ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Toronto (Canada) (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/525517-toronto-canada.html)

Moley 26 June 2006 01:07 PM

Toronto (Canada)

Got back on Friday after a week there.

What an amazing city, want there a few years ago, but was even better than i remember.

Niagra Falls was also very very good

Just gutted i went at the wrong time of year to see the ice hockey.....good excuse to go back this winter :D

Jerome 26 June 2006 02:02 PM

I'd be interested to hear what you thought was amazing about TO. :)

Moley 26 June 2006 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Jerome
I'd be interested to hear what you thought was amazing about TO. :)

How clean it is, how friendly the people are, all the things to do. (compared to here)

MY00PPP 26 June 2006 02:48 PM

been once before. stayed on front street west.

get to travel all over the US and toronto is my favourite place bar none.

great steak house/bar/bistro along front street west past union station ... in an old bank. cant remember the name but just great. little italy is cool too.

Moley 26 June 2006 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by MY00PPP

great steak house/bar/bistro along front street west past union station ... in an old bank. cant remember the name but just great. little italy is cool too.

Jack Aristos?

MY00PPP 26 June 2006 02:52 PM

could have been. go down past union st on f.s.w then hang a left up towards the financial district.

as for the hockey - was there during the lock out... some very unhappy canadians.

seen a few games 'south of the border' since. go capitals!

Shark Man 26 June 2006 03:22 PM

If you liked Toronto, try Vancouver. Its even nicer :)

Moley 26 June 2006 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Shark Man
If you liked Toronto, try Vancouver. Its even nicer :)

Thinking of going there later in the year, or take a few weeks out next year and go all over canada

Leslie 27 June 2006 12:56 PM

You are right Moley, it is a great city.

Les

NAF 27 June 2006 01:09 PM

ya agreed.. great spot , good fun .

I give it 3 thumbs up :D

Fat Boy 27 June 2006 01:25 PM

New York run by the Swiss....Vancouver is a million times better

Markus 27 June 2006 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by MY00PPP

Sounds like Harbour 60. Think the building is the old Port Authority building.

Instead of doing Toronto, what you should have done is got up to Montreal for the grand prix, which is where I've been all weekend :D

Toronto is ok, but like anywhere there are good points and bad points about it.

Dave T-S 27 June 2006 01:54 PM

If you liked Toronto, try Vancouver. Its even nicer
I was going to say exactly the same. In my experience Canada gets nicer the further West you go and Vancouver is a brilliant city.

Niagara is a good experience so-so on the Canadian side unbelievably tacky on the American side ;) The Christmas shop in Niagara on the Lake is amazing! :)

Montreal is too close to the frogs ;)

If you do go to Toronto you have to go up to the top viewing platform of the CN tower and look down through your feet through the glass floor to the road 1450 feet or whatever below :D

Drunken Bungle Whore 27 June 2006 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Dave T-S
If you do go to Toronto you have to go up to the top viewing platform of the CN tower and look down through your feet through the glass floor to the road 1450 feet or whatever below :D

Been to Toronto a couple of times - and did the glass floor last time! Couldn't stand on it on my first attempt - so went upstairs to the bar, had a couple of beers and had another go - no problem! Took a photo straight down between my feet to the ground far, faaaaaar below!

Fantastic city - would love to try Vancouver next time!

Moley 27 June 2006 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Dave T-S

I walked on it, but didn't look down, i hate heights!!!

Dave T-S 27 June 2006 02:21 PM

So do I :D I also took a photo between my feet :D

Oh, and as we were at the top the fire alarm went off. We asked the attendant what to do and she said she didn't know :eek: Great :D

Shark Man 27 June 2006 02:41 PM

There's a mirror on the ceiling at the CN tower so you can lie down on the glass and get the photographer to aim at the mirror....you get a nice shot of yourself falling froma great height :D

Jerome 27 June 2006 03:25 PM

I've got a picture of me and my gf laying on the glass floor of the CN Tower. The photographer told us to pretend we were terrified. Unfortunately I was rather too convincing and everyone who sees the picture thinks I was actually terrified. :D

Having said that, I found it more difficult to stand on the glass than I did jumping out of planes (from higher up), or abseiling out of helicopters. Weird.

Markus 27 June 2006 04:45 PM

Stand on the glass floor? bugger that, jump up and down on it, scares the crap out of others :D Not that I've *ever* done that of course :D

Dave,
That xmas shop is just mad, especially when you go in there at the height of summer, rather sunburnt :D

Have to say that NOTL is well worth a visit, plus check out the Jet Boat tour thingy down by the river (next to the sailing club), rather cool and I'll probably do it next month when I'm down that way.

I've yet to get over to the west coast, but will do so at some point, as others have said it's very nice indeed.

Leslie 28 June 2006 12:29 PM

I flew a couple of tight circles around the CN Tower when Toronto International Airport asked me to do a beat-up of their airfield just after I did a display over Ontario Place. Wonder how the tourists enjoyed that :D

Les

Dave T-S 28 June 2006 03:12 PM

Markus
Yep, I was at the Christmas shop in June - surreal! :D