ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   MY04 wrx .... no mods (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/516237-my04-wrx-no-mods.html)

girl-in-a-scoob 18 May 2006 01:45 PM

MY04 wrx .... no mods

Question is.......

Where would you start?
What would you do first?

Bog standard o4 wrx gunmetal wheels ( actually new ones shortly courtesy of subaru under the warranty... if you've been keeping u with me & me troubles)

Get your flame suits on and tell me what you would and wouldnt do to it please

4stringMike 18 May 2006 01:52 PM

Get a couple of the cats out, and change the backbox first surely :idea:

girl-in-a-scoob 18 May 2006 01:56 PM

Cats out??? I know where they are.... How you sposed to get them out (sensible answers please)

Also its still under warranty so need to only do things that the warranty wont turn its nose up at

Neanderthal 18 May 2006 02:02 PM

"Get them out" as in REPLACE them with straight through pipes :)

girl-in-a-scoob 18 May 2006 02:07 PM

suggestions?

Come on lads... thought you would all like to flex your male egos here and show a girl what to do :D

4stringMike 18 May 2006 02:10 PM

Ok forget decatting then, it'll void your warranty! :o

You could just change the backbox to release some of the gorgeous burble. :)

Neanderthal 18 May 2006 02:14 PM

Have you tried searching for answers?

Stick (not literally) a Scoobysport back box on. It'll sound fantastic and you'll prolly think your going faster ;)

VJ_STi 18 May 2006 02:15 PM

If your warranty is the main consideration then check the prodrive site and away you go.

http://www.prodrive.co.uk/defaultflash.asp?M=5

New_scooby_04 18 May 2006 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by girl-in-a-scoob
Question is.......

Where would you start?
What would you do first?

Bog standard o4 wrx gunmetal wheels ( actually new ones shortly courtesy of subaru under the warranty... if you've been keeping u with me & me troubles)

Get your flame suits on and tell me what you would and wouldnt do to it please

If you want to keep your warranty, you have to go with the PPP upgrade.
They might let you put a different aftermaket backbox (and possibly centre section) on the car, but you should check with the dealer first.

Ns04

girl-in-a-scoob 18 May 2006 02:28 PM

How many limbs do I have to sell to get a PPP upgrade then ??

New_scooby_04 18 May 2006 02:48 PM

How many limbs do I have to sell to get a PPP upgrade then ??

£1600 or thereabouts I believe!

Without pictures, I'm unable to estimate the value of your limbs, I'm afraid!! ;) :norty: :D

Ns04

girl-in-a-scoob 18 May 2006 03:49 PM

1600 :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Any cheaper suggestions???

GazTheHat 18 May 2006 04:15 PM

As NS said, check with your dealer, or a couple of dealers first your plans and see how much they turn their nose up at.

Decat exhaust (£400) / Just a backbox (£200)
Decat/Sports cat downpipe (£100/£250)
Panel filter (£30)
Fuel Pump (£85)
Remap (£550)

Suspension mods (See powerstation stage1 & 2 handling kits for ideas/prices).

Track Day/Driver training - anyone would go faster if they knew what to do with it (myself included!)

Save for an STi :p

girl-in-a-scoob 18 May 2006 04:35 PM

Well... there's the thing you see... Dont wanna go faster.. Done that.. had a 600 Sportsbike

Just wondered what else I could do... noise wise..... looks wise etc

Kinda outta the 'penelope pitstop' bit now lol

Other half is frantically saving for an STI

:)

Daniel-S 18 May 2006 04:47 PM

If its just for noise then a backbox will do

mikepaul 18 May 2006 06:04 PM

Shop around

1600 :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Any cheaper suggestions???

Phone round a few dealers, I negotiated PPP for £1050, luckily my local dealer price matched.

PPP has been tested thoroughly by Prodrive exhaustive R&D , so probably the safest route and also more Insurance friendly as many insurers see it as an official option supported by Suburu.

I’m sure the superchips derivatives are good, but they don’t have the same testing and QA as Prodrive; which ensures/guarantees (caveat with any car; sensible usage) the engine has a decent lifespan. I have gone the 3rd party route with previous turbo cars and they are so fussy about fuel, whereas the PPP option will run on any 95+Octane fuel without problems.

Regards.

Mike Paul

corradoboy 18 May 2006 06:28 PM

New-age PPP specify 97RON+ (check Prodrive website), unless you can't get any then a small amount of 95 just to get you to the good stuff and recommend you stay off boost. PPP map is just a generic ECUtec map. On some cars it works well, others it can work lousy. They've toned down the potential to protect the engine and make it as friendly as possible as it should really be vehicle specific. A bespoke ECUtec will always be not only more powerful, but if done right, safer too.
Plenty of alternative BB's, decat mids and good mappers about. Throw in a Samco I/C hose and you should have more power for less cash. Add a decat up-pipe, high flow DP and uprated I/C and you're laughing, although this level would probably need injectors and a fuel pump too.

Dave Bullock 19 May 2006 12:36 PM

PPP

Same here got PPP for MY04 WRX for £1050.00.

The certificate that you get with the PPP states that the car is perfectly OK running on 95RON but to get the full benefits use 97RON.

Some people knock PPP but it transformed my car.

Dave.

//Slydai\\ 19 May 2006 01:09 PM

Stick some Playboy and Girl Racer stickers on it.......theyre good for 10bhp each

corradoboy 19 May 2006 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Dave Bullock
Some people knock PPP but it transformed my car.

PPP is superb on my 03 WRX too, and my mate Dazza's 03 STi was awesome. On the other hand, my mate Steve's 03 STi was terrible, leading him to have TSL fit parts of the TSL333 with the bespoke ECUtec remap by Richard Bulmer to make the car much, much better. He now has an 05 STi and delayed purchase until he had assurance from Prodrive that he wouldn't have the same issues. He still isn't 100% happy :rolleyes: It does vary greatly from car to car, whereas a bespoke ECUtec will always be very good, mapper dependant of course.

The Trooper 1815 19 May 2006 01:36 PM

EcuTEK less than half the price of PPP and it's mapped to the car not a one size fits all. Can produce better results on BHP/Nm too. With WR Back box and panel filter I got 264 BHP/334Nm on a Bugeye WRX (All the cats still on). STi go for a lot less than a PPP.