ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   chemical intercooling (andy forrest) (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/521674-chemical-intercooling-andy-forrest.html)

BVM 09 June 2006 11:10 AM

chemical intercooling (andy forrest)

About 2 months ago I added a SMC Enterprises alcohol injection kit to my MY02 WRX. I have been reading and speaking to many tuners about the benefits of alcy/meth injection for quite a while. I decided to go for it and I haven't looked back. The key is finding someone that knows how to tune for alcy/meth. While I am still looking for a tuner that is comfortable tuning for it, I posted a thread here about my results. After hearing comments like " you now have the reliability of a 10 year old Rover" and "you have ruined your car", I figured the majority of UK owners just don't get it.
I received my issue of JP today and what did I find? Andy Forrest has gone 100% chemical intercooling! Andy your car is amazing and well done for thinking out side the box. If we ever cross paths I have got to get you to tune my WRX for the alcy! Maybe you could post up your thoughts on chemical intercooling?

Steven

Midlife...... 09 June 2006 11:45 AM

Steven

Sat in my garage is a 12 litre Spec C water tank and an aquamist water / methanol injection system. All I need is the time to get it fitted and mapped LOL.

Bob Rawle at BRD seemed pretty relaxed about mapping it for me :D :D

Midlife.....

BVM 09 June 2006 12:18 PM

I am running the same set up but with SMC progressive alcy/meth injection. The Spec C tank is the only way to go! You'd be surprised how often you have to fill the smaller tanks.

BVM 09 June 2006 09:31 PM

BUMP for Andy

g01dmember 09 June 2006 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by BVM
BUMP for Andy

As far as i know, he`s away till the 15th.....

If you email him, you get the out of office email saying he`ll be back then...:)

BVM 09 June 2006 10:13 PM

Thanks for the heads up.

Swen6 09 June 2006 10:17 PM

Where's the best place to get some meth, i've got a Type R and i've been told i should stick in for the Intercooler spray.

Aztec Performance Ltd 09 June 2006 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Swen6
Where's the best place to get some meth, i've got a Type R and i've been told i should stick in for the Intercooler spray.

Whereabouts you from?

I've got quite a bit spare.

Swen6 09 June 2006 10:25 PM

The fuel burning Hemel Hempstead.;)

Aztec Performance Ltd 09 June 2006 10:26 PM

I'm in Letchworth :thumb:

PM me if you're interested.

BVM 09 June 2006 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Swen6

You do understand its flammable, right?

Midlife...... 09 June 2006 11:26 PM

Not a 50 / 50 mix :D

BVM 05 July 2006 12:04 PM

BUMP for Andy F.

Andy Tang 05 July 2006 12:43 PM

AndyF can also be found on http://bbs.22b.com if that helps.

Adam M 05 July 2006 01:15 PM

I dont give a damn about the engine benefits, running methanol is incredibly dangerous when it comes to handling the stuff physically. The fumes are not the trouble so much as getting it on your skin. Be careful as it is not good for life expectancy.

BVM 05 July 2006 01:31 PM

BVM <--- certified hazmat

aaronhowe 05 July 2006 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Midlife......
Not a 50 / 50 mix :D

Yes it is. Have you never seen a barman setting light to a cocktail before. Methanol is exactly the same and is just as flamable mixed with water as it is without.
I don't know what the likelyhood of it actually catching fire is but I wouldn't want to risk it.

BVM 05 July 2006 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by aaronhowe
Yes it is. Have you never seen a barman setting light to a cocktail before. Methanol is exactly the same and is just as flamable mixed with water as it is without.
I don't know what the likelyhood of it actually catching fire is but I wouldn't want to risk it.

Actually its not as flammable. Mixed with water it has a much higher flash point.

aaronhowe 05 July 2006 02:04 PM

Would you want it dripping onto a burning hot turbo though? :thumb:

New_scooby_04 05 July 2006 02:56 PM

Ultimate flamer kit??? :eek: ;) :D :D

Ns04

RB5_245 05 July 2006 03:20 PM

If you map for it what happens when the nozzle clogs up or the pump fails, or you run out on wot.

running only methanol as fuel is a complete different thing to injecting as a 50/50 mix through a tiny nozzle. There are safer more cost effective mods to be made I think.

Dave

BVM 05 July 2006 05:01 PM

Yet again, if you buy a kit that has a fail safe your concerns become a non-issue. Anyone that pays attention to their car would know if the system fails anyway. You are your best fail safe! On my kit, if it detects a clogged nozzle or pump failure it switches to a low boost map.

Honesty, how hard is this to understand?

BVM 05 July 2006 05:02 PM

And how would that happen? Water/alcy/meth is injected before the throttle body.

aaronhowe 05 July 2006 05:50 PM

Sorry I should have been clear that this was in response to midlife spraying 50/50 mix ONTO his intercooler not injecting it into the inlet.

I am all for methanol injection as it does get good gains and the advanced kits out now have a lot of failsafes :thumb:

BVM 05 July 2006 09:19 PM

Sorry I should have been clear that this was in response to midlife spraying 50/50 mix ONTO his intercooler not injecting it into the inlet.

I am all for methanol injection as it does get good gains and the advanced kits out now have a lot of failsafes :thumb:

LOL yeah, I have to agree with you on that one. I wouldn't want to be spraying any flammable externally.

Midlife...... 05 July 2006 10:57 PM

aaronhowe

See post number 2....... I have an aquamist system waiting to be fitted and mapped :D

I actually have an APS DR 500 FMIC which wouldn't see much benefit from being sprayed with 50 / 50 methanol and water, mind you a quick blast from CO2 might help........LOL

Shaun

AlexT 05 July 2006 11:00 PM

Doesn't taste the same though as we can testify!

aaronhowe 06 July 2006 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by Midlife......
aaronhowe

See post number 2....... I have an aquamist system waiting to be fitted and mapped :D

I actually have an APS DR 500 FMIC which wouldn't see much benefit from being sprayed with 50 / 50 methanol and water, mind you a quick blast from CO2 might help........LOL

Shaun

My mistake mate sorry :thumb:

Why use aquamist though when you can just add 10% to your fuel mixture :norty:

AlexT damn right. I wondered why I'd gone blind :lol1: :lol1:

frayz 06 July 2006 01:02 AM

Cant belive so many people find the methanol thing so hard to grasp.

I think its a great tool for cooling, i will probably be running it too in the near future :D

Midlife...... 06 July 2006 10:58 PM

aaronhowe

You are dead right :D

However my car is a daily driver and spends a lot of time in slow moving traffic which would be burning the Methanol at 5 MPH .....LOL

It also goes to ASDA shopping and takes the kids places so will not be on boost !!

Having something that kicks in when on boost (like overtaking on the A69) is why I have opted to try something extra. :D

Shaun