ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Wireless broadband with AOL (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/515258-wireless-broadband-with-aol.html)

V4JDMSTi 14 May 2006 07:05 PM

Wireless broadband with AOL

Right guys, Probably an easy one for those that know how to sort it out, but for a simpleton like me this is proving a pain.

I've bought myself a netgear direless network / adsl setup and i've wired it all in. It's working as far as the pc is picking up the transmitter but i can't get the aol (bt voyager 105) modem to work with it.

Please can anyone help?

Thanks,

Matt.

JerryTerzo 14 May 2006 07:08 PM

It won't work with the bt voyager, because the netgear is now your modem. Or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

I've got wireless on AOL and it goes throught the wireless router, not the old voyager.

mykp 14 May 2006 07:08 PM

what netgear box is it?

V4JDMSTi 14 May 2006 07:12 PM

netgear 54 mpbs wireless usb 2.0 adapter model wg111v2.

bought it from pc world. wouldn't suprise me if it won't work with the voyager. they never seem overly clued up in my branch imo.

mike1210 14 May 2006 07:16 PM

Jerry means you shouldnt need the modem anymore:)

JerryTerzo 14 May 2006 07:17 PM

It's not that it won't work with the voyager, it doesn't need to.

You just use the router now instead.

V4JDMSTi 14 May 2006 07:17 PM

ah so i need to configure aol to use the netgear?

mykp 14 May 2006 07:18 PM

Hold on you have a bt voyager 105 which doesnt have any wireless capabilities and a Netgear WG111 which plus into your PC and allows wireless commication with a router which has wireless capability?

So they wont talk to each other as the BT voyager isnt broadcasting a wireless network, so the Wg111 cant receive it!

You need a wireless router which connect to the phone socket and then broadcasts a wireless signal which the wg111 picks up and lets you surf.

Get a WGT834 to replace your BT Voyager.

JerryTerzo 14 May 2006 07:25 PM

Ah, so the wg111 is just a receiver?

Like mykp says, you need the wireless router as well.

V4JDMSTi 14 May 2006 07:28 PM

sorry also have the dg834g - wireless modem router. the seperate model numbers are on different sides of the box

mykp 14 May 2006 07:29 PM

Have you set the DG834 up? connect with the cable supplied, usually a blue cable then in the browser goto 192.168.0.1 and follow the setup leaflet.

V4JDMSTi 14 May 2006 07:33 PM

wanted to have it setup so that there's no cables trailing across the floor. is this not possible then? so far have it hooked up to phone line and the wg111 connect to a usb port on the base unit.

mykp 14 May 2006 07:35 PM

you need to set the wireless up but first you need to connect with the cable, set the router up and then the wireless and then you can unplug and use wirelessly.

JerryTerzo 14 May 2006 07:39 PM

Also go to aol keyword "network" and it should talk you through the setup.

mykp 14 May 2006 07:43 PM

you need to make sure you set the MTU to 1400 for AOL, default is 1500 if I remember rightly.

Also make sure you set a password on your wireless network otherwise you'll have all your neighbours using your connection.

Scudy23 14 May 2006 07:57 PM

You also need the 2mb line ( gold package ) to be able to set up wireless with AOL, unless you ask for what i got which is the gold package without the line speed.

e.g im on a 1mb connection ( which is silver ) but running the gold on line.

Hope that makes sence.

mykp 14 May 2006 08:00 PM

With the netgear it doenst matter what package your on. I have customers on all of the AOL packages with wireless working no problems.

Its down to the hardware at the home/office end not the line. :eek:

V4JDMSTi 15 May 2006 11:14 AM

cheers for all the help guys. I'll have another go when i get home tonight.

yup, i'll set a password on it if i get it working. doesn't it slow the download rate down if there are other users on it?

Leg@cy 15 May 2006 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Scudy23
You also need the 2mb line ( gold package ) to be able to set up wireless with AOL, unless you ask for what i got which is the gold package without the line speed.

e.g im on a 1mb connection ( which is silver ) but running the gold on line.

Hope that makes sence.

Sorry to hijack................. :wonder:

But is this really the case ?

a min of 2mb before you can run wireless ? how would they know ? :Suspiciou

Scudy23 15 May 2006 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Legacy4x4Turbo
Sorry to hijack................. :wonder:

But is this really the case ?

a min of 2mb before you can run wireless ? how would they know ? :Suspiciou

I tried to run a thompson router with aol and it wouldnt happen so then bought a belkin router and still wouldnt happen ( not sure about the netgear ones ) i was then told that aol put some thing one your phone line ( this was by bt broadband ) to stop you going wireless, unless you have a certain package i.e gold or above

mykp 15 May 2006 07:34 PM

Nope, all you need to do is make sure the MTU is set to 1400 this explains why.

http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n100603.asp

setup loads of AOL connections and this works everytime. :thumb: