ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Son's first drive (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/528078-sons-first-drive.html)

pauld37 06 July 2006 09:01 PM

Son's first drive

Just took my 16 year old son out for his first drive (in the wifes car :D) He will be 17 in January so thought it might be an idea to give him a bit of a taster.
He was quite overawed by it :eek: and couldn't get out of the habit of looking down to see if his feet were on the right pedals :cuckoo:

The thought of him being let loose on the road is a bit scary.

My Dad hadn't taken me out in his car prior to me having lessons, and I'm sure I went straight out on the road with my teacher :wonder:.

It didn't do me any harm though, 10 lessons later and I had passed :thumb:.

Anyone remember their experiances of the first driving lesson?

lpski1 06 July 2006 09:38 PM

:D first lesson was with my American neighbour (a woman too, shocking) she drove to an old airfield in Loughton (now a David Lloyds resort) great fun. it was quite stoney, so i learnt from an early age what wheelspinning was. :lol1:

think i was 16, like you i passed my test after 10 lessons. :thumb:

RON 06 July 2006 09:52 PM

HI Paul, i grew up with cars, i have a picture of me steering a car whilst stood on my mums or dads lap, at age maybe 2yrs...... i used to manouvre cars into and out of garages all the time as a youngster, and i rebuilt my first car before i was 17, i drove it on my 17th birthday to get to work, i never had any lessons..... and i passed the test first time, in my car..... never had any trouble since....;) One of the frist cars i drove, (which i still have) has the brake pedal on the right, and the throttle in the middle,....... when i get in the car now, it just comes naturally, i never even have to think........
It might well be worth getting your son familiar with the controls, whilst he;s sat still in your drive or somewhere maybe slightly less visible...... at his age he won't want to be seen 'practicing' will he......:Whatever_

For god sake don't let him near the Scoob.....

pauld37 06 July 2006 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by RON
For god sake don't let him near the Scoob.....

Told the wife that he wouldn't get on with the stiff clutch, she fell for it :lol1:

RON 06 July 2006 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by pauld37
Told the wife that he wouldn't get on with the stiff clutch, she fell for it :lol1:

If she fell for that, she'll believe you when you tell her it NEEDS new whells cos the old ones are going 'square....' LOL, and it needs a remap to make the fuel consumption better.....:luxhello:

Jaydee5 06 July 2006 10:03 PM

LOL and :lol1: You think his first driving is scarey? :eek:

Think of all the other*firsts* he will be doing/has done :lol1: MUCH more scarey :lol1:

RON 06 July 2006 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Jaydee5
Think of all the other*firsts* he will be doing/has done :lol1: MUCH more scarey :lol1:

It's not the 'doing' as much as the repocutions......

Jaydee5 06 July 2006 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by RON
It's not the 'doing' as much as the repocutions......

Bet his Dad wasn't around, either :lol1:

Turbohot 06 July 2006 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by pauld37

Anyone remember their experiances of the first driving lesson?

I learnt it with our driver.He used to tell me that on many occasions he felt as if his heart was beating in his mouth,he was that scared!:eek: :D

I took my son out only once (not in Subaru) and I did not like it:(
Being on a passanger seat,I kept pushing imaginary padels and near was ****ting meself:cry:
Himself and his driving instructor deserve the credit for him to pass his test the first time:)

Stephb1986 06 July 2006 11:04 PM

jesus my first driving lesson was with my step dad in our little rascal van at the time! then he let me drive his after a while, and now im allowed to drive anything but mainly vans. It was on a local industrial estate i stalled first time and then i got the hang of it :D

speed demoness 06 July 2006 11:11 PM

been driving now for just over 20 years.
i learned with an instructor ( £7.50 an hour) in a mk 1 fiesta.
only took me between about 8 -12 lessons before i put in for my test.. passed 1st time (a month before my 18th birthday!):thumb:

my eldest is now at the age of wanting to learn too... but seeing as she lives in manchester with her dad.. i guess it's all down to him to take her out ! hehehe

TopBanana 06 July 2006 11:12 PM

tsk - 4 lessons from zero to hero! (ok so they were quite long lessons!)

cw42 07 July 2006 12:56 AM

I went out with my oldest brother when I was 16, he was 22 and very impatient :( Nearly put me off driving! Passed my test first time though :)

Let my son have a go of my old scoob at bruntingthorpe last year on a track day :) He loved it, but I wouldn't let him touch the accelorator, just the clutch and the brakes :)
You can get classes now where kids very young can go driving, here's stormys son driving his dads spec c that same day! :D lucky sod! :)
http://www.scoobysmacs.co.uk/gallery...c_brunters.jpg

Nat 07 July 2006 08:29 AM

Lol. I remember driving all sorts of M-Benz vehicles at their open days at old airfields from about the age of Ten. Everything from S Class' to their biggest Trucks (powerliner 2?) at the time. Mucho fun :D

Leslie 08 July 2006 12:58 PM

My initial problem when changing gear with a steering column change on a Vauxholl Velox was moiving the steering in the opposite direction! :)

Soon got over that though. My mate used to go out driving with his brother at the age of 12 in his dad's Triumph Gloria wearing a trilby hat and glasses with a false moustache :D

Les

J4CKO 08 July 2006 05:58 PM

I had my three driving sat on my lap in a field at the in laws, younger two were ok but the eldest hoiked the steering that hard I thought he was going to turn it over !

shooter007 08 July 2006 09:44 PM

passed first time at 18 in chrysler avenger yes that s how old i am couldnt fault bsm only trouble was gear lever self centered so you had to remember your gears if im stopped at lights etc i stll keep checking bloody gears and that was nearly 32 years ago