ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Electric costs!! (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/509613-electric-costs.html)

D.K.1 21 April 2006 05:15 PM

Electric costs!!

I really don't understand this :confused:

I usuall use about £15 a week in my electric meter, bear in mind, there's usually 3 TV's on in the house and 2 DVD players, about 6 lights are used more regularly than the rest and a chest freezer, a fridge freezer, washing machine on at least twice a day and the tumble dryer and microwave, 3 fish tanks and a vivarium....

I left mine 12 days ago and left £22 in the meter, my mum had been going to feed the fish and give fresh water to the snake and by wednesday my electric had run out, so the emergency has been put on, but that's now almost out too :confused:

I don't know how it can use so much when I have not even been there :confused:

Anyone explain?

scoobynutta555 21 April 2006 05:20 PM

Think you have an electricity leak, get an emergengy callout engineer from the yellow pages to explain all :)

kingofturds 21 April 2006 05:22 PM

What is your suppliers rate per kwh?

logiclee 21 April 2006 05:41 PM

What's your base load?

Fridge and freezer on, central heating pump, 3 fishtank pumps, 3 fishtank heaters, snake tank heater and lights.

It all adds up.

Cheers
Lee

D.K.1 21 April 2006 05:44 PM

I have no idea what the costs are, just I usually put between £10 and £15 a week in the meter when I'm there using everything.

2 energy saver lights are left on, 2 snake lamps and heater mat, two tank lights and 3 heaters, 5 filters in the fishtanks, fridge freezer and chest freezer, can't think of anything else I have left on, I even turned the heating off before leaving too :confused:

Can you get electric leaks? :o

scoobynutta555 21 April 2006 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by D.K.1

Hold the front page on Angling Monthly, I've got a whopper here ;)

julian N/W wrx my93 21 April 2006 05:59 PM

Its those plug in toys you use all the time......

Now if you had a real man like me.................

logiclee 21 April 2006 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by D.K.1

Well it's possible but virtually impossible. :)

If you are getting any leakage to earth you should trip your RCD if you have one. You could have a faulty component but realistically you would be blowing fuses either way.

I think you are just under estimating the base load. Big fishtanks are expensive to run.

Cheers
Lee

D.K.1 21 April 2006 07:01 PM

By biggest fish tank is approx 3 foot, then I have a small 2 foot one and a tiny one which I use as a hospital tank.

I know all that isn't cheap to run, but surely it shouldn't be using that amount when I'm not even there, not using microwave, kettle, heating, washing machine, tumble dryer, TV's etc.... :confused:

logiclee 21 April 2006 07:48 PM

You need to find out your price per unit and whatever standing charge they figure in and then work out the amount of watts you are using per hour.

Is your heating gas or electric? The weather hasn't been too bad but if you switch the heating off when going away then the heating elements in the tanks have to work a lot harder to keep up the temperature in the tank.

My 4' tank has two 4' lights (on timer), two 300W heaters, water pump and air pump. The pond outside has two 60W pumps and an ultraviolet light filter. With just the above running, the fridge and freezer plus a few things on standby etc the meter still spins at a fair rate. :(

Cheers
Lee

John Catlin 21 April 2006 08:40 PM

It must be the Dingles tthen !!!!

boomer 21 April 2006 10:25 PM

Why do you have a coin-slot meter??

You seem to use an awful lot of 'leccie, so surely a monthly bill would be cheaper?

mb

*Sonic* 21 April 2006 10:30 PM

she hasn't got a coin slot meter, it's a card meter, monthly bill wasn't an option when she moved in there :)