ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Non competitive schoolkids.Ruins them. (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/530523-non-competitive-schoolkids-ruins-them.html)

lozgti 18 July 2006 12:13 PM

Non competitive schoolkids.Ruins them.

I was annoyed when this 'no one loses a race,everyone gets a prize ' crap or whatever came into schools.Making sure no one gets upset.I have just seen exactly what sort of child it produces.

Sunday cricket match.Team made up of kids,old boys and crocks(moi).11 year old bowled out by another kid.Refused to go,demanded another go,stroppy tantrum,tears.His father took him off.

Turns out they are all 'given another go' when they play at school.Flippin tough I say.If you don't learn at that age you can't have everything your own way and sometimes people do 'lose' you will never ever ever get on in life.If you miss a penalty in footie YOU CAN'T HAVE ANOTHER GO:nono:

Oooh,it annoyed me:mad: A child ruined.What stupid purpose does it serve?

davegtt 18 July 2006 12:22 PM

Yup, all todays children are spoilt Im afraid.

TopBanana 18 July 2006 12:22 PM

Sad isn't it

ESH 18 July 2006 12:37 PM

Never mind the kids I'd waited years for my sone to be old enough for sports days and now parents don't have the opportunity to race either. Got to put them down another way!!

David Lock 18 July 2006 12:53 PM

Kid should have bribed the umpire like a proper grown up :D

lightning101 18 July 2006 01:00 PM

Is this happening in all english schools ? :confused:

TopBanana 18 July 2006 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by lightning101
Is this happening in all english schools ? :confused:

No, I was at a proper old fashioned sports day last week.

Rage! 18 July 2006 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by TopBanana

Did they tar and feather the losers? :D

TopBanana 18 July 2006 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Rage!
Did they tar and feather the losers? :D

Ha no but they encouraged the parents to laugh at them. Good for them you know.

staffs Mike 18 July 2006 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by TopBanana

Was this at a public school?

I was lucky enough to miss all this everyones a winner carp. Winning or losing builds character. I cant wait to see the adults this new system produces...Pissing, moaning little sh!tes no doubt.

I was on all the school and village teams and never had trouble with academics when i was kid so i guess i dont know what its like to be a "loser" as it were. But i'd like to think that losing would drive me on to want to win.

chubby bugga i was and am to :lol1: never stopped me getting on the teams though because i was good at the sports i did and felt all the more accomplishment for being there.

speedking 18 July 2006 01:25 PM

Get them down to the Scouts :thumb: Still have decent competitive competitions. My son was in a football tournament, that they'd won for the last two years. Half way through the group stage, when it looked like they might win again, the organisers changed the rules so there would be a playoff between the top two teams to decide the winner. That match was won by the other team after a dubious penalty decision gave them a silver goal so the match was decided at half time.

Coming second in those circumstances gives plenty of lessons to learn.

They also build catapults, build bonfires etc., the last opportunity to grow up properly?

staffs Mike 18 July 2006 01:34 PM

Dont like the stories i've heard about scouts but it could be a good way for them to learn.

I think the more capable kids fortune will lie with the parents. If they are strong academically make sure they are invloved with activities that stretch them a little further outside of school. If they are athletic give them opportunities to join clubs etc...

They simply need the drive of knowing that they are good at something, which it seems the schools are no long able to give them.

GaryK 18 July 2006 03:08 PM

Yes I heard about this a while ago and really couldnt believe it. It destroys any kind of goal setting, constant improvement desire which is fundamental to a happy and prosperous life IMHO.

WRX300MAN 18 July 2006 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by David Lock
Kid should have bribed the umpire like a proper grown up :D

I second that!:thumb:

B9GLY 18 July 2006 03:37 PM

yes pathetic now in schools, my little brother has just had his and no1 wins, they just get a certificate saying they took part!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

who cares its the bloody winning that counts!

Scooby.Newbie 18 July 2006 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by staffs Mike
I cant wait to see the adults this new system produces...Pissing, moaning little sh!tes no doubt.

Bugger, it's hard enough to get a word in edgeways here as it is, I will have no chance in the future :D

CrisPDuk 18 July 2006 07:16 PM

My niece is nearly five and, thanks to both me and my sister, she is well aware that second place is merely for the first of the losers:D

MrsD and my brother in law however, are both of the 'it's the taking part that counts' school of thought. Guess which two usually win most of the board games at family gatherings:D And yes, the one of us that doesn't win sulks:D

CLSII 19 July 2006 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk
My niece is nearly five and, thanks to both me and my sister, she is well aware that second place is merely for the first of the losers:D

MrsD and my brother in law however, are both of the 'it's the taking part that counts' school of thought. Guess which two usually win most of the board games at family gatherings:D And yes, the one of us that doesn't win sulks:D

I think you miss the point somehow. First place is what you strive for but it's really about doing the best you possibly can. Most kids can be the best at something they can do.

Where I think we agree is that this pathetic belief that everyone wins at everything denies children the possibility of ever properly winning anything which is in my mind the logic of twisted defeatist minds.

Why would you ever try hard at anything if you know you will always win however poorly you perform. Then when you hit the real world you really will be a loser

Jaydee5 19 July 2006 12:43 AM

The best thing you can do for your kids is to teach them to lose with dignity. And then teach them to fcuking fight like buggery to win the next time :thumb:

r32 19 July 2006 07:04 AM

Sadly life is competitive, best get used to it at school .............

Drunken Bungle Whore 19 July 2006 08:18 AM

People are always moaning about how we don't produce great tennis champions, footballers, blah, blah blah - and this is exactly why! If you want competetive adults then start on them while they're kids - if they don't learn from a young age how to fight to win, and just what it takes, why should we be surprised when we produce a generation of sports stars who're full of excuses for not winning? :rolleyes:

Maybe at the 2012 Olympics we should give Gold medals to everyone just for making the effort to show up? :cuckoo:

Mark Miwurdz 19 July 2006 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by r32
Sadly life is competitive, best get used to it at school .............

Too true - these suckers are going to get one hell of a shock in the workplace. Humans are naturally competitive and to try and change that for the sake of political correctness is just plain wrong.

Not just an issue in UK PLC though; I have a mate who lives in Australia and the kids at his son's school have been banned from clapping at school sports days because it deemed as 'too aggressive' WTF??!!! :cuckoo: :freak3: :cuckoo:

Cheers
Kav

Leslie 19 July 2006 01:07 PM

Its the grand idea of the PC, nutcrunching, roman sandal wearing plonkers who appear to be determined to drag this country completely down the tubes!

Les :(

Peanuts 19 July 2006 01:30 PM

This subject pains me.
You actually have to feel a modicum of sympathy for the kids themselves.
No longer will the fastest/fittest/best kid have the joy of success, no point saving the fat kid til last when picking teams etc

then BAM! life is going to bite them square in the arse when it comes to employment.

In my line of work the employment laws dont really apply, you fook up then you're down the road to the labour-exchange quick as a flash. Unfortunately I can almost forsee that the majority of these kids will come out of uni with a degree in fine arts and pottery and end up in construction pushing a shovel about, because in reality, there is no job "fine arts and pottery" and anyone can be a groundworker, but by eck, they're (the kids) going to get some abuse asking for a 2nd chance after they fooked up, and the forman is trying to hit them in the side of the head with a shovel.

Peanuts 19 July 2006 01:32 PM

erm Scouts, still a nonces hideout isnt it?

Mark Miwurdz 19 July 2006 02:09 PM

...no, that's the Catholic Church you'll be thinking of.

The Snug Rhino 19 July 2006 07:00 PM

swings and roundabouts.......i have 4 kids so know all about the crappy sports days that go on now....however, the blokes that i was at school with who won all the races and headed the school teams are now a bunch of loosers with nothing but illigitamte kids and tales of their U15 wins to keep them happy.

i was crap in school sports so avoided it completley thus never experienced "loosing" as i didnt take part, i am now succesfull. go figure.

in reality the ideal is somewhere in the middle (prob late 80's early 90's?)

BOB.T 19 July 2006 07:13 PM

in reality the ideal is somewhere in the middle (prob late 80's early 90's?)
That'd be me then! I did sports, didn't give a crap whether we won or not, seem to be doing ok now. :)

Lord Shrek 19 July 2006 07:17 PM

at school sport is a big deal...the quarterback gets the attention and can have any bird he wants

the school geek who is cr@p at sport gets verbal abuse and has to bash his b1shop up until the age of 21 at least

however the tables soon turn

the geek gets a solid career and then becomes more attractive to the opposite sex (and can pay for 1000 a night hi-class russian hookers)

the sports guy has sh@gged so many women and snorted so much dope that his education went to pot and he ends up on the big-mac station supporting 3 chav scum children

The geek has the last laugh...forget sports

Lord Shrek...on a roll!!!!!

FlightMan 19 July 2006 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Jaydee5
The best thing you can do for your kids is to teach them to lose with dignity. And then teach them to fcuking fight like buggery to win the next time :thumb:

Absolutley spot on m8!! :notworthy