ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   England's Footie anthem - Oh Dear! (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/509488-englands-footie-anthem-oh-dear.html)

The Zohan 21 April 2006 09:15 AM

England's Footie anthem - Oh Dear!

Now i for one want England to do well, in fact i want them to win beating Germany 10-1 in the final and have the Battle of Britian Memorial Flight do a flypast over the stadium just as the final whistle is blown;)

I heard the new anthem (i use the term loosely in this case) by Embrace - as an anthem it is pants, not uplifitng or motivational, not memorable or interesting a durge is best to discribe.

No mention of England!

Damn shame and hardly a 'three lions' beater!

suprabeast 21 April 2006 09:17 AM

people will chant what they want during the games... muppets can come up with rubbish new tunes all they like. no one will follow them!

Account deleted by request 21 April 2006 09:18 AM

Like embrace, its a good song, but definately NOT a football anthem.

chop

The Zohan 21 April 2006 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by chopper.
Like embrace, its a good song, but definately NOT a football anthem.

chop

agreed Chop!

An anthem should make the hairs stand up on ya neck and give you that warm feeling

Suresh 21 April 2006 09:25 AM

Jules Rimmet still gleaming

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood

An anthem should make the hairs stand up on ya neck and give you that warm feeling

Couldn't agree more. I was at the England Vs Scotland game at Wembley during Euro 96 when the 70,000 or so crowd starting spontaneously singing 3 lions. :thumb: That was and is a brilliant anthem - I dusted off the CD single last week and it still has the same effect 10 years later. :)

Suresh

The Zohan 21 April 2006 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Suresh
Couldn't agree more. I was at the England Vs Scotland game at Wembley during Euro 96 when the 70,000 or so crowd starting spontaneously singing 3 lions. :thumb: That was and is a brilliant anthem - I dusted off the CD single last week and it still has the same effect 10 years later. :)

Suresh

Hi Suresh
That is exactly what i mean:), i am sure 'Three Lions' will be re-released for this world cup or at least i hope so

Mungo 21 April 2006 09:34 AM

Virgin Radio has organised a rival anthem - it's a re-hash of Sham69's "We're going down the pub" with the words "We're gonna win the cup". Should be quite good, and certainly more passionate than Embrace.

The Zohan 21 April 2006 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Mungo
Virgin Radio has organised a rival anthem - it's a re-hash of Sham69's "We're going down the pub" with the words "We're gonna win the cup". Should be quite good, and certainly more passionate than Embrace.

Cool! - and a better option - more of an anthem imho

Account deleted by request 21 April 2006 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood

Spot on mate

chop

flat4 21 April 2006 09:48 AM

it's a bit slow, but i like it :thumb:

rik1471 21 April 2006 10:16 AM

It's a great tune. It'll grow on yer.

Wurzel 21 April 2006 10:19 AM

so where can us not living in Britain hear it? any one have it as mp3 they can mail me????

Neanderthal 21 April 2006 10:26 AM

They played it on Chris Moyles show on Radio 1. Might be on their podcast?

STi wanna Subaru 21 April 2006 10:37 AM

Embrace are turd and the lead singer cant sing to save his life. I'm sure it is rubbish.

the anthem should be a song any pi55ed up idiot can sing (me) along with everybody else in the pub before going home and kicking the girlfriend in the guts because we lost (joke)

Mungo 21 April 2006 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
the anthem should be a song any pi55ed up idiot can sing (me) along with everybody else in the pub

I think the Sham effort fulfils that criteria!

Brendan Hughes 21 April 2006 12:05 PM

Isn't it supposed to be sung in German, anyway?

legb4rsk 21 April 2006 01:19 PM

Oh,it's the England song.Sorry I thought it was Belgiums entry for the Eurovision song contest from 15 years ago.
Utter drivel!

The Zohan 21 April 2006 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
Isn't it supposed to be sung in German, anyway?

I could well have been anyway, it was a bit indestict - ori may need just to adjust my ear trumpet to get the full effect.;)