ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   South or North....where's the best place to live? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/528145-south-or-north-wheres-the-best-place-to-live.html)

sarasquares 07 July 2006 07:58 AM

South or North....where's the best place to live?

i wouldnt swap living in the South for anything:luxhello:

the weather is one of the main reasons and higer wages:thumb:

hutton_d 07 July 2006 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by sarasquares
i wouldnt swap living in the South for anything:luxhello:

the weather is one of the main reasons and higer wages:thumb:

Thought binmen got paid the same all over the country .... :D

Dave

sarasquares 07 July 2006 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by hutton_d
Thought binmen got paid the same all over the country .... :D

Dave

the pickings in the bins are better quality down here:lol1:

Rabid 07 July 2006 08:04 AM

Higher wages are a fallacy and increased cost of living would eat them up anyway. Furthermore the roads are crowded in the South, the people are unfriendly, the beer is warm and flat and large swathes of people either talk like yardies or in some kind of mockney 'orwight guv'nor' accent- despite them being from fecking Swaffham (for example).

Mind you up North it rains all the time, there are fewer decent jobs, the beer is cold and has a massive head on it, property isn't as good an investment and you can hardly tell what the people are saying their accents are so thick and glottal stops so pronounced.

Both of them suck, go live in a decent country.:)

PS I should add I was in Swaffham recently and it's a fcuking ****ehole like most of the places in essex I went as well (I know Swaffham is in Norfolk BTW)

sarasquares 07 July 2006 08:10 AM

i wouldnt mind being Spanish but i dont suppose thats going to happen :lol1:

have to agree with the accents, Northerners are too difficult to understand. we do have cold beer in the South, you just have to drink it fast :D

Rabid 07 July 2006 08:11 AM

Actually I forgot to add North or South is OK really, the real ****ehole where people sound like retards is the Midlands

"yow wont froiis with dat" :)

Any offence taken at these comments can be stuck firmly up your own rear :razz:

sarasquares 07 July 2006 08:11 AM

yeah i wouldnt want to live near the middle bit :freak3:

oh yeah, the Northerners have no dress sense and they cant sing :thumb:

The Chief 07 July 2006 08:25 AM

I'll admit there are more and better paid jobs darn sarf but this is offset by higher mortgages and costs of living from going out to the local pub to restaurants.

I have friends in Brighton and they dont have a pot to p*ss in and have to live in a housing association flat because they dont qualify for a mortgage. a 1 bed flat is 150k i really feel sorry for them.

OOp north yeah ok the weathers s**t especially where i live but we have some great countryside and fantastic driving roads within 10 minutes of my house. I paid 49k for my house 8 years ago and its a nice (ish) 3 bed semi in a nice area with a huge driveway.

And the wages are not much lower than down south - yeah there are not as many well paid jobs, but you can always go into manchester for them. i know loads who earn 30k plus (and a lot who earn less)

I wouldn't live down south for all the tea in China :)

(except for Cornwall) is that classed as down south???:wonder:

OllyK 07 July 2006 08:30 AM

I've lived in Yorkshire (twice), Wiltshire, Manchester, Leicestershire, London / Surrey and Derbyshire. I'll take Yorkshire & Derbyshire any day of the week and twice on Sundays!

RMA26 07 July 2006 09:04 AM

Wouldn't swop Yorkshire for anything!

Each area has it's good & bad points!

hectic 07 July 2006 09:06 AM

northerners, thick
southerners , lairy
midlanders, chilled, no airs or graces safe in the knowledge we have the best (or worst) of both worlds!:)

*yes that does mean we're both thick and lairy..:)

Scoobychick 07 July 2006 09:08 AM

I'm from Hertfordshire but moved to North Yorkshire just over two years ago and there's no doubt about it Yorkshire is one of the best counties in England, if not the best. I earn the same here as I would down south it's just that it goes further up here :thumb:

The only improvements I'd like to make are a) make the summer a bit longer like we have down south and b) get more southerners to live here so I'm surrounded by my own kind ;)

Having said that though the place I really want to live is the north east of Scotland because it rocks!

James Neill 07 July 2006 09:20 AM

The North I'd say. No hose pipe bans up there, so you can wash your car. It's a 400 mile round trip to the parents (in Wakefield) though so it costs a bit for a clean car mind.

James Neill 07 July 2006 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by scoobychick
... north east of Scotland because it rocks!

You mean it is rock, surely?

StickyMicky 07 July 2006 09:21 AM

must admit, when i was in Yorkshire for a week or so on training, pretty much of the people were pretty friendly, this is after i spent the best part of 3/4 months living down in Reading, while the majority down there are just miserable stuck up knobs IMO

i wouldn't like to live down south full time.

the further north you get, the nicer people seam to be, until you hit Scotland and they go all ginger and grumpy ;)

richiewong 07 July 2006 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
the further north you get, the nicer people seam to be, until you hit Scotland and they go all ginger and grumpy ;)

PMSL:lol1:

I'll stick with the North, Gods country especially rural Northumberand and decent easy travelling to the Toon for good night out:thumb:

davegtt 07 July 2006 09:37 AM

North, people smile and at least try to be friendly and alot more down to earth ;)

dpb 07 July 2006 09:44 AM

East,west - homes best :thumb:

amazinggrace 07 July 2006 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by richiewong
PMSL:lol1:

I'll stick with the North, Gods country especially rural Northumberand and decent easy travelling to the Toon for good night out:thumb:

I agree with you :) Having lived in the North East of England, South of England and South West of Wales, I know which I prefer.

London is a nightmare, too much hard work to get from a to b, same in Wales, everything is so far away a trip to Tesco is like a military campaign. Our house in the North East is 15 mins from Newcastle City Centre and less than 5 mins to the A1, but if I look out of the window I can see greenbelt land in every direction :D

Duck_Pond 07 July 2006 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Rabid
Actually I forgot to add North or South is OK really, the real ****ehole where people sound like retards is the Midlands

"yow wont froiis with dat" :)

Any offence taken at these comments can be stuck firmly up your own rear :razz:

So you're from the Midlands then Rabid :)

dpb 07 July 2006 09:53 AM

or Preston...;)

lightning101 07 July 2006 10:01 AM

Waits for the next "who do you like better - blacks or whites" or "muslims or christians" :mad:

Rabid 07 July 2006 10:02 AM

I'm from, quote, "lots of different places"

I try to get around a bit and sample the best each place has to offer. So far I enjoyed the SE the best.

People from the midlands still sound like retarded losers though.

Duck_Pond 07 July 2006 10:08 AM

Right, so you like warm, flat beer, crowded roads and unfriendly folk. :lol1: Jellied eel anyone?

image doctor 07 July 2006 10:09 AM

I'd like to live as near as possible to the channel tunnel......that's the best place to live.

sarasquares 07 July 2006 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by James Neill
The North I'd say. No hose pipe bans up there, so you can wash your car. It's a 400 mile round trip to the parents (in Wakefield) though so it costs a bit for a clean car mind.

down south you can clean your car and visit the family and your car is still clean :thumb:

Duck_Pond 07 July 2006 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by image doctor
I'd like to live as near as possible to the channel tunnel......that's the best place to live.

You have a market for "ask no questions" labourers then? :)

RMA26 07 July 2006 10:15 AM

I'm from up North - However, I do have a thing for southern women!:norty:

hectic 07 July 2006 10:16 AM

I try to get around a bit and sample the best each place has to offer. So far I enjoyed the SE the best.

prolly best for you, you keep moving around a bit then, Pikey fekker!:lol1:

RichWalk 07 July 2006 10:18 AM

Thats impressive, where for example was your right leg born?:Whatever_