ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   crash crash (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/511252-crash-crash.html)

stewby2202 27 April 2006 08:13 PM

crash crash

http://www.corvettekillstories.com/p...s/wrxcrash.wmvhttp://www.corvettekillstories.com/p...s/wrxcrash.wmv

KiwiGTI 27 April 2006 08:23 PM

Didn't look like he was going that fast.

nik52wrx 27 April 2006 08:30 PM

"Not as easy as it looks"

:lol: Bollox! Judging by how quickly the tailing car stopped, they can't have been going that quickly.
Sh*te driving in my opinion

stewby2202 27 April 2006 08:32 PM

Thats what i thought, think he just got a fright and covered his eyes when he saw the bike:eek2: :eek2: :eek2::cry::cry::cry:

hedgehog 27 April 2006 09:31 PM

I think that looks exactly like how my STi behaved as well, though i was lucky enough never to hit a canyon wall. You didn't need to be going that fast for the evil handling thing to let go and once it did catching it was more luck than skill.

EVOLUTION 27 April 2006 09:49 PM

whoops

wacky.banana 27 April 2006 10:00 PM

Just had a look. If you watch carefully you will see the back end step out a little just after the bike went by. I guess he then corrected to try to catch it and the rest is history.

He survived, which is all that matters, and no one seems to have got hurt.

dogpole 27 April 2006 10:38 PM

didn't want to do that

ALi-B 27 April 2006 10:41 PM

Been posted on here before and debated to death.

Braking mid-bend...need I say more?

Somebody asked me is this the infamous "Subaru bite?" Well, I replied...yup! :D

Suresh 27 April 2006 10:42 PM

That's the dreaded "fuel surge" I reckon. I saw a thread on it here once.

Suresh

CRX-Ownage 28 April 2006 12:08 AM

He upset the balance of the car by braking hard right on the corner, he didnt need a flicking left correction, just more gas to drive through the skid! just just human reaction I guess.. I've fish tailed like that before, then I leart the scandinavian flick :)

WRX300MAN 28 April 2006 01:32 AM

:brickwallLooks like a simple case of panic and a fish tail gone wrong . . .Most apt thing to do . .As the rear is kicking out, just let go of the steering wheel, - therefore letting the self aligning torque of the tyres stabilise the car and bring it in to balance . .Oh well . .You live and learn!;)

StudentScooby 28 April 2006 01:53 AM

wow

SirFozzalot 28 April 2006 09:05 AM

Ouch! :brickwall

jonathan100 28 April 2006 10:10 AM

brake befor the bend and not half way round simple. now everyone say after me SLOW IN FAST OUT! lol

Swen6 28 April 2006 10:25 AM

Whoops:freak3:

RedScoob 28 April 2006 10:35 AM

The Subaru "Snap" claims another victim...... At least nobody got hurt, but I think his tracking may be a bit out now.

Jay m A 28 April 2006 10:51 AM

Driver error pure and simple. Braking mid bend gets the tail light so it steps out, the driver has steered into the slide at the same time as coming off the brakes, so the back end grips - no slide to correct so the armful of lock throws the car into the wall.

Hedgehog, interesting comment - if a driver doesn't have the skill to catch a slide then indeed only luck will avoid an accident. In this example the driver induces the slide by braking whilst cornering reasonably hard, its not as if the car started sliding of its own, ill handling accord.

KiwiGTI 28 April 2006 10:54 AM

Excuse the ignorance, I know the physics behind it, but isn't this exactly what ABS and EBD are supposed to prevent - certainly what the manufacturers market them for.

ALi-B 28 April 2006 10:58 AM

I think the point hedgehog is making is that "when it does" step out it can be difficult to catch before it snaps the other way.

Yes, in this instance driver error causes it, and the driver's ability makes it even worse. However, the controllability, speed, and volatility that you typically see when an Impreza snaps is the charateristic that will easily catch out the unwary or the even wary on an "off-day" ;)

hedgehog 28 April 2006 04:12 PM

The question is did he brake mid corner? I'm not sure he did, though it certainly looked like he braked going into the corner. It is possible the brake lights came on, but it might just be the light catching them or he might be doing some left foot braking. Either way he wasn't going that quickly and I know i could easily have drifted my MY99 classic around the corner under similar circumstances. My MY03 STi would have done exactly the same thing as the car in the video and would very quickly have become uncatchable even if the power was kept on. I remain convinced that they have loads of grip etc. but are an evil handling car with a major chassis flaw that shouldn't be there. I only saw the flaw a few times during ownership and the car was driven quite hard but I am convinced it is there and that if you drive the new age car, certainly the MY03, hard for long enough you will get to see it and you will know it when it happens.

KiwiGTI 28 April 2006 04:22 PM

I'm pretty sure he braked mid-corner and the Corvette forums seem to back that up. In any case there is definitely a self-inflicted movement, whether by braking or by a steering reaction in response to the oncoming bike.

WRX300MAN 28 April 2006 04:25 PM

I see quite a lot of people full of bright ideas . . . .Letting go of the steering wheel???Any takers??:wonder:SElf aligning torque????Anyone????:confused: . ..WE should start a new thread . . . ." The anatomy of a Crash " - by Scoobynet!:lol1:

paulquest 28 April 2006 04:36 PM

OOPPSS! :freak3:

Lucky it's only his wallet and pride that got hurt.

ALi-B 28 April 2006 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by WRX300MAN
I see quite a lot of people full of bright ideas . . . .Letting go of the steering wheel???Any takers??:wonder:SElf aligning torque????Anyone????:confused: . ..WE should start a new thread . . . ." The anatomy of a Crash " - by Scoobynet!:lol1:

Letting go of the steering wheel is a well documented correction for oversteer. Have a talk with a race instructor down your local race track :)

adzipalmer 28 April 2006 04:55 PM

ooouucchhh!!!!!

anc-sti 28 April 2006 06:44 PM

Looked like he braked when the bike shocked him unbalancing the car. At the same time he will have let go of the throttle just as the corner seemed to tightened which unfortunately sealed his fate.

WRX300MAN 28 April 2006 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Letting go of the steering wheel is a well documented correction for oversteer. Have a talk with a race instructor down your local race track :)

That I do know . .Had a talk a long lime ago . .Its the most natural, correct and "obvious" way to controll the car . . But what seems interesting is that everyone is full of bright ideas as to what went wrong, but not many people are prepared to offer the aforementioned sollution . . .:Whatever_ . .We all know what went wrong . . . He went in to the Canyon!:thumb:

What is the Scooby "Snap" . . .???????Anyone ???????

ALi-B 28 April 2006 07:28 PM

Snap: Back end steps out in a typical oversteer scenario, but upon correction it suddenly regains grip. This in combintion with the steering input and weight transfer across the rear axle causes the vehicle to violently oversteer in the opposite direction with little margin to regain control.

:)

WRX300MAN 28 April 2006 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Snap: Back end steps out in a typical oversteer scenario, but upon correction it suddenly regains grip. This in combintion with the steering input and weight transfer across the rear axle causes the vehicle to violently oversteer in the opposite direction with little margin to regain control.

:)

More distressing than it actually is? But thanks . .Will look out!:)