ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Rejecting a second hand car (please read) (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/512093-rejecting-a-second-hand-car-please-read.html)

Gary C 05 May 2006 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by acko
i presume you get a 14 day cooling off period when you sign your name to anything, so in my eyes you have the right to demand your moneys back, and he must comply

Thats only for the credit agreement, and he has the goods so I don't think that counts.

Only leg to stand on is misrepresentation of goods or not of merchantable quality. First will be very hard, second virtually impossible (as the car is 'saleable')

[Davey] 05 May 2006 08:34 AM

Did the car come with a 12 month MOT?

If so I would seriously think about getting the VOSA involved too. If as a business they are falsely MOT'ing cars by over looking faults that could deem the car not actually road worthy they will be in big trouble, Maybe you could threaten him with this?

Yes if they inspect your car and decide it is unfit for the road your MOT will be declared void *BUT* who ever gave the MOT will be in deep ****.

d4ve_h4y 05 May 2006 10:10 AM

gutted sounds like the dealers a complete wanker :(

but legal talk should scare him into fixing it......as hes never going to win.

mightyyid 05 May 2006 10:24 AM

You have two main issues here:

Paint - sorry, but that is your tough luck. You had the chance to inspect the car however many times, but unless they touched it up AFTER you purchased it, you do not have a leg to stand on.

Shocks - this you do, but of course the dealer will try and get out of the cost. Remember though £800 is what you are paying. Any dealer will do the work himself so the cost is far less, plus Subaru rates are also more than this dealer will provide. Here you do have some leg to stand on.

£13,000 sounds top whack for a 2002 model I would have thought, but others will know more...

dr jim 11 May 2006 09:25 PM

Got bad news today.......subaru will not repalce shocks or top mounts F.O.C. contacted car dealer who said he would replace top mounts F.O.C but would not replace struts as he is confident that top mounts will fix the problem even though subaru says it wont because both parts are worn and replacing the top mount is not the reccomend fix. What do i do now? i have asked for a refund for the car but his reply was "dont do refunds" he has offered to go 50/50 on strut and top mounts but this leaves me with a bill of 400.00 for a car i only had 2 weeks. Citzein advice have told me i am intitled to a free repair but the dealer thinks not and i should incur part of the cost even though the fault was present when i purchased the car because the noise is due to wear & tear.

I have expalined to him that it is a well known problem on this model.
Any advice on my next move? as i understand if i decide to reject the car i have to stop using it and this is my only form of trasnsport and will not be able to get to work.

gray-efc 11 May 2006 10:12 PM

where did you get this car from mate? Iv had similar problems in the past. Once they've got your money they dont give a toss any more.

dr jim 11 May 2006 10:16 PM

i will keep the name of the dealer private at the momment..... but i will say he is in the brighton area.

little-ginge 11 May 2006 10:46 PM

If the CAB have told you that you are entitled to a free repair, I would have thought they would be the best as they can advise on what you should/can do next if the seller is sticking to his guns...

Sounds like you got a rough deal:(

esp ltd 11 May 2006 11:15 PM

Where on earth do you get a "14 day cooloing off period"????? He has bought a second hand car not a timeshare in Spain:lol1: :lol1: :lol1: If you have bought a car with worn out shox then i would inform the dealer in writing by registered mail and send a copy to your local trading standards asking that the problem be resolved. I would presume that the dealer would then get it sorted but as for paint flaws then i'm afraid that's down to you.
I am a Jap car dealer but as a small business i drive each and every car for a day a so and when i'm happy with the car she's then serviced and put up for sale. All cars are machines at the end of the day and will almost certainly go wrong occassionally but it's down to how the problems are then dealt with. If you had bought a faulty car from me and then called with with your concerns i would do one of three things.......firstly i would offer to repair the car with new parts, not always OE parts, with my own mechanic.........second, if you insisited on genuine OE parts i would contribute the cost of the non-OE parts towards the genuine parts and get them fitted at my cost........thirdly, if you totally insisted on overpriced genuine parts then i'd simply take the car back in from you and refund then repair at my leisure then re-sell afterwards.
It's not hard to look after customers but then both parties must play the game. Lastly, did you buy this car on finance???? If yes then just call up your finance company and tell them you arer unhappy but do it asap or you will lose out........hope this helps a little!!!!
Dave.

Vxr2010 10 August 2018 04:31 PM

To follow a legal process the best thing is to go to the garage to let them try and solve it being either refund or repair , go with some one else don’t be aggressive but be firm and say what you want , what ever is agreed on is signed by those involved , for courts and or trading standards it helps a lot to show you have been reasonable and tried to resolve it , small claims court will deal with claims up to 10k£ and you can apply on line , helps to have trading standards in your side too

hedgecutter 10 August 2018 05:49 PM

Holy 12 year thread revival!

Vxr2010 10 August 2018 06:43 PM

wow that’s weird just saw the date , how come that came up as a new thread on the front page ?? yes i think that’s past it’s time ??? i will try and check a date next time

Vxr2010 10 August 2018 06:47 PM

No it’s not me , this has come up some how related to the post 2 below it , still a bit weird ??