ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   3 port boost solenoid with apexi fc???????? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/524967-3-port-boost-solenoid-with-apexi-fc.html)

corky-type-r 23 June 2006 12:06 PM

3 port boost solenoid with apexi fc????????

do i need to upgarde when i have my apexi fc fitted:wonder:

Jolly Green Monster 23 June 2006 12:37 PM

If the PFC is going to be controlling the boost then yes most likely. Sometimes the 2pot responds and you can get away without the 3port, depending on turbo and boost target etc.

You will get better boost control on the 3port so it is a worth while upgrade anyway.

Simon

911 23 June 2006 02:23 PM

AndyF told me the very same thing. I fitted a 3 port and the car is great.
Graham

AndrewC 23 June 2006 02:58 PM

Simon, have you got any spare 3 ports :)

Jolly Green Monster 23 June 2006 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by AndrewC
Simon, have you got any spare 3 ports :)

None spare exactly ;) :D

No_9 23 June 2006 08:01 PM

Andy also told me I'll need to get one of these for my type R when I get round to getting the Power FC.

I thought 3 ports were standard on the car but reading this it appears not. Where would I get a 3 port boost control solenoid from then? and how much?

Cheers

Ross

SoNiCa 23 June 2006 08:29 PM

I had ordered Perrin 3-port boost solenoid from USA at 90$. I think Prodrive also sells 3 port boost solenoid at the same price.

Butty 23 June 2006 09:18 PM

Another 3 port model from the US is the GM version for the Cyclone.
Considerably cheaper than the Perrin.

Nick

Jolly Green Monster 23 June 2006 11:42 PM

or just buy a secondhand one from a breaker.. ;)

ScuuBdoo 24 June 2006 12:10 AM

can you not just buy the Apexi boost controller that is suppossed to be for the Power FC?

Jolly Green Monster 24 June 2006 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by ScuuBdoo
can you not just buy the Apexi boost controller that is suppossed to be for the Power FC?

yes but it is more expensive..

olliecampbell 24 June 2006 01:02 AM

Trying not to hijack....but can someone tell me what a 3 port boost solenoid does/is/is beneficial having a 3 port over a 2 port?

silent running 24 June 2006 10:20 AM

The 3 port is better able to bleed off boost, i.e. at a faster rate, therefore it command higher wastegate pressures with more stability.Or that's my understanding anyway. In a way it's simpler because the 2 port has one line dumping the bled off boost back into the intake and the other goes right down to the turbo before it's teed off to the compressor outlet via a restrictor, and the actuator. So some boost can get directly through to the actuator without being bled off by the solenoid first.

With the three port, each line is separate - one dumps bled air back into the inlet, as with the 2 port; one goes directly to the compressor outlet, with or without a restrictor; one goes directly to the actuator. Therefore the 3-port maintains total control over boost, which the 2 port cannot do.

corky-type-r 27 June 2006 10:59 AM

thanks guys