ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Older subaru GL (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/532397-older-subaru-gl.html)

Anticamper 29 July 2006 03:20 AM

Older subaru GL

basicly i have a 87-89 subaru GL. not sure the exact year but i can get it soon. anyways i know its not a goddly WRX, but i want to know what i can do to this car in terms of performance. i am completely new to automotive stuff. but yea a few questions:

i was wondering is it even possible to put a newer engine. i belive someone mentioned an ej20 to me? i dunno

also the car has 4wd, what would it take(time and money) to make this AWD? Is it even possible?

realy would it be worth the money to try and revive an older subaru?

i realy would love to take an old nothing car, and make it into something. i would love to completely gut the car and put lots of new stuff in it but i am not sure of its capibilities.

anyways it seems there isn't a single pic on google of my subaru, a few almost looked simmular but yea they were like 3:4 pixels total lol. i am a complete newb to this sorta stuff so be gentle ^___^

chocolate_o_brian 29 July 2006 03:47 AM

also the car has 4wd, what would it take(time and money) to make this AWD? Is it even possible?
awd is 4wd mate, no offence lol. same thing im lead to believe. good luck with your project though. oh and ej20 is the 2 litre engine in most scoobs, whether n/a or turbocharged. im welcome to corrections if im wrong :lol1:

Anticamper 29 July 2006 04:05 AM

naw man no offense takin. i know AWD pretty much is 4WD, but see the 4WD doesn't run all the time so yea. i want to know more about that and ok so would this ej20 fit it an older gl? found a pic thats close to mine btw:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2381512

this is almost the same as far as mine. my dad is a truck macanic and he tells me its a boxer type and from what i gather so is this ej20. so it should fit right?

dpb 29 July 2006 09:25 AM

does awd save petrol then..:Suspiciou

Shark Man 29 July 2006 09:37 AM

Yikes.

Ok, the EJ20 should physically fit in the engine bay. But you may need to re-position engine brackets. Not to forget you need all the ECU bits and wiring loom to make it work. 2nd thing is it may not mate up to the current gearbox, so yo'd need either to adapt it, or use a Impreza/Legacy gearbox and rear diff, which probably will need some cutting and welding to fit.

Anything is possible, just depends on how handy your are at welding :D

Anticamper 30 July 2006 06:31 AM

hmmm yea i am ok with the metal work tho my dad would be doin most of the macaninc stuff as i know nothing about cars but you are sayin it is possible? cool thanks for your help guys. if anyone has any other input its more then welcome! ^___^

Anticamper 30 July 2006 06:49 AM

ok so whats some good places to find parts for this little project? i will pay for good quality. i live in california so pref somewhere close. any recomendations?

Jamo 30 July 2006 07:49 AM

id suggest posting this in the project section mate, theres a lot of people in there with the ability and knowledge you require :)

as for bits I can only offer uk companys, so not much use unfortunatly.

good luck :thumb:

dpb 30 July 2006 08:49 AM

Ali - he a yank does this make it any more difficult..:lol1:

apPalling spooling as well - how old are you..??

Bubba po 30 July 2006 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by dpb
Ali - he a yank does this make it any more difficult..:lol1:

apalling spooling as well - how old are you..??

How's the glass house these days Dunc? :)

dpb 30 July 2006 10:19 AM

Hot ..:D
I knew it looked wrong

Anticamper 30 July 2006 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by shaggy1973
id suggest posting this in the project section mate, theres a lot of people in there with the ability and knowledge you require :)

as for bits I can only offer uk companys, so not much use unfortunatly.

good luck :thumb:

ty to the project section i got, and yes i am in fack from the us. as for my age, i am 20. and glass house? O_o