ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Did the Fanny Craddock/TV/Doughnuts incident really happen? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/523575-did-the-fanny-craddock-tv-doughnuts-incident-really-happen.html)

douglasb 17 June 2006 07:46 PM

Did the Fanny Craddock/TV/Doughnuts incident really happen?

At a pub quiz a couple of weeks ago one question was "What was Fanny Craddock's real first name?"* That reminded me of the famous story.^

In 1971, the evening news on BBC1 was broadcast at around 5.45pm. At 6.00 they went over to the local news and at around 6.20 there was "Nationwide" - a magazine programme introduced by Michael Barratt. I think Nationwide stopped around 1983, so for anyone who doesn't remember it, it could have all sorts of "general interest" articles rather than serious news.

On the notorious evening, Fanny Craddock was doing a cooking demonstration. Everything was live so she sets about a demonstration of making doughnuts. She gives out all the details of the ingredients and takes the doughnuts out of the oven. The camera goes back to Michael Barratt, who has to link the cooking demonstraion to the next item. He says (bear in mind that he is in the same studio as Mrs Craddock), "Mmmmmm. These smell delicious. If you try that recipe at home, I hope your doughnuts turn out like Fanny's".

Now, I didn't see this myself, but I seem to recall this being the talk of the school the next day. I'm pretty sure that Fanny Craddock was on Nationwide the previous evening, so I think it actually happened.

Did this really happen or is my memory seriously stuffed? Any links to anything confirming or denying this would be welcome.

*It was Phyllis - we got it wrong :(
^ Our team name that night was "I hope your doughnuts turn out like fannies" :D

HankScorpio 17 June 2006 08:08 PM

David Coleman according to snopes

http://www.snopes.com/humor/lists/olympics.asp

No statement as to accuracy tho

douglasb 17 June 2006 08:22 PM

Thanks Hank.

Google was my friend. I think it was Frank Bough rather than Michael Barratt or David Coleman. As the link is to a BBC page, I think we can assume that it isn't just an urban legend. :D

(So I can remember things that happened 35 years ago :):))

Looked again at the link. It suggests that the quote is "unconfirmed". They are the BBC. They should surely know?

Jaydee5 17 June 2006 08:24 PM

With a name like *Fanny* I'm sure she was the brunt of many a joke............quite innocently, of course in those days:rolleyes:

J4CKO 17 June 2006 10:28 PM

I saw the name mrs Fanny Smellie on the electoral role thing at work !

Bubba po 17 June 2006 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by J4CKO
I saw the name mrs Fanny Smellie on the electoral role thing at work !

Tell that to Shiloh Pitt. :D

Lee247 17 June 2006 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Bubba po
Tell that to Shiloh Pitt. :D

:lol1: Do you think they will change their minds

J4CKO 17 June 2006 10:45 PM

I suppose she would say, its not smelly, its smiley, like thats any better.

douglasb 17 June 2006 11:19 PM

We've been here before, but this site says that Fannie Smellie isn't on the electoral roll.

This site also suggests that there are 2 people in the UK with the forename "C*nthia".

I'm sure that we'll find some better examples.......

J4CKO 18 June 2006 12:13 PM

It was on the Quickaddress version 3 years ago, along with Donal Duck, Mickey Mouse and luke Skywalker.

HankScorpio 18 June 2006 12:48 PM

Donald Duck actually died recently, he was around before the Disney one.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4105265.stm

BillayRambo 25 February 2013 01:37 PM

Yes the comment did happen. Many years ago while watching It'll Be Alright On The Night I witnessed a film clip where Johnny picked up one of Fannys freshly baked doughnuts, he sniffed it and then said " may all your doughnuts smell like Fannys. Absolutely true. Had me in stitches laughing and I have never forgotten it.

RA Dunk 25 February 2013 01:46 PM

Holy thread resurrect Rambo!

you any relation to John Rambo?

rossyboy 25 February 2013 03:32 PM

Hmmm, I'm thinking Rambo here did a search on the site for "Fanny" :lol1:

magepaster 25 February 2013 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by rossyboy (Post 11004281)
Hmmm, I'm thinking Rambo here did a search on the site for "Fanny" :lol1:

Oh yes, Methinks you are correct. :)

What a resurrection. Over six and a half year old thread.

J4CKO 25 February 2013 10:38 PM

Dont have to look too far on SN to find a Fanny !

zip106 25 February 2013 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by J4CKO (Post 11004946)
Dont have to look too far on SN to find a Fanny !

Certainly not back as far as six years - 6 minutes is enough to find one on here...

douglasb 26 February 2013 12:15 AM

And some of us who contributed to the thread back then are still around :)

STEVEBOXER 26 February 2013 08:06 AM

1. Weightlifting commentator: "This is Gregoriava from Bulgaria. I saw her snatch this morning during her warm up and it was amazing."
Lmfao!

Ron Tocknell 30 December 2019 05:52 PM

I can confirm that it was actually Fanny's husband Johnnie Cradock who uttered the infamous phrase about doughnuts like Fanny's. I recall seeing the actual episode. Their act was quite clearly an act with Johnnie being the bumbling henpecked oaf and Fanny being the barking dragon. They began as a stage performance in which Johnnie took on the persona of a drunk. I rather suspect that the comment was quite deliberate.

scooby1994 30 December 2019 06:48 PM

13 year old thread still throwing up replies,must be getting on for a record

lockheed 30 December 2019 08:32 PM

It was started in 2006 …….. must be a record!

lozgti1 31 December 2019 09:17 AM

lol

There used to be a solicitor called Rupert Bear. Don't know if he's still around..

SouthWalesSam 31 December 2019 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by STEVEBOXER (Post 11005122)
1. Weightlifting commentator: "This is Gregoriava from Bulgaria. I saw her snatch this morning during her warm up and it was amazing."
Lmfao!

Pmsl!! The best!

Some time back, Mrs SWS and I had a property viewing conducted by Mr Crook of the local South Wales estate agents Crook & Blight.

hedgecutter 02 January 2020 10:43 AM

Reminds me of the cricket commentary " The batsman's Holding, the bowler's Willey" years back.

whynot 21 June 2022 09:57 PM

Thread age

Originally Posted by scooby1994 (Post 12068775)
13 year old thread still throwing up replies,must be getting on for a record

Why should the age of a thread stop it from getting comments? Don't you know how the internet works? Barring a nuclear holocaust, (grace á mr Putin) all of our posts will still be available after we are dead and gone.
I don't believe the donut story, I first heard it in the 70s, attributed to Bill Tennant on Scottish TV. . It's fake history. (unfortunately!)

Wurzel 22 June 2022 12:27 PM

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...789fe0e9df.jpg