ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Oh dear, another tunnel disaster (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/50898-oh-dear-another-tunnel-disaster.html)

EvilBevel 24 October 2001 03:50 PM

Gotthard tunnel this time, doesn't look good :(

Details on www.bbc.co.uk.

Theo

dowser 25 October 2001 07:39 AM

:(

dowser 25 October 2001 07:51 AM

:(

Luke 25 October 2001 08:21 AM

No central barrier. Well done designers.............Muppets

swiss scooby 25 October 2001 09:44 AM

Luke,
I agree with you, but when they built this tunnel, they expected a traffic frequency of about 200'000 vehicules per year and nowadays it is around 2'000'000!!! If you drive through the tunnel (17 km ~ 11 miles), you are doing OK for the first 10 km but after that, the pollution is really bad. You definitely have to turn off your heating system!! The view is also really dangerous (almost like fog). It was just a matter of time until this would happend. Thank you government (left wingers) for being against an additional tube!! Hopefully this tragedy will open their eyes!! Now, all the traffic has to be diverted over the mountain pass (Trucks, cars, caravans, motorbikes, rollerbladers) is this really better??
Ok, tick that of, what's the next tragedy??

EvilBevel 25 October 2001 10:47 AM

Swiss, that would be the San Bernardino <sp?> ? Since most of the traffic will be routed that way...

I've only done the Gottardo about 8 times, but it scared the hell outta me ... not entirely paranoia then :(

AlexM 25 October 2001 12:42 PM

I really can't understand why there isn't a decent fire supression system installed in these road tunnels?

A water deluge system would prevent catestrophic fires taking hold, and is only a matter of running a couple of pipes down the roof FFS!.

It's really very sad that this was foreseen by many locals, but no action was taken.

Alex

AlexM 25 October 2001 12:56 PM

I really can't understand why there isn't a decent fire supression system installed in these road tunnels?

A water deluge system would prevent catestrophic fires taking hold, and is only a matter of running a couple of pipes down the roof FFS!.

It's really very sad that this was foreseen by many locals, but no action was taken.

Alex

InvisibleMan 25 October 2001 01:34 PM

Swiss, is the Gotthard tunnel the 2nd longest in Europe, the other being in ...? Its just that i think i went thru there last month but couldnt remember the name. This is quite a new tunnel isnt it?

InvisibleMan 25 October 2001 01:39 PM

Swiss, is the Gotthard tunnel the 2nd longest in Europe, the other being in ...? Its just that i think i went thru there last month but couldnt remember the name. This is quite a new tunnel isnt it?

AlexM 25 October 2001 01:59 PM

Alex