ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Question about Police Car response (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/526292-question-about-police-car-response.html)

248SPG 29 June 2006 10:50 AM

Question about Police Car response

Hi All,

While driving home last night in the traffic out of Reading I was passed by serveral different types of Police vechile (Astra, Transit and Vectra).

They were all battling through the traffic with the lights on but no siren and were only helping people to notice them by the slight use of there horn when they couldn't get past.

Is there any reason for this other than the fact that they were on a raid or something and did not want the intended location/people to know they were coming?????

Many Thanks

Steve

DCI Gene Hunt 29 June 2006 10:51 AM

End of shift & wanted to get home? :D

miltski 29 June 2006 10:53 AM

if they had the sirens on then everyone would try and move over straight away probably causing more congestion slowing the police down,
just my opinion incase its not the reason

Jamescsti 29 June 2006 11:03 AM

I am a Police response driver (wait's for the usual abuse)

It's not always nececcery to use the siren's, it can do more harm than good in bad traffic, as a lot of drivers just panic and spread themselves all over the road, which makes it more difficult to get through, it's much easier if everyone is in nice straight lines.
However at the end of the day it's down to the driver, and we have to justify what we are doing if we have an accident, my usual preference is to use both lights and sirens, to cover myself as much as anything if things do go wrong.

But as someone said above, with the sirens, everyone within a half mile radius know's you are coming, so if going to a burglary it can alert the suspect's you are coming. :D

Andy-C 29 June 2006 11:04 AM

Can they only legallly use the blues and twos when called to an emergency.

If they only use the lights, it may be possible that they were not attending emergency calls

JMHO

Edited to say: That answered my question :notworthy

Da Booga 29 June 2006 11:06 AM

I Think this was explained on a recent police series on TV (can't remember which one)

AFAIK it's so they don't panic people into making wrong decisions and therefore crashing or causing more of a blockage in the traffic.

248SPG 29 June 2006 11:11 AM

ah ha

Thanks for that James.

Probably best for them not to use the Sirens then with the standard of driving that happens in Reading during Rush hour :D

They all went down the same side road so must of been going to a burgulary or something.

Classic 29 June 2006 11:15 AM

They were trying to get to the donut shop before it closed.:p

Only jokeing.

DCI Gene Hunt 29 June 2006 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Jamescsti
I am a Police response driver (wait's for the usual abuse)

You poor thing.......:rolleyes:

It's not always nececcery to use the siren's, it can do more harm than good in bad traffic, as a lot of drivers just panic and spread themselves all over the road, which makes it more difficult to get through, it's much easier if everyone is in nice straight lines.
However at the end of the day it's down to the driver, and we have to justify what we are doing if we have an accident, my usual preference is to use both lights and sirens, to cover myself as much as anything if things do go wrong.
:sleep:

But as someone said above, with the sirens, everyone within a half mile radius know's you are coming, so if going to a burglary it can alert the suspect's you are coming. :D
IS that why you do it then.... less paper work..:rolleyes: or do you give the local chippy a heads up that you're on your way..:rolleyes:

Classic 29 June 2006 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt

IS that why you do it then.... less paper work..:rolleyes: or do you give the local chippy a heads up that you're on your way..:rolleyes:

:lol: :lol: :D

Bonehead 29 June 2006 12:10 PM

Muppet

Leslie 29 June 2006 12:13 PM

I can see the sense of not using the sirens in certain cases. Not much point of letting the crims know you are on the way to catch them really.

Les

Dave Bullock 29 June 2006 12:29 PM

You poor thing.......

Having done loads of advanced driving and rider training I've always thought that a Police reponse driver would be up there with the best jobs in the world. Bet it's a real case of the grass is greener though! :Whatever_

So on that note, what does everyone do for a living AND what is your dream job? (Keep it slightly realistic :rolleyes:)

I'll start.

Currently own an embroidery business :sleep: but would love to be a Police Class 1 driver / rider.

However, with 3 kids, 2 dogs, 2 cats, 2 mice and a wife to support I don't see a change in career looming!! :brickwall

248SPG 29 June 2006 01:36 PM

Seen as I started the original thread I thought it only polite to reply :D

I am the MD for a small IT Support Company based in Reading.

Wanted to be a Fighter Pilot when I was younger but failed the medical due to Asthma and Ezcema. So the next best thing will be to save up and go for a PPL in a few years time.

Wish 29 June 2006 01:51 PM

I wanted to be a Red Arrow ...............

miltski 29 June 2006 03:42 PM

I'm also in the filth(MET) transport OCU, and this is my dream job, and I'm not afraid to say it

248SPG 29 June 2006 03:53 PM

Sorry if I am being dumb but what is OCU?

TonyFlow 29 June 2006 04:18 PM

Organised Crime Unit?

miltski 29 June 2006 04:19 PM

operational command unit, basically we are the MET but not like your local police station, we work transport for london and concentrate on crime etc on the tfl network

Stephb1986 29 June 2006 05:10 PM

hopefully no traffic cops i dislike them very much :)

lordretsudo 29 June 2006 05:52 PM

I was once sat in an unmoving queue in rush hour (on Marton Road for those that know Middlesbrough) when a stolen car driven by a loony overtook several cars including mine at high speed and ploughed into the 2 cars just in front of me - he was being pursued by a police car which had its lights on but no siren. Had the police car used its siren, we'd all have got out of the way and the accident would have been averted.

I've often wondered why the police would be chasing a car through rush hour traffic without using a siren...

Dracoro 29 June 2006 07:41 PM

Or the blues and twos don't work :D who broke 'em??? :

CyprusScooby 30 June 2006 12:32 AM

Blues and Twos can only be used in Emergenies.
Obviously it is reccommended to use the siren in built up traffic and where there are pedestrians about. Last thing you want is somebody stepping out in front of you!

CyprusScooby 30 June 2006 12:35 AM

I remember a story I heard a while back. A young copper phoned the Sgt to say there was something wrong with the blue light on his vehicle. When the Sgt asked what, the young lad replied that the wagon was on top if it!:D

steffiraf 30 June 2006 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by lordretsudo
I was once sat in an unmoving queue in rush hour (on Marton Road for those that know Middlesbrough) when a stolen car driven by a loony overtook several cars including mine at high speed and ploughed into the 2 cars just in front of me - he was being pursued by a police car which had its lights on but no siren. Had the police car used its siren, we'd all have got out of the way and the accident would have been averted.

I've often wondered why the police would be chasing a car through rush hour traffic without using a siren...

I may be being dumb here, but hasnt it already been said, that members of the public are thick, therefore, do silly things at the sound of a siren and block the road? :wonder: