ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   castrol gtx magnetec (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/512122-castrol-gtx-magnetec.html)

leecalcars 01 May 2006 07:59 PM

castrol gtx magnetec

Did an oil change today on my type r for the first time iv'e used 5w 30 castrol GTX magnetec (think this is fully synthetic) should i use this as have noticed a considerable change ,your thoughts please.:wonder:

Neilo 01 May 2006 08:08 PM

considerable change how? not sure ive heard of anyone using 5w30 in a scoob before....

leecalcars 01 May 2006 08:16 PM

wot should you use then 10w 30 is the 5w to thick then

[Davey] 01 May 2006 08:48 PM

Magnatec is over priced, recycled piss water jam packed with oil seal ****ing detergents.

leecalcars 01 May 2006 08:57 PM

so you dissaprove then davey boy

Trashman 01 May 2006 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by [Davey]
Magnatec is over priced, recycled piss water jam packed with oil seal ****ing detergents.

Rough translation: "Not Recomended":D Also believe there are additives which tend to block the oil filters IIRC, plus it is a little on the thin side.

Generally a high quality 10W40 for standard UK road use (not hard or extreme). Something a bit thicker, 10W50 or 10W60 for STi's, modded, imports etc. Opinion is very varied on here and lots of different preferences. One certain person will come along, call everyone anal and say chuck any cheap synthetic in, saying a 10W50 is for situations where oil is over a certain temp only.

Many many others will say ignore him and use a high quality Fully Synthetic 0W/15W 40-60. Personally I have used Motul 300 15W50 and noticed much better oil pressure throughout its' 10K life over the standard Shell Helix 10W40 that dealers commonly use (i.e not dropping towards the change time).

[Davey] 01 May 2006 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by leecalcars
so you dissaprove then davey boy

Damn right!

Personally I buy my oil from manufacturers trade, the way I see it, if they are willing to stick it in a cars they are offering a 3 or 4 year warrenty for its got to be good :lol1:

Vauxhall is my fave at the mo, under £20 for 20 litres of 10w40 semi..

Hellfrauds 10w40 s/s (Green bottle) is good stuff too..

bpm1588 01 May 2006 10:23 PM

just had my new sti serviced (1000mile) they used magnatec and charged me 30 quid!

funny thing is i have a shed full of castrol rs,car shop round here was closing up and i done a deal for the lot.pity the subaru dealer wont let you bring ur own!

timuk1 01 May 2006 10:37 PM

I use mobile 1 on my scooby :)

leecalcars 01 May 2006 10:38 PM

A mate of mine took his car to chandlers for a service (04 wrx) subaru dealership they recommended GTX 5w 30 so really confused .

On my cars last service i told him to put in 10w 40 fully synthetic which was done checked yesterday the dipstick was nearly dry,some synthetic oils do burn away under high temperatures so thought i would make a change to magnetec fully synthetic .

noticed on cold start up normally leave outside on the drive for 5 mins then take it steady till the oil pressure drops down to around 80psi ,sometimes can take 2 or 3 miles ,with the magnetec couldn't have been more than a half mile and pressure had dropped to normal running at 80 psi.

Bob Rawle 01 May 2006 11:01 PM

Suggest getting it out of your car asap

bob

mark28 01 May 2006 11:25 PM

look on the bright side mate, if it burns some oil at least you can pee in it to top it back up. :lol1:

oil is pounds and rebuilds are grands ;)

P1 NUT 01 May 2006 11:51 PM

Millers oils or Motul are the 2 best out there. Either 10w60 for Millers as this is f.s. and triple ester or 15w50 for Motul, double ester, but only if you are doing longer journeys at a time as it doesn't have a great cold start as it is thicker than the 10w. I am currently running Millers 10w60 as I do trackdays in me classic sti.

crusher 02 May 2006 09:58 AM

don't go near magnatec...as Bob says get it out asap and put in a decent oil!

leecalcars 02 May 2006 03:59 PM

I'm confused with all this bad press about magnetec,is it ****e oil or no good for the sti engine,

The car's been parked up all day dare not take it out for engine faliure,please enlighten me on this stuff .

Andrew Timmins 02 May 2006 04:54 PM

I'm confused with all this bad press about magnetec,is it ****e oil or no good for the sti engine,

The car's been parked up all day dare not take it out for engine faliure,please enlighten me on this stuff .

It is a semi-synthetic oil not a fully synthetic. It seems a little overpriced for what you are getting; a cheaper brand/own brand fully synthetic should be available at the same or lower price.

Also it is probably a little thin for your engine. It is the second number, the 30 in this case, which tells you the viscosity at operating temperature. A search for some of the threads by Oilman should give you plenty of information about what the viscosity ratings mean.

[Davey] 02 May 2006 06:14 PM

Magnatec is ****e full stop, to be fair all castrol oils are recycled detergent filled ****e..

Timothy Morphy 02 May 2006 09:41 PM

A couple years ago i had a 200sx,got the turbo serviced at turbo dynamics and when i said i was going to put magnetec in he looked at me like i'd just farted! he said ' don't put magneslop anywhere near it,it clogs the turbo oil lines,leading to failure'

[Davey] 03 May 2006 07:59 AM

Well atleast its something we all agree on lol!

leecalcars 03 May 2006 03:55 PM

coming out this weekend then,

Only problem is when it goes in for it's service at chandlers (subaru dealership)they recommend magneslop .How do you get them to put in the right oil.

[Davey] 03 May 2006 04:07 PM

Tell them! I'm seriously shocked they are using Magnatec.

If they think Magnatec is a good oil then what else are they cluess about? I would avoid them and use another dealer that has a clue.

scooby_matt 03 May 2006 04:56 PM

Best bet is PM Oilman with any queries, he knows his stuff alot better than most on here

MickWrx 03 May 2006 05:18 PM

Comma semi synthetic 10/40 £9.85 5lts plus genuine Jap filter at £3.50 and change oil every six weeks.

I've been doing this for 5 years of trouble free WRX ownership.

Its not all about names and high prices it's about regular oil changes, excessively so if the car is driven enthusiastically.

maci 04 May 2006 12:19 PM

Magnatec is not a bad oil, just not good enough for a turbo scoob. I had it in my peg and it was ok.
BUT in my Impreza I'd never put it. I fact I'd never put any kind of Castrol oil in an Impreza... I had the Castrol RS, which supposed to be proper oil(fully synthetic etc) and after about 5k km, the car just become sluggish, slow, and oilcolor was black.
Taken Oilman's advice, replaced with Motul 300v; I use 5W40(no trackdays here) and the oil is exceptionally good. Engine performance imediately jumped, and even after 7 k km is still very good. Oilcolor is nice brown.

classic scooby doo 04 May 2006 04:51 PM

What Oil???

Sorry to start this topic back up but its got me thinking. Im changing oil and filter this weekend and after looking on the web came to the idea that 0w-40 fully synthetic would be the right route to go. Is this right?:wonder:

crusher 05 May 2006 07:25 PM

don't use a 0w !

GaryCat 05 May 2006 08:13 PM

SGT (Subaru main dealer) in Taplow always use magnatec too. 100,000 miles in 2 scoobs so it can't be that bad can it?

AndyMoody 05 May 2006 09:29 PM

Loads of different opinions about what oil on here. Here is an e-mail I got back from Motul which is the supplier to SWRT.

Dear Sir,

Subaru basic recommendation is 5W-30 but you have the possibility to adjust to your own use, for normal, we recommend Motul 8100 Eco-nergie 5W-30, for hard driving or racing, we recommend Motul 300V Power 5W-40 or better Motul 300V Competition 15W-50.

Best regards

Alain Faleix
Motul Technical Department

I did use Castrol RS 10-60 but after reading it wasn't proper fully syn swapped to Motul 300v Power 5-40. Got it from Alyn at AS Performance. Give him a call and ask his advise if you need more info and a decent deal.

Andy.

sideways scooby 05 May 2006 09:48 PM

I use silkolene 5w-40 i think it is best for a standard or mildly tuned engine :thumb:

~DrEaM~ 05 May 2006 10:44 PM

i'd stay clear from castrol gtx magnetec ... cr@p oil