ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Styling (https://www.scoobynet.com/styling-36/)
-   -   Opinions on Windo Tints Please.... (https://www.scoobynet.com/styling-36/515554-opinions-on-windo-tints-please.html)

Spoiler 15 May 2006 08:37 PM

Opinions on Windo Tints Please....

What's the thoughts???

All??

Just the back doors and back screen??( my fav just now)

Can decide...

Anyone got any opinions or photos..??

Thanks
:wonder:

wonfa 16 May 2006 01:57 AM

im biased cause i have them, mine are complete limo blacked out rear doors and back window
i think they look great especially as ive got a bright red classic
for some unknown reason people think that ive got a 3 door scoob as a couple of mates when they first saw the car went to get in the front passenger door and pull the seat back like in a coupe:cuckoo:
i went on a long journey the other day when it was hot and i had a car full and everyone commented on how they felt cooler in the back with the tints too

craig

magicdudey 16 May 2006 08:12 AM

WRX 300 with pimpoed put rear 3 windows done.
I have my last 2 cars tinted and all I can say apart form the looking good factor is that YOU ARE NEVER BLINDED IN THE REAR BY SILLY DRIVERS WITH THIER FULL BEAM OR BRIGHT LIGHTS.
So much so that my wife even had her Picasso done due to being so impressed with not being blinded by rear lights. Well worth it everytime.

Spoiler 16 May 2006 09:02 AM

Thanks for the replys, what grade of tint is best, I don't like the idea of limo as I would still like a bit of light!!

Thanks

pauld37 17 May 2006 07:33 PM

Had 80% tints fitted 3 weeks ago and makes a big difference looks wise, very happy, get it done :D

scoobykevuk 19 May 2006 11:26 PM

doing mine soon,done my last 3 cars too,but have always done all windows as i think it looks odd just the rears ( even tho this is the only legal way)

willsy369 20 May 2006 06:54 PM

Im getting mine done soon too, but my excuse (although i like it anyway) is that it will keep the sun of the kids in the back! lol worked for the missus!

willsy

scoobykevuk 20 May 2006 07:18 PM

thats the one i used mate.lol

Spoiler 21 May 2006 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by willsy369
Im getting mine done soon too, but my excuse (although i like it anyway) is that it will keep the sun of the kids in the back! lol worked for the missus!

willsy

good one..

LOL

:lol1:

*LJB* 21 May 2006 12:06 PM

Had mine done a couple of weeks ago, when for medium tint all round :nono: but I prefered it to just the back dark.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f2...alRally033.jpg

chiark 22 May 2006 02:21 PM

So much so that my wife even had her Picasso done due to being so impressed with not being blinded by rear lights. Well worth it everytime.
You know that little switch on the bottom of your rear view mirror? ;) It's a lot cheaper...

LJB, that looks very smart. Have you had any interest from the boys in blue, or are they not too bothered about medium on the front (I guess you know that they can give you a delayed prohibition notice if they think VLT is less than 70%, which means remove it or face prosecution) ?

sarasquares 22 May 2006 02:24 PM

i have legal tints on mine and i wouldnt be without them now
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...quares/off.jpg

Neil W 22 May 2006 03:23 PM

Also thought of having this done.

Is it only legal to have the rear / rear sides done now?

chiark 22 May 2006 05:48 PM

The rules are that the total visible light transmission of the front window and any tint must be greater than 70%. Windscreen is 75% VLT I think. Rears, rear window can be anything.

However, that doesn't mean you can fit 30% tints to the front...

Your standard windows only pass around 75-78% of light, so you can effectively fit nothing apart from clear security film to the car and even that runs the risk of dropping it down below 70%.

The change in law that happened was to include any film or treatment applied to windows after manufacture - the law has always been that you must pass 70% of vlt or so, but it only applied to the glass itself ;) hence people fitted limo black and were legal.

Some places refuse to tint front windows at all.

If you're stopped with tints on that the police think look too dark - but only just - they can give you a delayed prohibition notice, which means you've got 10 days to sort it out and show that they're legal.

If you've got daft tints on, they can issue an immediate prohibition notice which means that the car can't be moved under its own power until its rectified. Peel off your tints and you can go.

If you're feeling cocky, you can ask the police to prove that your windows are too dark as they should be using a device to measure VLT. This is a guaranteed way to p 'em off though, which is never a wise idea.

Insurers have been known to take a dim view (no pun intended) of tints too, so declare them if you have them fitted.

Sorry to give chapter and verse, but that's the law as I understand it. There's a lot of bad information given out, including by tinters themselves some of whom will swear blind that "all films on the front are illegal, even clear ones" when that just isn't the case.

*LJB* 22 May 2006 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by chiark
LJB, that looks very smart. Have you had any interest from the boys in blue, or are they not too bothered about medium on the front (I guess you know that they can give you a delayed prohibition notice if they think VLT is less than 70%, which means remove it or face prosecution) ?

Yes I am aware that they aren't legal but I have taken a chance.:nono:

The day after I had them done a police car pulled up next to me at traffic lights they didn't even look at it. :)

I have a legacy estate with slightly lighter tints all round, which were done before the change in the regulations, so far I haven't had a problem.

I know I may one day have to take them off but I will enjoy them until then.

chiark 23 May 2006 07:55 AM

I'm facing exactly the same dilemma: I want to tint all the way around, and am just looking for war stories now :D . I know what the rules are, but am trying to find out what the likelihood of getting pulled is...