ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Wheels, Tyres & Brakes (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/)
-   -   Brake upgrade suppliers (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/52507-brake-upgrade-suppliers.html)

pob on the job 03 November 2001 06:50 PM

Since I've been waiting for a brake upgrade from a certain
supplier for over 7 months now, I've decided, enough is enough.

I have a brake budget of around £1500.

16" speedlines, no intention of going to 17's as I have two sets of 16" alloys, one set with slicks for track days.

Can anyone recommend any upgrades and supplier who has them "off the shelf"

ROGERM 04 November 2001 07:50 AM

WELL POB ON THE JOB YOU COULD TRY HTTP://FRICTIONMOTORSPORT.CO.UK
FOR A PRICE IF YOU LIKE.

Dukas 04 November 2001 09:01 AM

The correct address is http://www.frictionmotorsport.co.uk/

pob on the job 04 November 2001 10:22 AM

Thanks for that, much appreciated. I'll give them a ring tomorrow.

Any other suggestions?

Skippy 04 November 2001 10:30 AM

Pob.

I'll be selling a AP 4 pots soon (330/28), I know you said you wanted to stick with 16" but for a smidge more i'll do you two sets of wheels too, one set with slicks, then you can sell yours and it'll work out cheaper. Was just a thought. I'll be at Donno on the 5th if you want to see or test the stuff, it'll go up for sale just after that.

Skip.

pob on the job 04 November 2001 10:50 AM

What a quandry skippy....I have a think and mail you soon.

I won't be at Donno, loads of miles away from me.

Thanks for the offer, what type of alloys/ colour are they?

Alan

Martin J Stirling 04 November 2001 01:35 PM

Hi Pob,

I have found a setup of similar design to the AP, but of better quality and performance for a fraction of the price. I have sorted an unbelievable price for a group buy!! Just over £700 for a full ally caliper and disk setup. Have a look at the group buy post, in this section.

Cheers,
Martin

pob on the job 04 November 2001 01:56 PM

Martin,
Thanks for the post, but I think a Brembo or AP set up looks much better and I know it will help to sell the car when I decide to move on. I'm not so sure the Hi spec brakes would have the same effect, if any.
I am in no way questioning the ability or quality of the upgrade, they're just not for me.
Thanks again,

Alan

Hoppy 04 November 2001 07:45 PM

Alan, with that budget you can afford to go straight to the top and get either an official AP Racing kit, or the ScoobySport kit using Brembo calipers. Both use the same AP Racing discs with alloy bells.

Martin, saying that the brakes in your Group Buy offer "better quality and performance" than those from AP Racing is utter cr@p. It undermines your credibility.

Richard.

Dave T-S 04 November 2001 08:28 PM

If you want to know how effective the AP 6 pot kit is, ask anyone that rode in my MY01 at Donington yesterday......:D:D

pob on the job 05 November 2001 08:54 AM

Hoppy,

You have mail.

Dave,
I know the 6 pots are the ultimate, truly awesome for a smidge more than the Brembo or AP 4 pots. If I had 2 sets of 17" alloys I would definately go with them. The thing is I hear the hi spec brakes are "better performance and quality" than the AP 4 pots.
Does this mean they are up there with the AP 6 pots? ;)

Dave T-S 05 November 2001 09:27 AM

POTJ
"Does this mean they are up there with the AP 6 pots?"

I suspect like so many other things in this world you get what you pay for.....;);)

I can only speak for the AP's, I did over 50 laps of Donington on Saturday - the retardation is incredible. They also stood up to this abuse lap after lap without the slightest hint of fade. One cooling down lap at the end of each outing, and I drove home on them with exactly the same feel as when I arrived.

Andy Tang 05 November 2001 09:32 AM

Pob,

Drop me a mail, I know someone who might have something of interest!

Cheers
Andy

pob on the job 05 November 2001 09:36 AM

Andy,

You have mail

Martin J Stirling 05 November 2001 01:17 PM

Guys,

I am in no way attempting to belittle the superb reputation that AP have. I am the first to agree that their brakes are excellent. What I am saying is that technically, the Hi Spec calipers can offer all the features that make the AP 4 pot so good, but then go that little bit further by offering, larger pistons (greater clamping force), billet aluminium which is stronger than the AP cast aluminium and greater rigidity due to the extra bolts. This is coupled with lighter weight too.

Pob, this comment is not aimed at you so relax. ;)

MS

pob on the job 05 November 2001 10:26 PM

Many thanks to all you guys for the mail, very much appreciated.
I now have a few options to think about but it looks like the APR 4 pots for me, and I know of a supplier that has some in stock!

Thanks again,

Alan

Dave T-S 06 November 2001 08:15 AM

Martin
I wasn't knocking the Hi Spec product, they are certainly there on price - however AP allegedly have the lowest disc warranty returns, it will be interesting to see how the Hi Spec ones stand up, especially with track abuse, as they are an unknown quantity:)

Time will tell.....

Martin J Stirling 06 November 2001 12:26 PM

Well we may never know now. I think all this unneccessary commentary regarding people's unqualified opinions of Hi Spec brakes have probably scared most potential buyers off.

Well, I tried :(

MS