ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Is one hour to swim a mile and half good? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/519919-is-one-hour-to-swim-a-mile-and-half-good.html)

^OPM^ 01 June 2006 08:04 PM

Is one hour to swim a mile and half good?

go swimming about once a week and can swim non stop a mile and half in say a couple of mins under an hour frontcrawl style-is this doing ok? or am i slow as hell?

luke m 01 June 2006 08:10 PM

my girlfriends verdict is...not bad. she is quite good and can do a mile in 35 mins. to be honest i'm just impressed you can go that far! sorry this isn't a more comprehensive appraisal!

^OPM^ 01 June 2006 08:13 PM

lol tis ok

Originally Posted by luke m
my girlfriends verdict is...not bad. she is quite good and can do a mile in 35 mins. to be honest i'm just impressed you can go that far! sorry this isn't a more comprehensive appraisal!

dpb 01 June 2006 08:21 PM

At least running for that period there's a change of scenery :cry:

^OPM^ 01 June 2006 08:24 PM

I try to day dream- but then i loose count of my lengths lol-or more often then not i pick someone without them knowing to race against.

Originally Posted by dpb

luke m 01 June 2006 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by dpb

and it goes to another dimension with a round bag of air at your feet!

kingofturds 01 June 2006 10:42 PM

Back when I was a teenager and before I discovered the delights of alcohol I used to do 30 lengths in 50 mins which is a about a mile. Now I doubt i could do a length:)

Also used to be able to do 50 m underwater

Apparition 01 June 2006 10:45 PM

It's incredible for me. I can't swim !
Yve

dpb 01 June 2006 10:50 PM

That bloke off little Britians going to swim the channel then...:Suspiciou

shaunywrx 01 June 2006 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by dpb
That bloke off little Britians going to swim the channel then...:Suspiciou

Won't that wheelchair slow him down a bit?:D

XRS 02 June 2006 07:47 AM

It depends on your age and level of fitness of course. I swim 2,000 metres a couple of times a week and get annoyed with myself if I take longer than 38 minutes - I just can't stop competing ;).

I guess for a mile and a half it would be around 46 minutes or so as my times for each 500m are fairly consistent.

Try harder! :D

^OPM^ 02 June 2006 07:59 AM

too right-worked it out and would take me 48 mins to swim 2000 metres-must try harder!

Originally Posted by XRS
It depends on your age and level of fitness of course. I swim 2,000 metres a couple of times a week and get annoyed with myself if I take longer than 38 minutes - I just can't stop competing ;).

I guess for a mile and a half it would be around 46 minutes or so as my times for each 500m are fairly consistent.

Try harder! :D

richieh 02 June 2006 08:17 AM

If youve had no training in technique then not a bad time at all.
based on the same principle ie no training a few coaching sessions would see your times drop maybe as much as 25%
richie

^OPM^ 02 June 2006 08:18 AM

nope im self taught-so i probably swim like a drowning rat

Originally Posted by richieh
If youve had no training in technique then not a bad time at all.
based on the same principle ie no training a few coaching sessions would see your times drop maybe as much as 25%
richie

scoob_babe 02 June 2006 08:28 AM

Metric mile of 1500m is 60 lengths of your average pool (25m) so self taught stroke at that time is good. :thumb: It would probably be better if someone could advise you on your style as you coult do yourself more harm than good when you get tired.
For some reason, I did one training session of a 4*1500m medley, ie 1500m of each stroke. Don't know why, it seemed a good idea at the time. At least I got the butterfly out of the way first and that filled the session so about 2 hours overall.

richieh 02 June 2006 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by ^OPM^
nope im self taught-so i probably swim like a drowning rat

Ah I'd deffo get in a bit of training then-you wont belive the difference it'll make.
Wont cost very much at all either.
richie

^OPM^ 02 June 2006 08:35 AM

pool i use is 33.3 metres long and i class a mile as 48 lengths which equals 1600 metres-when i do a mile and half i do 72 lengths which equals 2400 metres.
Only ever tried butterfly once when at school many years ago-think if i tried it now lifeguards would be jumping in thinking i was drowning :wonder:

Originally Posted by scoob_babe
Metric mile of 1500m is 60 lengths of your average pool (25m) so self taught stroke at that time is good. :thumb: It would probably be better if someone could advise you on your style as you coult do yourself more harm than good when you get tired.
For some reason, I did one training session of a 4*1500m medley, ie 1500m of each stroke. Don't know why, it seemed a good idea at the time. At least I got the butterfly out of the way first and that filled the session so about 2 hours overall.

richieh 02 June 2006 08:39 AM

nowt wrong with butterfly-its all in the timing of the arms against the kick:D
richie

The Snug Rhino 02 June 2006 08:59 AM

sounds fine and dont bother with training...if you swim for fitness a crap stroke just makes you work harder - swimmimg with perfect technique may look nice but who cares?

Rhino

shooter007 02 June 2006 08:02 PM

for me b****Y amaising still i would float well (all that blubber as to come in usefull for something

LG John 02 June 2006 08:39 PM

Is one hour to swim a mile and half good?
Depends really. Uphill or downhill? :D