ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Electronic scale inhibitors (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/532164-electronic-scale-inhibitors.html)

Shark Man 28 July 2006 09:53 AM

Electronic scale inhibitors

Right, out in-line scalemaster electrolytic inhibitor spilt several months back, so had to replace it with a copper tube as a temporary measure. Now I know it worked as my shower head has since blocked up :lol1:

Anyway, point in qestion is I'm looking at these electronic versions as an option. BUT I'm completely bewildered about the pricing.

One, such as a "pozzani" is about £60, whilst others, like "scalewatcher" go right up to £250. Then at the bottom end there is a self build Maplin kit for a few notes.

They all appear to use the same science of creating various wave patterns in a cyclic program through the aerials to prevent scale adhesion and also alledge to remove any existing scale. Latter point seems more dubious to me but I'll take their word for it.

What I want to know is why such wide difference in prices in like-for-like models, i.e medium sized home with a single aerial. I can understand the big ones with multiple areials but all the other domestic ones look much of a muchness.

So, are they all the same and duping people with the pricing or is there a genuine reason for some costing as much as they do.

Or should I just sod it and stick in another in-line electrolytic inhibitor?

TIA :)

hutton_d 28 July 2006 01:25 PM

I'm about to get the Mapln one ith a power supply it's less than 15 squid so I can bin it if no good. I've heard from others with these sorts of things that they do work. A new shower pump means want to keep it for a few years longer than if it got scaled up ...

Cheers

Dave

OllyK 28 July 2006 03:22 PM

You may be interested in reading this and considering ion exchange or reverse osmosis.

Shark Man 28 July 2006 08:56 PM

Hmm interesting :Suspiciou

Point to note that even though that site is written by a reitired Uni faculty member. He completely negated to use the Harvard reference system - surely somebody of that status should know better? :nono:

Would have been far better if wanted his arguments to hold water <boom tish> :rolleyes: :D.

I know our electrolytic one did something. As originally without it, our pressure-balancing mira 915 shower mixer kept jamming shut and need stripping apart and descaling every 3 months or so. I've never had to do it since having the electrolytic inhibitor fitted which has been about 4 years now - same goes with the shower head. Coincidance? I don't know, but if the mixer jams shut again without it, I'll know for sure. ;)

Reverse osmosis isn't feasible - too expensive and only does one tap - need a whole house solution. Plus it's not a one off expense (needs cartridges every 6months). And I don't have an issue with drinking hard water from a tap anyway

Ion exchange isn't too clever for drinking water. Again expensive. Takes up too much spece. And I can't get salt for a dishwasher as it is yet alone for a water softener :lol1: