ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Interior (https://www.scoobynet.com/interior-15/)
-   -   Removing scratches from plastics possible? (https://www.scoobynet.com/interior-15/524985-removing-scratches-from-plastics-possible.html)

TAINTON 23 June 2006 01:30 PM

Removing scratches from plastics possible?

Recently bought the middle section from a classic to replace my already scratched one. However altho in better condition than my existing one still has a few marks on it.

Any suggestions appreciated

SamUK 27 June 2006 11:56 PM

Meguiar's PlasticX (i am sure that is what it id called) - havent used it, but its spose to help with the scratches on the interior trim of the car..

TAINTON 28 June 2006 02:44 PM

Lovely appreciate that will give it a try ;)

scoobyverysoon 28 June 2006 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by SamUK
Meguiar's PlasticX (i am sure that is what it id called) - havent used it, but its spose to help with the scratches on the interior trim of the car..

might give this a go as I keep catching the disklock on the centre console unit :thumb:

olliecampbell 28 June 2006 11:19 PM

He he i do the same!

Any news on whether it works guys?

scoobyverysoon 29 June 2006 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by olliecampbell
He he i do the same!

Any news on whether it works guys?

done a bit of reading and its called plastx - but its for clear plastics so wouldnt be much good for my centre console - anyone else find anything out?

SamUK 29 June 2006 12:21 AM

I actually have this sitting on my desk bought it months ago..never tried it..but at the time i spoke to Meguairs andthey said it would work on door pannels etc...i will give it a try tommrow...

scoobyverysoon 29 June 2006 12:32 AM

I actually have this sitting on my desk bought it months ago..never tried it..but at the time i spoke to Meguairs andthey said it would work on door pannels etc...i will give it a try tommrow...

goodstuff - if poss try a before and after pic :thumb: - this could save me from getting new bits of trim if it works

alcazar 29 June 2006 09:57 AM

I'd like to know if it works too. I've a few scuffs on the soft gray parts of my classic's dash.

Alcazar

scoobyverysoon 29 June 2006 08:02 PM

Any luck Sam :wonder:

scoobyverysoon 30 June 2006 11:23 PM

Right I got a bottle of this stuff and all I can say is its pants - the only good thing it did was take a few scratches out of the speedo plastic cover thats it it did rock all else, another bottle to add to my collection for the car boot!!

phil12312 03 September 2006 05:56 PM

y not spray it mat black
sand it down first i did it it looks brand new:thumb:

poormansporsche 10 September 2006 10:16 AM

Any areas that are prone to wear will look like junk after a short bit of use. Try using synthetic steel wool. Take a small piece and gently rub in the direction of the scratch. ONLY on the scratch avoid the non-affected area. Never done this but many people swear by it.

cheers

garrett

IMPREZATECH 29 September 2006 01:19 PM

This works !

Try plain old T - Cut and a clean cloth alternatively use Paint Compound Paste which is like T - Cut but with more grit.If your not able to get it through the trade Halfords/Motorworld do it.You will need lots of elbow grease if its deep but it will remove scratches.Only disadvantage is if you have to rub really hard is that the grain will become smoothed.This works really well on plastic thats clear as well without 'Fogging',if you have damage to your speedo clear front its amazing,but you need to have patience and elbow grease.Hope this helps you.:cool:

StickyMicky 01 October 2006 03:08 PM

t-cut on internal plastics?

are you INSANE :eek:

fire911 30 March 2007 03:18 AM

My advise is that u r the only one to judge if the scratches can be removed by rubbing them off or by using Compound and polish cream.....But if the scratches dont come off....u will have to re-paint them at a professional body shop painter....they will have to be re-sprayed indoors...so they dont catch any sand or particles from the air....and after spraying them....give them a plastic cover coat.....it is spraying a transparent layer of pait or coat onto the body after being sprayed, this will give you a protection cover to the paint job u have done, give it more than one coat.....leave at least 30 minutes between each coat of this plastic transparent protection coat.....it will give u a very clean and shinny look.....and u will be very satisfied by the feel when u touch it......

scoobyverysoon 30 March 2007 10:15 AM

Bloody hell this threads from June last year :lol1: