ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Best way to put stain on spindles etc (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/527814-best-way-to-put-stain-on-spindles-etc.html)

^OPM^ 05 July 2006 08:35 PM

Best way to put stain on spindles etc

Just had a new stair rail put in, one with spindles etc-decided i want to stain it-whats best to use-a brush? but is this likely to flick the stain off onto my carpet? or someone at work said a cheap sponge-whats best and easist way people on here have found-thank you

mart360 05 July 2006 09:55 PM

put em in a lathe and turn em slowly whilst applying stain

Mart

^OPM^ 05 July 2006 09:58 PM

erm not quite possible as its all been fitted in

Originally Posted by mart360
put em in a lathe and turn em slowly whilst applying stain

Mart

brumdaisy 05 July 2006 10:06 PM

yes a paint brush is likely to splatter. In terms of the finish you will get I have found clothes and sponges work just fine. I use cheapo jayclothes (the blue and white stripe things) as they dont tend to drip either.

^OPM^ 05 July 2006 10:08 PM

did they get in all the nooks and crannies?

Originally Posted by brumdaisy
yes a paint brush is likely to splatter. In terms of the finish you will get I have found clothes and sponges work just fine. I use cheapo jayclothes (the blue and white stripe things) as they dont tend to drip either.

brumdaisy 05 July 2006 10:13 PM

Yep - but then I restore antique furniture so I've had plenty of practise. Its fiddly, its time consuming but whatever you do dont rush it- thats when the tin of stain does somersaults down the stairs.... with the lid in your hand :(

edited: get some odd bits of wood to practise on if you've never done it before but honestly its pretty easy, long strokes and dont try to apply the stain too thinly. I've heard loads of people say its difficult to get it looking even - cant say I've ever had that problem - even when I first started.

^OPM^ 05 July 2006 10:17 PM

I dont mind spending hours rubbing stain into knobs-mind u i might be lost if each one takes longer then 10 seconds :eek:

Originally Posted by brumdaisy
Yep - but then I restore antique furniture so I've had plenty of practise. Its fiddly, its time consuming but whatever you do dont rush it- thats when the tin of stain does somersaults down the stairs.... with the lid in your hand :(

edited: get some odd bits of wood to practise on if you've never done it before but honestly its pretty easy, long strokes and dont try to apply the stain too thinly. I've hard loads of people say its difficult to get it looking even - cant say I've ever had that problem - even when I first started.

Lee247 05 July 2006 10:24 PM

Hiya OPM :)
I agree with daisy on this one. We did ours with jayclothes. Worked a treat :thumb:

^OPM^ 05 July 2006 10:26 PM

hi-sounds like jay clothes it is-oh get on msn as well :D

Originally Posted by 84of300
Hiya OPM :)
I agree with daisy on this one. We did ours with jayclothes. Worked a treat :thumb:

Lee247 05 July 2006 10:31 PM

It's not working :( :(

^OPM^ 05 July 2006 10:36 PM

damn-mines working fine tho

It's not working :( :(

Lee247 05 July 2006 10:38 PM

Will have a go at it tomorrow, too late now :)
Has happened 3 times in the last couple of weeks.
Anyway, you should be staining spindles :lol1:

^OPM^ 05 July 2006 10:40 PM

my hands have been otherwise engaged tonight-in a not so disimilar task :Whatever_

Will have a go at it tomorrow, too late now :)
Has happened 3 times in the last couple of weeks.
Anyway, you should be staining spindles :lol1:

Lee247 05 July 2006 10:43 PM

:lol1:

dpb 05 July 2006 10:43 PM

youll need to get a rag-on.