ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Private plate still on Retention (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/532113-private-plate-still-on-retention.html)

WarrenSTI 27 July 2006 10:43 PM

Private plate still on Retention

Hi can anyone give me the advice I need

Been offered a plate, I have been told by the seller that it is on a retention certificate.
He says if I by it from him, the reg number can the be transfered to my car at zero cost!
Is this correct
He reckons its because the retention certificate has already been paid for, also he says if it doesn't sell the DVLA will buy the retention certificate back of him and then I presume the plate will be for sale on their site.
Anyone shed any light on this! If the seller is right in what he says I should be able to get a good deal, with no transfer fees etc.
Cheers Warren

[MikeyB] 27 July 2006 10:54 PM

Hi Warren, I think he's right as he's already paid the transfer fee which is included in the retention.

Just give the DVLA a call tomorrow to double check.

WarrenSTI 28 July 2006 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by [MikeyB]
Hi Warren, I think he's right as he's already paid the transfer fee which is included in the retention.

Just give the DVLA a call tomorrow to double check.

Cheers Will do

Andy-C 28 July 2006 07:56 AM

I think you will still have to pay £80.00 to cover admin cost.

pete higham 28 July 2006 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Andy-C
I think you will still have to pay £80.00 to cover admin cost.

i dont think he should because somebody has already paid £110 to put the plate on retention :thumb:

warren you should have pmed me because im having to move mine over atm ;) :D

£80 to swap from car to car
£110 to swap from car to peice of paper to car

Sweepickit 28 July 2006 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by WarrenSTI
Hi can anyone give me the advice I need

Been offered a plate, I have been told by the seller that it is on a retention certificate.
He says if I by it from him, the reg number can the be transfered to my car at zero cost!
Is this correct
He reckons its because the retention certificate has already been paid for, also he says if it doesn't sell the DVLA will buy the retention certificate back of him and then I presume the plate will be for sale on their site.
Anyone shed any light on this! If the seller is right in what he says I should be able to get a good deal, with no transfer fees etc.
Cheers Warren

He paid £80.00 to retain the plate, but you wll still have to pay the transfer fee (£25.00 when I was in the motor trade 2 yrs ago). Hope this helps!

stilover 28 July 2006 11:32 AM

One the plate is put on retention, the fee is paid. Once you buy the plate off this guy, just simply take it down to the DVLA office, fill in the correct form, and the TAX disc will be stamped for you there and then. No cost to yourself.

I know, as I just did it a couple months ago.

2old4this 28 July 2006 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Sweepickit
He paid £80.00 to retain the plate, but you wll still have to pay the transfer fee (£25.00 when I was in the motor trade 2 yrs ago). Hope this helps!

you only pay £25 a year to keep it on V750 cerificate until you buy the car of that year i have just renewled my one for another year until i buy a 55 reg car

compshack 28 July 2006 12:40 PM

As far as I know the name on the retention certificate has to be EXACTLY the same as that on the log book you're putting the cherished number onto. I had this problem when one said Jon and the other said Jonathan. I had to send the docs back to the dvla to get them changed.

But normally you don't have to pay to use a retention certificate.

RJDS 28 July 2006 05:15 PM

From recollection, he will have to send the doc's to DVLA to have you inserted as the nominee, without your name appearing on the Docs your local VRO will not do the transfer. speak to your local VRO they are very helpful.

steve jackson 28 July 2006 09:49 PM

All you should have to pay is £25 to change registered name of owner of the plate ...as i recall, even though it is on retention.

Steve

T5NYW 28 July 2006 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by stilover
One the plate is put on retention, the fee is paid. just simply take it down to the DVLA office, fill in the correct form, and the TAX disc will be stamped for you there and then. No cost to yourself.

As long as the names on the Retension and V5 etc are the same, you can also nominate another Name when placing it on Retension FOC ;) otherwise you have to pay to change Names after buying it.

Originally Posted by steve jackson
All you should have to pay is £25 to change registered name of owner of the plate ...as i recall, even though it is on retention.

IIRC

Tony