ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Do Type-R's suffer from Diff Whine? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/524379-do-type-rs-suffer-from-diff-whine.html)

CyprusScooby 20 June 2006 11:24 PM

Do Type-R's suffer from Diff Whine?

Somebody said to me that they felt there was a noticable whine from the rear end of my Type-R. Not a tyre whine but they thought it was a diff whine :wonder: They heard it more as I slowed at a carpark exit.
I wonder if this could be causing my rear Toyo T1R tyres to be needing replaced after only 2000miles? :confused:

It wasn't picked up when I had my car in for a major service at David Hendry Cars or when a Prodrive mechanic had it for a few weeks. It has always made a whining noise when I take my foot of the clutch when Im going very slowly in 1st. Makes no other noise otherwise.:confused:

Anybody else with a Type-R that can put my mind at rest?

jasonius 21 June 2006 10:56 AM

I've heard they can whine a bit at over 200mph..;)

rooferman 21 June 2006 11:49 AM

I think the whining is to do with the rear diff being a plated type.....

You can here the diff in my version 5 sti ra working,which has a similar set up to the sti type r.

SergeantScooby 21 June 2006 12:44 PM

I know you say whine but could the sound be described as maybe a bird tweeting, i know this sounds strange but my type RA developed a sound similar to a bird tweeting and it only happens when coasting with foot of accelerator.

I thought it was possibly the exhaust was loose or suspension faulty so i took it into a garage, they couldn't pin point it but said it is possible it couuld be down to the fact there is a little play in my O/S drive shaft. They are hopefully going to take a closer look at it but the tweet is defo not doing my cred any good.

Iwan 21 June 2006 01:45 PM

Mine didn't whine, used to clunk occasionally which is normal.

CyprusScooby 21 June 2006 01:48 PM

It happens in first when I take my foot off the pedal.

terryb 21 June 2006 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by SergeantScooby
I know you say whine but could the sound be described as maybe a bird tweeting, i know this sounds strange but my type RA developed a sound similar to a bird tweeting and it only happens when coasting with foot of accelerator.

I thought it was possibly the exhaust was loose or suspension faulty so i took it into a garage, they couldn't pin point it but said it is possible it couuld be down to the fact there is a little play in my O/S drive shaft. They are hopefully going to take a closer look at it but the tweet is defo not doing my cred any good.

I had this very same sound and I described it as the same too - turned out to be a failed wheel bearing - so make sure you check them out - as a new bearing and hub (if needed and it could well be if not identified soon enough) will set you back the best part of £400 to £500.

Oh and mine is an RA too.

big_wig 21 June 2006 02:00 PM

i didnt hear it today after u got the toe sorted mate (it was 6 degrees out on one wheel!eek!) on the rear end. so it may have had extra strain on it,we'll check it in a bit in cardiff!

CyprusScooby 21 June 2006 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by big_wig
i didnt hear it today after u got the toe sorted mate (it was 6 degrees out on one wheel!eek!) on the rear end. so it may have had extra strain on it,we'll check it in a bit in cardiff!

Yeah hopefully thats all it was!:wonder:

big_wig 21 June 2006 02:11 PM

for a description of the noise,it sounded like a metro in 1st gear (straight cut gear whining sound) but i didnt hear it once on the 20 odd mile return journey.

CyprusScooby 21 June 2006 02:27 PM

Maybe a straight cut first?............:wonder:

big_wig 21 June 2006 03:54 PM

sounds and feels like a straight cut gear tbh

rhybeck 21 June 2006 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by jasonius
I've heard they can whine a bit at over 200mph..;)

m8 what revs would that be pulling in top gear on standard box ......lol:lol1:

on topic no diff wine hear have you chequed all fluid levels in diff gearbox and so on

big_wig 21 June 2006 06:55 PM

it only happens in first gear and ewan told me he had an uprated 1st gear,so im thinking straight cut.
and im reliably told on his diff,box and tyres it would require 9800rpm for 212mph in 5th!

CyprusScooby 21 June 2006 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by big_wig
it only happens in first gear and ewan told me he had an uprated 1st gear,so im thinking straight cut.
and im reliably told on his diff,box and tyres it would require 9800rpm for 212mph in 5th!

****! Just need to learn to drive it above 2000rpm then, eh Greig!!!!;) :lol1: