date version of norton antivirus with internet / email protector.

i also have aol spyware.

full system scans have shown nothing.

when i looked at the network connections (via control panel) it shows the usb modem associated with local area connection 2

doh! just realised its a local area connection not a local area network doh!

i did say i was an idiot.

does this shed new light on the situation

Smurf2k 09 August 2006 09:47 AM

Agree with nick. I would run a full AV and spyware scan.

Also try goin into network connections and right click each one and select disable Except for your AOL internet connection.

Criss 09 August 2006 11:41 AM

It is probabley your BT voyager modem. Just unplug the USB then plug it back in, it could even be a problem with your filter or other equipment on other sockets. Try unplugging everything from all your phone socets the see if it happens.
if it still happens try a different filter
if it still happens check to hear if you have any kind of noise on the phone line with a telepone.

dicky ticker 09 August 2006 03:42 PM

cheers

i have already tried 3 different filters and two sets of cables.

the phone line is fairly new and seems ok.

criss - are you saying that if the modem itself was faulty this might cause the problems i am having

i have tried "repairing" the connection as suggested in the error message but this fails as windows cannot update the ip address

Criss 09 August 2006 08:55 PM

I don't have much experience with those modems, but when I used to have one, it kept disconnecting me.

It appeared to be a problem with the firmwire/drivers of the modem, no updates would resolve this.

I had to make do with unplugging the USB cable then plugging it back in.

Since I bought a lynksis wireless G modem router I have had no porblems!

Do you have the little DSL icon in the bottom right corner? should be red when not connected, then go yellow as the modem finds the BB signal then green when Internet connection is good.

If you have norton, try checking if your windows firewall is on as it may be conflicting!

dicky ticker 10 August 2006 12:16 PM

cheers cris

my dsl icon spends most of the time yellow and thats when i have the problem.

i have tried with all firewall protection off but this doesnt help

aol level 2 techs are phoning me tonight so hopefully i will have a solution.

cheers

colin