ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   landscaper has bodged my landscape (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/515633-landscaper-has-bodged-my-landscape.html)

brumdaisy 16 May 2006 12:32 AM

landscaper has bodged my landscape

Advice please....

Ive recently been employing a bloke who is just setting up as a landscape gardener. He has laid a block paving patio and two sets of steps.

First steps great, second, which I saw tonight not so good in fact they look like he was stoned. Most of the patio is spot on but in one area it looks like a big fat pimple is festering underneath. Trouble is he would have to take around half of it up to flatten out the sand and relay it.

He's a really sound bloke, works hard and because he's learning as he goes along, he's not charging a fortune. Trouble is the job isn't good enough, in fact I wanted to cry when i got home. I know he's perfectly capable of redoing both jobs as other bits are great. I just cant work out how to broach it tomorrow... Im a complete wimp and he's so proud of what he's done (which for the most part he should be).

help :(

TopBanana 16 May 2006 12:34 AM

Ask him if he's happy with what he's done. He'll most likely say no, and offer to fix it for you. Be firm but fair.

Bubba po 16 May 2006 12:34 AM

Let's face it... you just wanted to take a diet coke break while he was w*rking, right? :D

brumdaisy 16 May 2006 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by TopBanana
Ask him if he's happy with what he's done. He'll most likely say no, and offer to fix it for you. Be firm but fair.

He phoned tonight as I wasnt here today, gushing with enthusiasm and pride :cry:

brumdaisy 16 May 2006 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by Bubba po
Let's face it... you just wanted to take a diet coke break while he was w*rking, right? :D

lol In four years I have spent over £40k on workmen and not one of them was fit :mad:

fitzscoob 16 May 2006 07:42 AM

Its your money, you have the following options -

1) Say nothing and live with it.

2) Say nothing and pay someone else to come in and repair his work.

3) Speak reasonably with the workman and show him your areas of concern, ask him to put it right.

Do you like the bloke that much that you are willing to take a hit in the bank balance just so that you avoid a confrontation?

TopBanana 16 May 2006 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by fitzscoob
Do you like the bloke that much that you are willing to take a hit in the bank balance just so that you avoid a confrontation?

In the long wrong, he'll want to know if you're happy or not with the results... especially if he's new at the job. He has to learn somehow.

Alas 16 May 2006 11:04 AM

If he's just starting he'll want you singing his praises to other customers, not unhappy with what he's done. Tell him how good all the other bits are but that one part is not up to the standard of the rest. He'll want to fix it. Honest:D

David Lock 16 May 2006 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by brumdaisy

........but in one area it looks like a big fat pimple is festering underneath.

(

Haven't lost the cat have you?

Just tell him you are not happy and why and ask him to re-do it. I am sure he is going to have a lot fussier customers than you :)

simpsons ! 16 May 2006 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by brumdaisy
lol In four years I have spent over £40k on workmen and not one of them was fit :mad:

You need to check out this website www.pavingexpert.com !

Tell him gently you're not happy with the area that is wrong if he has'nt realised that it is'nt up to scratch he will carry on thinking that he does a good job. Paving is to look at as well as walk on !

I work here www.tobermore.co.uk

Regards Simpson

Brendan Hughes 16 May 2006 11:47 AM

Tell him that if other prospective customers come to your place to look at previous examples of his work, they'll be put off by the pimple.

brumdaisy 16 May 2006 01:39 PM

thank you, some good advice there.... lots of praise on the good bits and sensitive approach to the less good bits and keep reminding myself that he will want me to be entirely happy with the job :)

so, 'sensitive' whats all that about then? :wonder: :D

fast bloke 16 May 2006 01:53 PM

'sensitive' is when you don't swear while you are calling him a gobsh1te