ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   Is there a road-tax premium for 4WD cars now? (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/528161-is-there-a-road-tax-premium-for-4wd-cars-now.html)

brickboy 07 July 2006 09:42 AM

Is there a road-tax premium for 4WD cars now?

I know road tax is largely based on emissions, but is there an extra premium for 4WD vehicles on top of the emissions rating too?

cheers, Craig

Reffro 07 July 2006 10:05 AM

No

hail-hail 07 July 2006 10:40 AM

now based on engine size iirc, just got my renewal in, a snip at £190 :eek:

DMC12 07 July 2006 11:54 AM

There is no 4x4 tax as such. All they've done is introduce a new G-Band for vehicles with CO2 of 225 or above. I think its £210 for petrol and £215 for diesel.

Forget me if I'm wrong, but I think this only applies to new vehicles.

Cheers

Steve.

Marky9074 07 July 2006 12:01 PM

But they want to bring in an over 250 emissions that has been suggested as £1800!!!!

We should be OK, but the EVO boys won't be...

The environmental pressure group wants a new, £1,800 punitive tax band, to be paid annually, for all cars which exceed 250g/km - "roughly 25mpg," says Greenpeace's Mark Strutt.

AllyJ 07 July 2006 12:23 PM

road tax and certainly premium tax on CO2 is completly wrong anyway. I for example drive a 225 kg blah blah STI..yet I do only 3500 miles a year...vs some diesel commuter who does 15k a year at 150 CO2 who does more environmental damage? Oddly it isnt me...so why dont they just scrub road tax and whack it on fuel, the more the use the more you pay, just doesnt make any sense this way, well apart from 'fundraising' for the exchequor of course, certainly doesnt discourage excess car useage.

I chose to move nearer my work and use the train everyday at work so I dont need to use my car, why should I pay more road tax?? pay more fuel tax if i use more sure no arguments from me.

Scooby-Doo 07 July 2006 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by AllyJ
road tax and certainly premium tax on CO2 is completly wrong anyway. I for example drive a 225 kg blah blah STI..yet I do only 3500 miles a year...vs some diesel commuter who does 15k a year at 150 CO2 who does more environmental damage? Oddly it isnt me...so why dont they just scrub road tax and whack it on fuel, the more the use the more you pay, just doesnt make any sense this way, well apart from 'fundraising' for the exchequor of course, certainly doesnt discourage excess car useage.

I chose to move nearer my work and use the train everyday at work so I dont need to use my car, why should I pay more road tax?? pay more fuel tax if i use more sure no arguments from me.

Spot on. And they can remove a whole government department within the DVLA.

Marky9074 07 July 2006 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by AllyJ

Quite so, and it has also been said that as 4x4 drivers are using twice as much petrol as anyone else, that they actually 'are' paying more in all the stealth taxes etc, so why should they have a car tax premium?

screech 08 July 2006 12:35 PM

basing tax on engine size or emmissions isn't very fair, should be more on usage. so how about 0.001p extra per litre of fuel but cap fuel prices and abolish road tax

scooby-si 09 July 2006 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by screech
basing tax on engine size or emmissions isn't very fair, should be more on usage. so how about 0.001p extra per litre of fuel but cap fuel prices and abolish road tax

and put it on the mileage as well also offpeak and peak driving hours:thumb:,this is one i will be voting for, it will save me £££ :D