ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Should I notify Them????? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/52070-should-i-notify-them.html)

jon44w 11 January 2001 01:22 AM

i agree with green scooby and mr.cookie 100percent.

god forbid, if you are in an accident the insurance company will have no hesitation in stroking you for undeclared mods. :(

[Edited by jon44w - 11/1/2001 1:23:01 AM]

SCOBY 01 November 2001 12:13 AM

Having Scooby D/Pipe fitted this weekend, I've got a scooby back box already, should I notify the Insurers. I was told today I should.

What do you reckon & what am I expecting to pay as an extra.

Thank you

SCOBY

Mr.Cookie 01 November 2001 12:18 AM

Possibly won't pay any extra, as some companies allow for a set percentage increase, and yes you should coz if you have a prang it'll be there quickest route out of insuring you and you'll be well up the creek and lacking a paddle.

Si

GREEN SCOOBY 01 November 2001 12:48 AM

YES

BeanS14 01 November 2001 08:26 AM

Yes, definetely tell them.

I told my insurance company before I took out the policy that I intended to fit a SS Zorst. There was no charge.

Don't tell them if you replace the CAT with a plain pipe.

Johnny Alpha 01 November 2001 08:54 AM

I'd speak to the dealer as well if it's under warranty. I was considering removing one of the cats, etc. and checked with the dealer. In their words any mods to the exhaust that aren't approved could give cause to invalidate the warranty on the engine. AT £12K a pop for a new unit I'm notta messing unless it's a ProDrive.

Markus 01 November 2001 09:37 AM

Should I notify them, YES! without a doubt or hesitation. You might be lucky and find it won't cost anything for the DP, however, if you don't delcare it and have a prang and the ins co find out about the DP then they might well refuse your claim, then you're stuffed.

From my somewhat very,very limited understadning of insurance, most ins co's consider a mod to be anything that changes the car from the original specification as defined by the cars manufacturers. Think they might be ok with you adding an air freshener or two ;) but a DP certainly changes it (for the better :D:D) from the original spec.

If the above is wrong them someone (Rum*? InsBro?) please correct me.

As it happens I'm considering a DP and am in process of contacting my insurers to find out a) if they'll let me do it (should do seeing the other mods I have!) b) how much it'll cost me to do it.

KimA 01 November 2001 10:00 AM

Definitely, both insurer and warranty provider - we did with no problems (and no additional charges - whew!).

:D

ZAZ 01 November 2001 01:53 PM

Declare it but don't tell them it's decatted unless they ask. If you have the centre cat still in the system it is still legal but if it is totally decatted it won't pass it's MOT and the company might refuse to insure it! I had a company cancel a policy on these grounds. :(

greeny 01 November 2001 03:04 PM

Posted by Markus:
From my somewhat very,very limited understadning of insurance, most ins co's consider a mod to be anything that changes the car from the original specification as defined by the cars manufacturers.

What about different tyres??. Surely every Tom, Dick or Harry with any car you care to mention replaces tyres /exhausts with Kwik-Fit specials rather than getting manufacturers original spec. Everyone with a car over a few years old would have to declare mods. This simply does not happen.