ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   How to kill maggots (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/531513-how-to-kill-maggots.html)

*Sonic* 22 July 2006 10:27 PM

How to kill maggots

Gave my cat her usual bowl of cat food the other day, however with the heat, she didnt come and eat it

As a result, there seemed to be a few hundred tiny maggots in the food all wriggling about

As im not into fishing :) I didnt know how I could kill them, so I filled the cats bowls with parazone thick concentrated bleach, and almost instantly all the maggots frothed up and bubbled away

However I went back later on and the froth had gone, and a lot of maggots were still moving about, and appeared to be swimming away to their hearts content

Being a bit concerned that I had now created some mutant giant toxic hideous creatures that will attack me in the morning as green 20" flies, I used a blowtorch and set about frying them

They all starting popping, but it didnt half take some doing, and quite a while on a blue flame until they stopped moving and popped

Is there anything easier I can kill them with, as this way was long winded and didnt smell too good

TonyBurns 22 July 2006 10:29 PM

Just leave them out in the open and the birds should finish them off ;)

Tony:)

sarasquares 22 July 2006 10:30 PM

:lol1:

just flush them down the toilet :D

dpb 22 July 2006 10:32 PM

pop them in the fridge for later..:thumb:

Lee247 22 July 2006 10:35 PM

Hi Smut :luxhello:
I hate to state the obvious, but, if said cat does not eat the food, chuck it out and feed her later :D

Spoon 22 July 2006 10:35 PM

Get a cleaner!!

*Sonic* 22 July 2006 10:37 PM

I would have chucked the food out, but I wasnt around for a bit after putting her food out

The problem with leaving them out is that they dont take long to turn into flies, and then they lay more eggs and then more maggots

Do any of the garden places sell maggot killing stuff

*Sonic* 22 July 2006 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Just leave them out in the open and the birds should finish them off ;)

Tony:)

I forgot to say that the food is left outside for the cat on my balcony, this isnt in the house

S

Spoon 22 July 2006 10:41 PM

http://homedeco.geniosity.co.za/2006...lling-maggots/

Houghton 22 July 2006 10:52 PM

Stick 'em in the microwave for a minute on high. Should do the trick :eek:

sarasquares 22 July 2006 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by *Sonic*
I would have chucked the food out, but I wasnt around for a bit after putting her food out

The problem with leaving them out is that they dont take long to turn into flies, and then they lay more eggs and then more maggots

Do any of the garden places sell maggot killing stuff

you could put them in the freezer :D

kingofturds 22 July 2006 10:54 PM

I left a can of cat food in the shed a couple of years ago only to find itcrawling with maggots. took great pleasure in melting the *******s to death with a butane blow torch:)

*Sonic* 22 July 2006 10:55 PM

Thanks Spoon, apparently most people on that site have tried bleach, and said it just seems to make them move faster

Boiling water or Kerosene seems to be the best way apparently

The blow torch was good, but the butane/propane doesnt last that long

Spoon 22 July 2006 10:58 PM

Thanks Spoon, apparently most people on that site have tried bleach, and said it just seems to make them move faster

I'm guessing we wouldn't hang around if we dived into a swimming pool of bleach either. :lol1:

oik 23 July 2006 02:03 AM

Gave my cat her usual bowl of cat food the other day, however with the heat, she didnt come and eat it

As a result, there seemed to be a few hundred tiny maggots in the food all wriggling about

As im not into fishing :) I didnt know how I could kill them, so I filled the cats bowls with parazone thick concentrated bleach, and almost instantly all the maggots frothed up and bubbled away

However I went back later on and the froth had gone, and a lot of maggots were still moving about, and appeared to be swimming away to their hearts content

Being a bit concerned that I had now created some mutant giant toxic hideous creatures that will attack me in the morning as green 20" flies, I used a blowtorch and set about frying them

They all starting popping, but it didnt half take some doing, and quite a while on a blue flame until they stopped moving and popped

Is there anything easier I can kill them with, as this way was long winded and didnt smell too good

I would eliminate the root cause, kill the cat and don't leave meat lying around for hours upon end so that the eggs hatch ... it's just scummy :cuckoo:

Chip Sengravy 23 July 2006 09:29 AM

I don't think bleach will work, given that when maggots get hot, they sweat ammonia ;)

scooby_matt 23 July 2006 09:47 AM

Definately boiling water, not much else works

babber 23 July 2006 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by scooby_matt
Definately boiling water, not much else works

Ditto. My rubbish bin was full of them, so I did them with a couple of kettles full of water. DEAD!!!

Phill

scoob_babe 23 July 2006 05:48 PM

get cat onto dry food, its fine in this weather :thumb:

Clarebabes 23 July 2006 05:55 PM

As a fisherman's daughter, I have no problem with them. People used to put them in their mouths FFS!!!

Anyway, I usually just put them in the wheelie bin and let the binmen sort them out ;)

Gazz300 23 July 2006 06:00 PM

Squash them!