ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Chocolate question for the oldies.... (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/52778-chocolate-question-for-the-oldies.html)

BarryK 11 June 2001 10:39 AM

I will just say this "Feed Aztecs to me".

Then I'll say re Treets etc. It's Globalization. Sensible names like "Marathon" have been turned into pan European drivel "Snickers" wtf is that all about?

Funniest choc ad for me was Hot Chocolate's Greatest hits (ie You Sexy Thing etc.) when the singer's (Errol Brown)head was melded out to become a Malteser on the front cover of the record sleeve.

How cool is that?

I've kicked stuff like this off before. There are tons of things people my age seem to deny ever existed. Maybe I was on an alien ship when normal fags were being replaced (BIG TIME) by New Smoking Material. Claimed as x million times more safe than smoking......

Oooerrr, but they hadn't fessed up that they knew smoking was dangerous yet!!! EEk clear the shelves, pretend it never happened.

And I just need to find one person who had "whipped margarine" on their butties in the 1970s. Where did that go then?

I could go on. But I'll let someone else.

And no Maltesers were never advertised as melt in your mouth not in your hand, largely because they do.

Treets melt and leave sticky cack on your palms. The "cheap wax" coating is the much talked about Carnauba wax what you put on your posh car. Honest, check the wrapper. M&Ms, Skittles blah blah blah.

[Edited by BarryK - 11/6/2001 10:41:44 AM]

DazV 11 June 2001 11:58 AM

oh man, Texan bars - loved them!

I think we should write to the powers that be and bring back the texan bar!!

Anyone remember Caramac ?

Who's getting a selection box this Christmas ?!?!?

[Edited by DazV - 11/6/2001 12:00:10 PM]

BarryK 11 June 2001 01:08 PM

Didn't black jacks used to be sambos, or were they different?

Oh and while I'm on, Fruit Salads and Rhubarb and Custards.

Caramac and Milky Bars, mmmmmmmmmm.

Selection boxes, oh yes please!!!

[Edited by BarryK - 11/6/2001 1:09:12 PM]

carl 11 June 2001 06:03 PM

[Oops, double post]

[Edited by carl - 11/6/2001 6:03:48 PM]

Web Guru 11 August 2001 06:58 PM

You can still buy Caramacs but I haven't seen any Icebreakers around for a while!!!??? I also miss Poppets!! Would you Risk It for a Swisket?
:D :D :D

[Edited by Web Guru - 11/8/2001 7:00:07 PM]

CRAFT 05 November 2001 06:51 PM

Remember the advert slogan for minstrals.....
"milk chocolate that melts in your mouth & not in your hand"?
well was the same slogan ever used for malteasers around 30/40 years ago, some of us at work are pretty sure it's just for minstrals, but 'the scarecrow & conspiracy theory dave' are adamant
it was also done for malteasers.
Anyone know any websites I can visit etc...

Also, can anyone tell me what the phrase "a dutch uncle" means??
Read it in a book and didn't have a clue, never heard it before!

CRAFThttp://www.freakygamers.com/smilies/...wink/thumb.gif

SCOOP 05 November 2001 07:02 PM

Have you tried
totallyuselessfactsaboutchocolate.com

SCOOP :D :D :D

carl 05 November 2001 08:18 PM

Why would maltesers not melt in your hand? The thing about Minstrels is they had this coating on that stopped them melting.

Silent Monkey 05 November 2001 08:25 PM

See http://www.quinion.com/words/qa/qa-dut1.htm for brief explanation of various "Dutch" terms.

Don't recall anything other than Minstrels using that slogan.

Maltesers were introduced in 1936 so may have been before my time :D

"Melts in your mouth, not in your hands" was used for M&Ms from 1954! Must find something better to do than searching for trivia.

[Edited by Silent Monkey - 11/5/2001 8:31:04 PM]

[Edited by Silent Monkey - 11/5/2001 8:41:32 PM]

boomer 05 November 2001 08:51 PM

CRAFT,

i think the confectionary that you are talking about are (were) Treats - however you could get them to melt if you kept them in your hand for long enough :D

mb

albob 05 November 2001 10:08 PM

or were they TREETS :) :)
peanuts covered in luverly yummie choco-late ;)
alan

boomer 05 November 2001 11:25 PM

alan,

i think that you are correct, it was "Treets".

Funnily enough, CRAFT is not the only person to worry about such things, see:

http://www.newsgate.co.uk/uk/uk.food+drink.chocolate/msg00419.html

mb

BOB.T 06 November 2001 12:13 AM

I thought it was minstrals that didn't do that thing..in there:confused:

DazV 06 November 2001 12:49 AM

"Melts in your mouth, not in your hand"
-Aren't you thinking of Anthrax ?

Minstrals melt in your hand too.

Minstrals used to be called 'Treats' and came in a blue wrapper I think. The peanut treats came in a yellow wrapper.

Showing my 30 years now.

Funkii Munkii 06 November 2001 07:07 AM

YELLOW - PEANUT
BLUE - TOFFEE
I THINK ORANGE FOR CHOCOLATE
DEFINATELY 3 TYPES

ONLY AWARE OF MINSTRELS NOT MELTING, SPRAYED WITH A LOW GRADE POLISH TO MAKE EN SHINNY YOU KNOW.

LIKE WHEN REVELS WERE IN A WHITE BAG WITH RED WRITING AND CRUNCHIES WERE ORANGE WITH WHITE WRITING AND OH FCUK IM OFF ON A CHOCOHOLIC NIGHTMARE IT WILL BE CABANAS AND NUTTY'S NEXT ANYONE REMEMBER THEM? DIFFERENT GRADE, AND YOU KNOW YOUVE LOST IT WHEN YOU BRING UP A TEXAN, OH CHRIST IVE BEEN CLEAN FOR 24 HOURS MAN, NO CHOC, COLD TURKEY............

CRAFT 06 November 2001 07:31 AM

lol@funkii, bang on with the Texan bar, just been discussing
that at work! Nobody had heard of it, what a fantastic choclate
bar, used to ache your jaw coz it was so chewy!! The nutty bar was always sold as the healthy snack, a bit like trackers today, and that dire packaging, see through brown wrap, seem to remember only my aunties buying this for me.
I remember Treets as well, just like peanut m&m's.

CRAFT http://www.theunholytrinity.org/crac...wink/thumb.gif

ps. Bob, what are you doin' in here m8, this forum's for sensible
peeps not full time muppetshttp://www.theunholytrinity.org/crac.../yeltongue.gif
oh, let me guess...you came in here by mistake, yeh;)

Kevin Groat 06 November 2001 07:59 AM

Craft & Funki,

Texan
Texan
Texan

We've discussed this at work too - whatever happened to the Texan bar - it was pretty popular so I can only assume it was full of funny 'e' numbers. How about a campaign to bring it back.

Kevin.

fast bloke 06 November 2001 10:20 AM

I think it was the depleted plutonium content that made it soooo chewy. Sellafield stopped selling them the vital ingredient, so they had to cease production.

Does anyone remember the ad where the chick eats a Malteser and jumps off the diving board then floats away. must have been late 70's. you just don't get quality ads like that in these days of advertising honesty

SCOOP 06 November 2001 10:33 AM

Reminds me of another advertising slogan,
Marathon I think was,
"Whats got a hazlenut in every bite"
Answer "Squirrel Sh!t"

SCOOP :D: :D:

carl 06 November 2001 10:49 AM

SCOOP -- that was Topic :D

TonyG 06 November 2001 12:29 PM

Caramac! I used to love that when I was a kid. Every Saturday, my parents would take me to visit one of my aunties, and she would always buy me and my sister sweets from the corner shop across the street. I always had caramac. Funnily enough, it's still on sale and it still tastes the same. Ah! takes me back...
Does anyone know if Curly Wurlies are still on sale?

dba 06 November 2001 12:45 PM

yes Curly Wurlies are still on sale as are Parma Violets,Cherry Lips and Black Jacks.

All seem smaller though.

Nimbus 06 November 2001 01:10 PM

Any one remember "Spangles"? Not chocolate, but a hard sweet.

Caramac. Yuck! After one mouth full it was enough for me!

Brendan Hughes 06 November 2001 03:01 PM

Well, at least Golden Nuggets have returned after a long break!

BJH

SeanG 06 November 2001 03:49 PM

All I can add to the thread is 2 words:

SPACE DUST

Sean

Rapid Chap 06 November 2001 03:57 PM

I never fed Space dust to the dog. Honest. Please don't lock me in the dark cupboard again auntie.....

Nimbus 06 November 2001 04:04 PM

Anybody ever by that taboco stuff that you could eat? It came in a read pouch like packet (like real tabaco). I think it was strips of cocanut covered in some red/brown colouring to make it look like tabaco.

I wounder why they don't make that anymore..? ;)

fast bloke 06 November 2001 04:16 PM

ROTF @ rapid chap - now you come to mention it, I did feed Space dust to the dog. It kept tring to cover its nose with its paws, but it always came back for more.

Did a dentist invent highland toffee? New filling Saaah?

Toerag 06 November 2001 04:24 PM

Does anyone remember 'Pacers' which looked like opal fruits (Sunburst) except they were green and mint flavoured? They were great!

Nimbus 06 November 2001 04:46 PM

Yea, had that green strip through the middle...