ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Lighting and Other Electrical (https://www.scoobynet.com/lighting-and-other-electrical-14/)
-   -   making a rear fog light look oe! (https://www.scoobynet.com/lighting-and-other-electrical-14/533241-making-a-rear-fog-light-look-oe.html)

neil54 01 August 2006 08:55 PM

making a rear fog light look oe!

as the title really i took my old foggie off cause it looked awful but ill need to fit a new one so is there anyway to make it look like it was fitted with one from the factory i have a wee idea but id like some pointers please

neil

Spec'c'57 04 August 2006 07:09 PM

what car??? i have an 03 and they made into the rear lights......

neil54 04 August 2006 07:47 PM

sorry mate its for a 1993 wrx as the imports dont have fogs as standard

Robin Mullan 04 August 2006 08:37 PM

I have a 98sti so this will work the same on your car, i fed the wiring
from the horrible fog light to the O/S/R light lense, brought a front indicator bulb holder for a newish shape vw polo, drilled a hole big enough next to the O/S/R tail light bulb and plumbed in the vw bulb holder, not exactly what id call factory spec but good enough to pass the dreaded MOT

Spec'c'57 05 August 2006 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by neil54
sorry mate its for a 1993 wrx as the imports dont have fogs as standard

;) mine is an import too.... but as above sounds the best standard look.....

gatecrasher3 05 August 2006 08:27 AM

If you you only want it to pass the MOT you could just sit a fog light on the parcel shelf, as far right as you can get it then wire it to the cigarette lighter socket with an illuminated switch to turn it on and off.

silent running 07 August 2006 12:46 PM

I got a UK foglight switch off a scrappy and hooked it up in the dash on the right hand side. There was already a dodgy bulbholder down there in the o/s/r cluster (the white bit which is empty) with a red bulb in it, but this was overheating every time it was on, and melting the plastic of the lens. So I simply changed this for an LED replacement - looks white until you activate it, glows really bright red so actually works properly as a fog light, and no heat problems whatsoever.

PPPRob 07 August 2006 03:33 PM

On my old STi5 type R I just removed the right hand reversing bulb and wired the fog into the holder.

Then just buy a red bulb, passed 2 MOTs for me :thumb:

Only downside is that the clear lens looks slightly red compared to the other side because of the reflection of the bulb.

THT

T5OLF 07 August 2006 03:47 PM

My import looks like this, guessing it's a uk cluster?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2.../scooby061.jpg

doug2507 07 August 2006 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by PPPRob
On my old STi5 type R I just removed the right hand reversing bulb and wired the fog into the holder.

Then just buy a red bulb, passed 2 MOTs for me :thumb:

Only downside is that the clear lens looks slightly red compared to the other side because of the reflection of the bulb.

THT

Did exactly the same with mine. Use a 'silver' orange bulb and you wont notice the difference.:thumb:

neil54 07 August 2006 10:01 PM

i had the idea of fitting in the reverse light space but never thought of an led or a silver bulb so cheers guys

neil

scooby turbo 08 August 2006 12:12 AM

Hi were did you get the red 21 watt bulb from as been to my local car parts shops around york and not found one yet

spaspeckerthedull 19 October 2006 09:03 PM

I did this on my my94 wrx - I removed the crappy cheapo light from my bumper, removed the drivers side reverse light and cut off the wires to it. I then terminated these with a crimp, and soldered the bulb holder onto the fog lamp wires. Replaced the bulb holder back into the cluster and switched the fog lamp switch on to make sure it worked. Then I went to my local autofactors and bought some red lens repair tape, used this to cover over the white reverse lens (a couple of layers did it to stop it lighting up pink!!) and hey presto, it works and looks oe. total cost? £1:60 for the lens repair tape and 20 mins of a saturday morning. If you can't solder then just use butt plugs (no sniggering at the back) these just crimp wires together and are easy to use.

M555JHE 19 October 2006 10:09 PM

i just bought an RA, it has the conversion in the spare reverse lamp, better check its not been melting, its been a bit foggy of late.
looks good though