ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Gumball (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/512775-gumball.html)

Jap Import 04 May 2006 09:41 AM

Gumball

Good to see Scoobies competing in the gumball.
London paved the way for I beleive around 200 cars.
And people were hovering around the Scoobies just as much as the Lambos and Ferraris.

The Scooby is a true Supercar and every1 knows it!:luxhello:

alloy 04 May 2006 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Jap Import
Good to see Scoobies competing in the gumball.
London paved the way for I beleive around 200 cars.
And people were hovering around the Scoobies just as much as the Lambos and Ferraris.

The Scooby is a true Supercar and every1 knows it!:luxhello:

120 cars only :p

Scooby is no supercar, it is however a super car for the amount you pay ;)

WRX300MAN 04 May 2006 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by alloy
120 cars only :p

Scooby is no supercar, it is however a super car for the amount you pay ;)

Alloy! Please stop being so pedantic! Its a super car!:norty: End of story!!:D

alloy 04 May 2006 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by WRX300MAN
Alloy! Please stop being so pedantic! Its a super car!:norty: End of story!!:D

:lol1: it is a super car very much so, not a "supercar" though :p

Matt_taylor 04 May 2006 12:13 PM

alloy is right in a way,

its a super car for the money! i didnt spend 4k on MY97 uk turbo and its mint just starting it up gives me a hard on! lol

WRX300MAN 04 May 2006 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Matt_taylor
alloy is right in a way,

its a super car for the money! i didnt spend 4k on MY97 uk turbo and its mint just starting it up gives me a hard on! lol

Yes . . I follow what you're saying now. . .:wonder: . .For a car to be considered a "SUPER" car, it must cost quite a bit of money . . .Matt_Taylor . .Please explain to me, (because I am an ignorant peasant), at what financial threshhold, does a car start being considered "normal" and start being considered a " Super car " . . . .This fool proof method of judging a cars merits is a little beyond me . .

I am actually thinking of spending a 100k modifying my Datsun to elivate it to super car status!:thumb:

alloy 04 May 2006 01:48 PM

I am actually thinking of spending a 100k modifying my Datsun to elivate it to super car status!:thumb:

that would still not be a supercar ;) , as its still a datsun :p . A supercar must come from factory as close to its pinnacle as possible. A 100k rebuilt datsun would be .......... foolish :D

Gangsta Smurf 04 May 2006 01:53 PM

who gives a flying fcuk.

Gumball is not about the cars, it's about the spirit of taking part.
Because of the price you tend to get the more expensive marques competing and they do try to keep the numpties out who just go on it to get on tv and drive like a tw@t down the inside of lorries.

The organiser states that all cars will be considered but if your car is more rare and exotic you stand a better chance of getting approved. But at the end of the day the award they give out is for the person or person(s) that do it in the craziest or most difficult way!

Note: Scoobies are 20k cars and are not supercars. Any jockey can go buy one for like £2k now. A supercar is a ferrari, lamborghini, porka, etc etc etc.

alloy 04 May 2006 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Gangsta Smurf

Note: Scoobies are 20k cars and are not supercars. Any jockey can go buy one for like £2k now. A supercar is a ferrari, lamborghini, porka, etc etc etc.

:thumb:

Gutmann pug 04 May 2006 01:58 PM

I have to say im not a great believer in the Gumball type thing. The track driving they do is fine but its the whole get from A to B very very quickly in between im not keen on. Yeah the organisors state its not a race etc BUT there are always video's after showing stupid speeding and dangerous driving....... Doesnt SN have a member in jail at the moment for this kind of driving.

Now the mongol rally ....... here to Mongolia in a 1ltr £1,000 car thats a challenge.

WRX300MAN 04 May 2006 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Gutmann pug
Now the mongol rally ....... here to Mongolia in a 1ltr £1,000 car thats a challenge.

Here to Mongolia in a Datsun!:thumb:

Gutmann pug 04 May 2006 03:31 PM

and when you get there abandon it and fly home.........

most useful luggage Vodka, to bribe your way through police check points.

corradoboy 04 May 2006 04:13 PM

DEFINE SUPERCAR

WRX300MAN 04 May 2006 04:22 PM

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/defi...9899&dict=CALD

followed by

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/defi...1343&dict=CALD

Agreed! The Scoob is a good car!:thumb:

Wikipedia is a bit Chavy!:thumb:

Davey P 04 May 2006 04:36 PM

I watched all the cars leave and didn't see one Subaru.
I agree with what others have said, a Subaru is not a supercar!

alloy 04 May 2006 04:38 PM

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/defi...9899&dict=CALD

followed by

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/defi...1343&dict=CALD

Agreed! The Scoob is a good car!:thumb:

Wikipedia is a bit Chavy!:thumb:

see i wasn't being pedantic. I was covering all bases ;)

Supercar = Lambo, ferrari, Zonda etc

Super Car = Users satisfaction of said motor vehicle, for which i would assume the majority of scoob owners would say it was a super car :p

:D

WRX300MAN 04 May 2006 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by alloy
see i wasn't being pedantic. I was covering all bases ;)

Supercar = Lambo, ferrari, Zonda etc

Super Car = Users satisfaction of said motor vehicle, for which i would assume the majority of scoob owners would say it was a super car :p

:D

Hello again Alloy!:D It's me . .

Agreed . .You are not pedantic, but it appears I am v.much so!!!!:luxhello: . .Could you please clarify to me, exactly how you were covering all bases .. :wonder: . .Especially as it has come t o my attention that the word Supercar does not exist! And if it did, it would be a composite word and should be treated like such!:norty:

Alloy . . Are you scuffed??:lol1::idea: . . .Perhaps I would tend to agree with you if you used the word "Exotic" . . But even that would be stretching it! Right . . .Who's coming down with me to COUNTDOWN????LOL

Jap Import 04 May 2006 06:01 PM

And the dictionaries come out to define supercar :cuckoo:

SUPERCAR PERFORMANCE I was referring to chaps.

maybe not in top end but acceleration.

Im just pleased to see Scoobies doing the run, I beleive I saw 3 last nite.

alloy 04 May 2006 06:16 PM

.Could you please clarify to me, exactly how you were covering all bases .. :wonder: . .Especially as it has come t o my attention that the word Supercar does not exist! And if it did, it would be a composite word and should be treated like such!:norty:

[/quote]

The Wikipedia link shows the word as a whole and not composite. In the initial post i saw a word which could have meant supercar and super car, hence when i said it's not a supercar but a super car i was covering the two seperate interpretations ;)

Jap Import: I dont know how you can write "true supercar" and be reffering to performance, that by any means can only be interpreted as a supercar, i.e. exotica, especially when used in the context of the Gumball rally :D

Gangsta Smurf 04 May 2006 07:20 PM

that was the 2005 rally you are watching dude. Were 5 scoobs on that. None this year!!

The only car vaugely similar was an EVO MR which was on the start-line on Sunday. But I believe the guy who owns it bought it only to do the Gumball in and uses it for nothing else. That's what I could make out from hearing some of the conversations on the start grid.

WRX300MAN 05 May 2006 12:29 AM

[
[/quote]
The Wikipedia link shows the word as a whole and not composite. In the initial post i saw a word which could have meant supercar and super car, hence when i said it's not a supercar but a super car i was covering the two seperate interpretations ;) [/quote]

FFS Alloy :brickwall. . Since when is the Wikipedia considered an authority on the Engligh language!:cuckoo: Neither the Oxford , nor Cambridge dictionaries contain the aforementioned word . . To my mind, however, the Scoob , is a Super Car as there is nothing like it!:luvlove::thumb::D;) . .

Nice talking to you!:sleep:

KiwiGTI 05 May 2006 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by corradoboy

According to Wikipedia, the STI is a supercar. (from your link)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...000s_Supercars

Scooby-Monster 05 May 2006 01:09 AM

No one seems to have mentioned Hypercars yet :) The Scoob can be a beast but, a Hypercar it's not! Even if it would humble many 80's Supercars comprehensively!

So what would you call a Hypercar?

I'll Start... Enzo.... Koenigsegg (did I spell that with enough g's?)any more?

Scooby-Monster 05 May 2006 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI
According to Wikipedia, the STI is a supercar. (from your link)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...000s_Supercars

Only if its blue or white though. The rest suffer from T lag far more and hence are slower.

:)

KiwiGTI 05 May 2006 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by Scooby-Monster
No one seems to have mentioned Hypercars yet :) The Scoob can be a beast but, a Hypercar it's not! Even if it would humble many 80's Supercars comprehensively!

So what would you call a Hypercar?

I'll Start... Enzo.... Koenigsegg (did I spell that with enough g's?)any more?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypercar

Bangkok Matt 05 May 2006 06:37 AM

Nope, no Scoobs in it this year. The Grid.

Jap Import 05 May 2006 08:34 AM

[QUOTE=alloy]120 cars only :p

Ermmmm 131 to be exact! :hjtwofing

Jap Import 05 May 2006 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Bangkok Matt
Nope, no Scoobs in it this year. The Grid.

Good find

Jap Import 05 May 2006 08:39 AM

How about locking or deleting this thread, it sunk along way back (dictionary garbage).:cuckoo:

It was just my opinion that was stated about the scooby being a supercar.
IT IS IN IT'S OWN RIGHT.

Lets hear some 0-60 times

alloy 05 May 2006 09:09 AM

FFS Alloy :brickwall. . Since when is the Wikipedia considered an authority on the Engligh language!:cuckoo: Neither the Oxford , nor Cambridge dictionaries contain the aforementioned word . . To my mind, however, the Scoob , is a Super Car as there is nothing like it!:luvlove::thumb::D;) . .

Nice talking to you!:sleep:

:lol: Handbags!!

I never said it was an authority, but it does however show the word not as a composite. However the more comprehensive online oxford dictionary does have the noun supercar in it http://www.askoxford.com as well as the collins online dictionary, incidently the cambridge does not :p

Nice correcting you :hjtwofing