ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Fitting 3 port boost solenoid (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/529005-fitting-3-port-boost-solenoid.html)

ClintUK 11 July 2006 10:30 AM

Fitting 3 port boost solenoid

Managed to get one from a scrappy - bargain.

Think I've fitted it correctly.

Hose that attached straight to the bottom of my 2 port, I swapped over directly. The pipe on the bottom on the side, was on the other side to my 2 port one, but I connected those 2 together.

For the top pipe on the 3 port I cut and 'T'ed into a pipe that feeds straight into the inlet manfold.

Is this OK and what happens if you get it wrong - I presume you can get over boost and I'm not, so I guess I'm not knackering anything up, just yet :luxhello:

Thanks

AndrewC 11 July 2006 10:39 AM

That doesn't sound right to me.

You are correct that the bottom pipe is the same as the 2 port - connects back to inlet pipe.

Middle pipe goes to actuator

Top pipe goes to bleed off nipple on compressor

There are no t-pieces involved.

ClintUK 11 July 2006 10:50 AM

Ahh

More investigation needed, thanks.

I seem to remember being told that 'any inlet manifold connector would do' for the top pipe so I cut a pipe going to the inlet.

New_scooby_04 11 July 2006 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by ClintUK
Managed to get one from a scrappy - bargain.

Think I've fitted it correctly.

Hose that attached straight to the bottom of my 2 port, I swapped over directly. The pipe on the bottom on the side, was on the other side to my 2 port one, but I connected those 2 together.

For the top pipe on the 3 port I cut and 'T'ed into a pipe that feeds straight into the inlet manfold.

Is this OK and what happens if you get it wrong - I presume you can get over boost and I'm not, so I guess I'm not knackering anything up, just yet :luxhello:

Thanks

Mate, is your car already mapped for the 3 port, I don't think it will run properly if you're on the two port map! I had mine fitted by Bob, immediately before he uploaded the new map.

Ns04

muly 11 July 2006 01:42 PM

This might help mate
http://www.muly.co.uk/3%20port%20fitting.jpg

Midlife...... 11 July 2006 01:46 PM

The Newage ECU cannot run a 3 port properly without being mapped (the ECU is expecting the 2-port) ....

3 port therefore needs fitting and mapped straight away !!

Shaun

AndrewC 11 July 2006 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Midlife......
The Newage ECU cannot run a 3 port properly without being mapped (the ECU is expecting the 2-port) ....

3 port therefore needs fitting and mapped straight away !!

Shaun

Can't entirely agree with that, it's true that with a 3 port you generally need lower duty to achieve the same boost but at a little overboost never hurt anyone :)

Andrew...

ClintUK 11 July 2006 04:41 PM

My car's a 97 MY so not new age although obviously the ECU is still not expecting the 3 port.

I hadn't heard that this might be a problem, as it's sending info rather than being controlled by the ECU.

My understanding is that the 3 port acts faster to better control boost, so why would I potentially get overboost.

Me no understand.

Thanks

New_scooby_04 11 July 2006 04:46 PM

My car's a 97 MY so not new age although obviously the ECU is still not expecting the 3 port.

I hadn't heard that this might be a problem, as it's sending info rather than being controlled by the ECU.

Thanks

Presumably because the ECU is expecting certain info from a 2 port and is now getting different info from a 3 port that it doesn't understand (?) :)

I have a MY99 and when devising my modification plans everyone said get I had to get 3 port fitted right before mapping.

Maybe speak to someone like Bob Rawle?

Ns04

Jolly Green Monster 11 July 2006 05:03 PM

The current ecu map is set up for a 2port.. the 3port will react differently..

the amount of duty expected to reach a required boost level will be less than the ecu will expect and so as Andrew says it is likely to over boost..
However with no restrictor now in the pipework and there would have been in the 2port pipe between the compressor cover and T piece it might respond differently still.. but would still say it will overboost.

Simon

ClintUK 11 July 2006 05:19 PM

Thanks to everyone.

Think I might go and get a diesel, never touch it and take up knitting, although I'd probably stab myself ;-)

Jolly Green Monster 12 July 2006 10:55 AM

Thanks to everyone.

Think I might go and get a diesel, never touch it and take up knitting, although I'd probably stab myself ;-)

lmfao..