ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Scooby to Evo, but not the other way around? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/5292-scooby-to-evo-but-not-the-other-way-around.html)

Stef 26 October 2000 12:06 AM

Perhaps something to do with cost? Not many people go 'backwards' with cars.
I wonder how many of the ex-Scoob owners had STi's as opposed to UK cars?

Stef.

Anil Ootam 26 October 2000 12:09 AM

Yep,

Scoobys are crap, EVOs are not.....

Just kidding. I loved my previous scooby and still think they're fantastic cars.

I changed to an EVO because I wanted something new and something different that wasn't as common. It wasn't a cost related thing, because the EVO costs me more to run thean my old Scooby.

I'd definitely go back the other way, but the new scooby would have to be an improvement over the EVO for me to change. I bought what I considered to be a better car than the car that I'd previously owned.

I'm not brand loyal, but performance loyal.

Anil.

Bajie 26 October 2000 12:21 AM

Strange. I drove an Evo and really liked it, though I didn't drive it very hard as it was a friends car.
I found it very quiet though.
When I think about changing my scoob, I would'nt buy another one and I don't think I would buy an Evo.
If I stay with four wheel drive I'll get a Skyline as for me it would be a more natural progression.

cwal1 26 October 2000 12:35 AM

I know of someone who had an STI4 and traded it in for an EVO6 without having first test driven it. He picked it up from Holland and drove it for 2 weeks before asking the garage to sell it for him and going back to his STI4.
Whilst my car (STI5) was in for servicing I drove the EVO6 with a view to possibly buying it, as newer is always better !. Drove it for half an hour or so around the roads near Mallory and found the STI5 to feel quicker and more involving although the EVO was better on turn in. One thing EVO's will never have is the flat 4 character !

ChrisW.

Martin Stirling 26 October 2000 11:58 AM

Guys,

just a quick observation which originates from a post on the LTR forum. I've noticed that many Evo owners were originally Scooby owners who have move on, yet I have never met or heard of an Evo owner who has gone the other way..

Any thoughts?

MS.

alistair 26 October 2000 02:01 PM

Scoobs been around in bigger numbers for much longer. How often do people change their cars, 2-3 years or so ? How many lancers are older than that ? How many lancer owners have changed theirs for another lancer ?

Martin Stirling 26 October 2000 02:57 PM

Alistair,
the Evo I came out in 92-93 I believe, so they've been around as long as Scoobies. I personally know of a lot of people who have upgraded from a GSR to a Makinnen and also Extreme's and 450's. I'd certainly get a VII if they're sexy enough..

MS.

AWD 26 October 2000 03:07 PM

Martin

The Evo may have been available in Japan as long as the Scooby, but in the UK they have only just become available (non-import). Many people buy an imported higher performance Scooby after they see what the UK model can do.

SWOLL 26 October 2000 04:42 PM

Martin,

The newer EVO's are completely different cars form the originals whereas the basic shape and mechanicals of scoobys haven't changed much.