ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Lag, Lag, and more damn Lag (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/52752-lag-lag-and-more-damn-lag.html)

IWatkins 11 May 2001 05:10 PM

LOL :D Sorry I cannot be more constructive, but lag is basically the time delay between when the compressor blades on the turbo are spinning enough to make positive pressure (boost) until the time the inlet tract between the turbo and engine is pressurised to give positive pressure (boost) at the engine intakes. This lag appears after every gear change or lift.

There are quite a few ways to improve this type of lag, but I do not 100% fully understand the ins and outs of them. I'm sure someone who knows what they are *really* talking about will jump in and help.

Cheers

Ian

[Edited by IWatkins - 11/5/2001 5:12:47 PM]

zjs 05 November 2001 04:41 PM

LAG!!! Gotta be one of the most irritating things in the world!!

Who's the genius who knows how to minimise / eliminate (!!!!) it?!

Zak

IWatkins 05 November 2001 04:52 PM

Get an atmo car ? :D

zjs 05 November 2001 04:59 PM

An atmo car?! I'd rather cut myself off at the knees!!!

submannz 05 November 2001 07:56 PM

Install some anti lag, not good for the turbo though

mega_stream 05 November 2001 09:10 PM

Get a catless downpipe, did wonders on mine :D

Nigel Bowles 07 November 2001 09:33 AM

Get a catless system and down pipe, get the downpipe covered in exhaust wrapped, (dont ask why it works, it just makes a difference).
Still not happy, you could always fit a NOS kit tuned to act as antilag, this will basically cut the nitrous when a pre determined boost is reached.

RICH WILD 08 November 2001 10:24 AM

Fit lightened pulleys,

On mine it's noticeably reduced time before car starts boosting.
The three wheel things on the front of your engine (4 with aircon) weigh about 11kgs. Lightened ones weigh 2kg.

car now more responsive off boost.

Also, (not got one but) lightened flywheel might help, but may sacrifice some driveability in town - could become a bit lurchy.
Engine braking on lift off may be more severe and sudden.

Rich

Pete Croney 09 November 2001 04:40 PM

11kg ??? Someone's been pulling your plonker Rich. The main crank pulley weighs 2.6kg and I suspect the rest weigh about half a kilo, combined.

To compare the effective mass reduction, use (PI times the average radius to where the weight is removed) squared x the amount of weight removed.

Compare what lightened pulley wheels save you, with taking 4kg off a flywheel at an average radius of 125mm :eek:

Taking weight off any rotating pulley wheel, flywheel or road wheel is going to help acceleration, but it needs to be quite a bit of weight to be noticed.

JDM_Stig 25 May 2019 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by scoobs80 (Post 12053677)
what a **** forum this is,it took 6 month for some dumbass to reply to the ops question so i bet he really needed your help in the end.
i posted a simaler question yesterday,18 years after this thread but im not waiting 6 ****in month for some smart arse pricks.
account deleted&thanks for **** all

Dont let the door hit you on the ass as you leave then,
People have lives and don`t spend 24/7 sat waiting for you to ask a question,

Russell38 25 May 2019 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig (Post 12053707)
Dont let the door hit you on the ass as you leave then,
People have lives and don`t spend 24/7 sat waiting for you to ask a question,

Got his knickers in a right twist :lol:

albob 25 May 2019 07:04 PM

Must be the quickest 'flounce' on record ! (Good riddance..)

silver-sub 25 May 2019 07:17 PM

Holy thread revival!