ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Knocklink question (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/518115-knocklink-question.html)

boan81 25 May 2006 07:44 PM

Knocklink question

Hi!

I resently installed a knocklink and everything seems to be fine. Yesterday when i was out and pushed the engine kinda heavy the lights on the knocklink went up to the second orange light.

After some testing i found ut that this only happens when i rev i over 6500 rpm and shifts gear. So the caution lights does not appear when on throttle. Only when i release the throttle and shifts gear. Its the 2 and 3 gear i´m talking about.

The car is an My93 Impreza wrx from Japan. It has a voschip and a dawes device installed. I had the boost at 1,1 bar at the time of the testing.

So to the question. Is this a normal behavior or should i try and replace the MAF? Or if anybody here can think of any outher thing that can cause the problem.

I really appriciate all the answer i can get /J

Jolly Green Monster 25 May 2006 11:45 PM

try dropping the boost slightly and see if it stops doing it..

TonyBurns 25 May 2006 11:46 PM

Also what fuel are you running, ie 95 ron, 97 ron, 98 ron 99 ron?

Tony:)

boan81 26 May 2006 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster
try dropping the boost slightly and see if it stops doing it..

I will test that today

boan81 26 May 2006 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Also what fuel are you running, ie 95 ron, 97 ron, 98 ron 99 ron?

Im running on 98 ron

Heple 26 May 2006 09:57 AM

It can also be gearbox noise that the sensor it picking up.

Thats why it lights up the extra light on change.

Craig

boan81 26 May 2006 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Heple
It can also be gearbox noise that the sensor it picking up.

Thats why it lights up the extra light on change.

Craig

Thats interesting. Are there any way find out if its the gearbox or if its realy detonating?

TonyBurns 26 May 2006 01:53 PM

Easiest way is to just take it up from say 3k to 7k in gear, by 4.5-5k if the car is detting you will see it as your at peak boost, that doesnt mean if you dont see anything you dont have a problem, but if you det its normally straight to red rather than going all the way up the scale slowly.

boan81 27 May 2006 09:19 AM

Ok. But i was thinking. Isnt the dawes supposed to hold the boost?

Roojai 27 May 2006 09:34 AM

The turbo cannot produce as much boost at higher rpm, it is already spinning at its maximum speed before then and the engine is gulping much more air.

the dawes does its best to hold the boost but at higher rpm but the turbo itself may be the limiting factor.

At 4.5k the turbo has had time to spin up to max speed but the engine is not sucking too much in yet (boost builds up most in the higher gears, in the lower gears the engine may gulp down the air before the turbo can build up the pressure).