ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Suspension (https://www.scoobynet.com/suspension-12/)
-   -   DROPLINKS (https://www.scoobynet.com/suspension-12/509822-droplinks.html)

pslewis 22 April 2006 03:59 PM

DROPLINKS

Are droplinks a weak area on the Impreza??

Never heard of any problems - but the MOT Tester this morning said that they were the area these cars are likely to fail ..... was it just talk??

Pete

scooby_matt 22 April 2006 05:41 PM

It's more likely to be the bushes than the droplink itself.
Not a common problem to my knowledge though

SPEN555 22 April 2006 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by pslewis
Are droplinks a weak area on the Impreza??

Never heard of any problems - but the MOT Tester this morning said that they were the area these cars are likely to fail ..... was it just talk??

Pete

Can't u spell now??? Don't u mean your cocklink?

Fuzz 22 April 2006 07:21 PM

Yes Pete, the only bushes that seem to wear on an Impreza. :D

Andy

pslewis 23 April 2006 11:04 PM

Cheers .... easy to replace or a pain in the arse??

Cost? MOT bloke said that they were really expensive - like £80 or something??

Pete

Fuzz 23 April 2006 11:15 PM

uprated ones are cheaper
Two types available, steel and alloy.

10 mins to replace (four bolts) and easy to get at.

Andy

pslewis 24 April 2006 01:25 PM

Thanks Andy

Seems simple if they do go then? I will concern myself no more about it :D

Pete

Fuzz 24 April 2006 06:20 PM

You'll notice them gone when you start to get a rattle. :D

ethanrob 24 April 2006 08:01 PM

I am thinking of replacing my standard ones for some white line jobbies,any issues with a diy fitting,

i.e car falling over and stuff :D

Fuzz 24 April 2006 08:36 PM

Something to drive the wheels up onto like ramps make fitting much easier than jacking the car body up and letting the wheels hang....

Andy

Woody1 24 April 2006 09:37 PM

Just replaced mine with Powerflex ones on friday evening. Given a subtle improvement in handling. Steering feels firmer going round corners. Took about half an hour to change both. Just a case of putting it on ramps.

pslewis 25 April 2006 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Fuzz
You'll notice them gone when you start to get a rattle. :D

That rattle is my Hatch!!! :D

Pete

jestarWRX 25 April 2006 10:13 AM

Hi Pete,

i changed the rear droplinks on my classic WRX without even jacking the car up..

They are the uprated alloy ones from API and fitted no hassle, and made a subtle but noticable difference.

Try to keep the suspension loaded up by having the car sat on its wheels while you tighten the bolts, saves any odd preloading being put into the suspension.

HTH

ozzy 25 April 2006 10:46 AM

Pete,

the bushes will wear over time and unfortunately unlike you, they don't get better with age ;)

If they do need replacing either get some 2nd-hand plastic ones (mine are in the loft and you can have them FOC if you pay the postage) OR some steel uprated ones for £30 a pair. Easy to replace if you can get access to the underside of the car on a full ramp.

Stefan

pslewis 25 April 2006 01:15 PM

Mine haven't gone, just thought I would get myself ready if they are a common MOT failure item ..... and I have access to a full 4-poster lift.

What are the cost of these things?

Cheers eveyone!

Pete

JohnD 25 April 2006 01:30 PM

Make sure the car is raised via the wheels. If they dangle the ARB could be under load and make link removal difficult.
I've changed both drop links and ARB by just sliding under the rear of the car, even though it's got Prodrive springs! (not a lot of room, but I did it!
JohnD

Wurzel 25 April 2006 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Fuzz
Something to drive the wheels up onto like ramps make fitting much easier than jacking the car body up and letting the wheels hang....

Andy

You cannot change them like this, the wheels need to be on the ground and the weight of the car on the suspension in order to change them.

ozzy 25 April 2006 04:12 PM

I told you the costs, are you getting even more senial? ;)

no idea on the plastic originals. Whiteline steel ones are £30-£35 per pair (you need two sets for front & back). Whiteline alloy ones are double those costs, so £120-£140 for both axles.

You'd need to be Arnie to change them with both wheels drooping or even one up, one down.

Fuzz 25 April 2006 06:20 PM

Shut up and read the post properly Wurzel. :razz:

Andy

ozzy 25 April 2006 06:27 PM

He's a Muppet living in Germany, what did you expect :D

pslewis 25 April 2006 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by ozzy
I told you the costs, are you getting even more senial? ;)

no idea on the plastic originals. Whiteline steel ones are £30-£35 per pair (you need two sets for front & back). Whiteline alloy ones are double those costs, so £120-£140 for both axles.

You'd need to be Arnie to change them with both wheels drooping or even one up, one down.

Yeah, ok, but what I was after was the price Subaru want for duplicate standard ones ...... why are patented parts often called uprated parts?? When clearly they are not .... ??

Pete