ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Member's Gallery (https://www.scoobynet.com/members-gallery-5/)
-   -   applying graphics... (https://www.scoobynet.com/members-gallery-5/525878-applying-graphics.html)

chocolate_o_brian 27 June 2006 06:04 PM

applying graphics...

hi guys quick one. i wanna apply some graphics, preferably while the car is dry. would polishing the car and then applying them be easier???

i havent got a garage so cant apply them via wetting the car and using a squeegee etc. i wanna have a go but dont wanna end up with bubbles everywhere.

any tips for a little diy:thumb: thanx

Elmer Fudpucker 27 June 2006 06:20 PM

don't do it,please don't do it!

chocolate_o_brian 27 June 2006 06:22 PM

whats that apply graphics? why on earth not mr fudd?

Elmer Fudpucker 27 June 2006 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
whats that apply graphics? why on earth not mr fudd?

Well good taste for a start off!

even the Evo boys dislike them;)
http://www.lancerregister.com/showth...hreadid=115082

chocolate_o_brian 27 June 2006 06:32 PM

yes but that guy had door stacks... not my thing either. i have a pair of subaru "swoosh" graphics for the sides. black stickers on a silver car. very simple design not in your face... ive decided i want them on and would like some advice to apply them not to make my mind up for me. each to their own, you dont like them i do. do you have any advice on applying them or not?

Elmer Fudpucker 27 June 2006 06:36 PM

not:brickwall

chocolate_o_brian 27 June 2006 06:36 PM

ok thanx anyway... anyone else able to help please!!!!

easyscoob 27 June 2006 10:25 PM

yeah you dont want to wax or polish just give it a dam good wash and dry the mutha off. the vinyl you get is pretty easy to put on just stick the top right hand corner on and start to line up if not straight just rip it of (quick pull) and try again. once your happy the top is straight smooth with a sqeegy thing starting from one side to the other, any bubbles that start to appear you can (ahem ) give it a sharp tug away from the body to lift the vinyl and smooth again if all else fails jab with a stanly and smooth.

chocolate_o_brian 27 June 2006 10:38 PM

cheers mate il try and have a go. just there rather big... may take a while but il have a go see what happens. at worst il ruin the graphics lol i guess.

MickWrx 27 June 2006 11:07 PM

Can't really offer advice mate, one of my Friends does this for a living, and he always makes it look easier than it is

but good luck,

And well done mate, another owner whos not scared of showing a bit of individuality

isubaru 27 June 2006 11:31 PM

Brian, i do this for a living and the only sure way of not getting bubbles is to do it wet, but its messy and can end up looking worse.
When applying graphics dry its simply down to technique, try to line the decal up with the backing off, then squeegee from the middle whilst working to one end keeping the decal off of the surface, then repeat to the other end.
The theory is to 'chase' any air from under the decal, hence holding it slightly off the surface whilst squeeging.
Other then the above, dont do it in direct sun, and ensure that the surface is as cool as possible.
One more tip that we use for decals with a large surface area, such as the swoosh you mention, is to spray a strong mix of water/fairy liquid on the surface then dry it completely off with paper towels or a clean cloth. It sounds a bit pointless, but it leaves a film on the paintwork with reduces the initial 'grab' of the decal.
All the best, and good luck

EVOLUTION 27 June 2006 11:43 PM

we did mine dry.

Bubble are not the end of the world. Small bubble are easily gotten rid of with some carful handwork and a scalpul.

Mine took an afternoon to fit and the finished article is excellent if i do say so myself.

I also removed all the polish from the car to do mine. BUT, my are only on for another few weeks, they were done for the NBO 4. The car was wiped down with a degreaser, then the decals applied.

Im on uploading the album now, and i will post the link to the album as soon as the upload is complete in about 15, 20 mins

Cheers

John

EVOLUTION 28 June 2006 12:06 AM

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/3357085

there you go

john

chocolate_o_brian 28 June 2006 01:33 AM

bugger it im gonna get a good sleep tonight, wash her down well tomorrow, dry her well and get these ba$tard stickers on. cant look any worse than the last attempt and im sure if i take my time and do it properly i should get a decent result. il try get it done asap and have some pics for you guys soon.

thanx for all your help its much appreciated:thumb: :thumb:

chocolate_o_brian 28 June 2006 05:43 PM

well i tried it today and failed miserably. lots of £££s worth of graphics down the pan! i managed to save the text though on both sides and polished the whole car inc wheels afterwards. did the windows also and she looks rather nice now. shame its not sunny anymore though or i would have taken piccies!!!