ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Fuel light (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/532582-fuel-light.html)

magicdudey 30 July 2006 03:19 AM

Fuel light

WRX 300 did approx 10 miles with the fuel light, drove slow.
When I filled it it took 51.4 ltrs.
What is the deal re damaging your turbo and what is the max capacity of the fuel tank?
Thans in advance for your learned replies.:thumb:

corradoboy 30 July 2006 03:32 AM

Tank is 60l, so with 8.6l still available if you'd stayed under boost you could have got another 60 miles or so. Not sure how being low on petrol can damage your turbo, but fuel starvation can be dodgy if on full boost. Watch out for it when below 1/4 tank when exiting roundabouts at speed ;)

evander 30 July 2006 04:33 AM

As above and you will drag a bit of crap through from the tank which the filter should pick up, You wont damage your turbo though.

magicdudey 30 July 2006 05:04 AM

Appreciate it big time fellas! Thanks big style.
I heard that if you drove a little way with you fuel light then you get a sooty/cocked turbo! Worrying when you get your first scoob and want it to last.

Gear Head 30 July 2006 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by evander
As above and you will drag a bit of crap through from the tank which the filter should pick up, You wont damage your turbo though.

Sorry but that is b*llocks!

Why do you think that any little particles wouldn't move around and mix with the petrol as you are driving??

The only problem with low fuel is possible fuel starvation under hard acceleration. Only ever happened to me in my sti 4 when I had under 1/4 left.

GC8 30 July 2006 11:18 AM

.....and that can be solved by using a swirl-pot.

Simon

evander 31 July 2006 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by chrispurvis100
Sorry but that is b*llocks!

Why do you think that any little particles wouldn't move around and mix with the petrol as you are driving??

The only problem with low fuel is possible fuel starvation under hard acceleration. Only ever happened to me in my sti 4 when I had under 1/4 left.

So hows that b*llocks then, Im not talking about little particles that are suspended in the fuel. Im talking about the big lumps of crap that sit on the bottom of the tank and will get pulled through if you run it absolutely dry.

Tuts 31 July 2006 09:11 PM

How can anything get pulled through? The fuel pickup sits in a filter 'sock' so nothing can get sucked in.

BTW I drove until I was on the middle bar of the E and then chickened out. Even then I only got 55L in it!

Gear Head 31 July 2006 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by evander
So hows that b*llocks then, Im not talking about little particles that are suspended in the fuel. Im talking about the big lumps of crap that sit on the bottom of the tank and will get pulled through if you run it absolutely dry.

What big lumps of crap?
Have you ever seen the inside of a fuel tank? You can see you're face in it!
Have you never used petrol to clean up bit of metal? Petrol would just eat through and dissolve any muck in the fuel.

So yes, you are talking crap! :thumb:

jaydut 31 July 2006 09:52 PM

wots this about exiting roundabouts at speed:wonder:

corradoboy 31 July 2006 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by jaydut
wots this about exiting roundabouts at speed:wonder:

Never experienced it myself, but the centrifugal forces throwing all the fuel in the tank over to one side can temporarily interrupt fuel flow.

evander 01 August 2006 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by chrispurvis100
What big lumps of crap?
Have you ever seen the inside of a fuel tank? You can see you're face in it!
Have you never used petrol to clean up bit of metal? Petrol would just eat through and dissolve any muck in the fuel.

So yes, you are talking crap! :thumb:

I hate to burst you bubble but have you ever seen inside a petrol tank and Im not talking about just one or new ones, Yeh you can see your face in the metal and yes petrol will clean up metal but only if the smeg is hyrocarbon based. Oh yeh and how do you suppose that petrol is going to break down rust since most petrol tanks are made from steel including the scoobs.

DannyBoy007 01 August 2006 10:39 AM

I've had the needle below the bottom bar of the E, big panic!!!! pulled into a service station on the M4, Garage shut for delivery!!!!! 30 miles to the next services. As it was 11.30Pm and everywhere local was shut, had to risk the journey. Made it in the end but I've never looked at the fuel guage so much!!!!

With regards to crap in the tank, I use a generator for work, and there is always crap in the tank and swirl filter. falls in when filling. I'm sure dust and grit would fall in when you open the filler cap etc

ricardo 01 August 2006 10:48 AM

If there is any crap in the bottom of the tank then whether the tank is full, half-empty or nearly empty still won't make any difference - the pump pulls fuel from near the bottom of the tank all the time.