ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   anyone reused there crank? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/519214-anyone-reused-there-crank.html)

green un 29 May 2006 11:46 PM

anyone reused there crank?

hi all
the engine only had a slight knock(very slight) striped it down mains are sound not a mark on em, 2 lots of shells are marked the other 2 ok, so not all that bad. the crank has no heavy marks on it nor no discoloring. people tell me to change it anyway but my wallet shudders when i think of the price of a new one. also i was told not to have it reground is this true?

cheers
dave

nice guy 30 May 2006 12:23 AM

It's not recommended due to the surface hardening depth to regrind, but i personally had the crank reground in my race car last season. The only thing subaru tech bods will tell you is not to go more than 1 thou, if you need to, you need a new crank.

I have been running this engine for over a full seasons racing now with no issues! And obviously.... it does'nt get an easy life.

I think i may have part numbers for oversize bearings, let me know if you need them and i will see if i can find them.

Scoobyslammed 30 May 2006 12:39 AM

I've got a brand new crank up for grabs in the forsale section... pm me if your interested... what year is your car?

green un 30 May 2006 12:39 AM

cheers for your reply i thought i was the only one up at this time.
they told me not to regrind becouse it would only last a couple of months then it would be out again with the same problem. the crank aint really marked though should i just get it meausred(sp) for the bearings then put it back in? i would only like to build it once :thumb:

cheers
dave

green un 30 May 2006 12:41 AM

scoobyslammed

its a 95

nice guy 30 May 2006 01:34 AM

Anywhere that does regrinds will be able to tell you how far out of true it is, ie. whether it needs more than a thou taken off.

So that would prob be an idea.

Tim W 30 May 2006 06:50 AM

The big issue with regrinding a Subaru crank (besides the depth of hardening) is geing able to clean the oil ways out afterwards. The ends of each drilled oil way are blocked off with a peened in ball bearings and it is nigh on impossible to be sure that you have removed all of the swarf that gets trapped in them without removing the ball bearings by spark errosion...which means the whole re-grind job costs almost as much as a new crank!

p1mark 30 May 2006 07:38 AM

Check the crank out first.

If there are no scores, just give it a once over with 1200 grit wet and dry (polish the mains and pins with strips in a radial direction)

Then get someone to check it out with a mic or comparitor. If all the pins and mains are round within 12 microns or so (1/2 a thou) it will be ok.

If they are not, for the 2 reasons mentioned above you really want to chuck it ans use a new one. Brand new they are about £350-£400