ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   NO CAT TO PASS (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/507605-no-cat-to-pass.html)

powerwrx 13 April 2006 10:23 PM

NO CAT TO PASS

JUST BEEN READING A POST IN THE CARS FOR SALE AND NOTICED THIS SENTENCE

( Its got MOT until August 2006 (doesn’t need cats to pass due to model year!)

IM JUST WONDERING IF THIS IS TRUE,THE CAR IS A MY93 IMPORT. ANY THOUGHTS:wonder:

thedeester1 13 April 2006 10:32 PM

mine has no cat its 95. Maybe someone could post when the CAT was needed for the MOT. Think its around 1999 but im not sure!

rossi_classicwrx 13 April 2006 10:35 PM

i think its 1992 or 1993. I have a classic and its an L reg (so early!!) and the mot station said its right on the border on the emissions tests. I didn;t actually have it mot'd i was just enquiring and they said they would have to find out.. They said if it was a k reg it would be no problem though!

powerwrx 13 April 2006 10:39 PM

Thats interesting ,i thought all cars had to have one, saying that, older cars never had them did they. Mines a 94 so do you think it needs to have one?

kingofturds 13 April 2006 10:43 PM

I thought it was any car after 92 or a k plate

RON 13 April 2006 10:49 PM

If i recall correctly it's jan 1st 1992 for uk cars....... but imports are a different story...;)

Leg@cy 13 April 2006 10:55 PM

i've been told a similar thing.... and car that is '92 K plate onwards........

[Davey] 13 April 2006 11:14 PM

Cars after March 31st 1992 were required to be fitted with CAT's

There is no requirement for its fitment for the MOT, your car simply must meet the required emissions.. In most cases this is impossible without the CAT.

carpetman 13 April 2006 11:16 PM

Mine's a my93wrx and when i took it for it's MOT i spoke to the tester and told him i decat'd it,he said not to worry as it still passed because that was the year they came in so some 93's have them some don't.

RON 13 April 2006 11:16 PM

I knew it was early 92 sometime.... way back then i was well into Mini's... i never di have one with a cat though.... what a way to kill performance....

silent running 14 April 2006 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by [Davey]
Cars after March 31st 1992 were required to be fitted with CAT's

There is no requirement for its fitment for the MOT, your car simply must meet the required emissions.. In most cases this is impossible without the CAT.

Exactly so.

ZAZ 14 April 2006 12:17 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think that with imported cars they should test them to the specifications of a UK equivalent. As the Impreza didn't go on sale until 95 in the UK any imports older than that get tested against a default non cat specification as there was no UK equivalent at the time. I have a 95WRX and the MOT tester tested it as a non cat car!
UK cars in general need CATs by law if newer than 93, they also have to pass a level of emissions that they wouldn't be able to pass without a CAT anyway!

Crossland1979 14 April 2006 01:05 PM

You do need a cat to pass an mot my impreza is an L reg import and i had the mot last month and they put one on for me just to pass it and said i would have to buy one by law for next year.

Options r so they said was to buy one for all year round use or one that just comes off and on for mot hope it helps

scooby-tc 14 April 2006 01:08 PM

My MY98 STi passes MOT with no cats ;) emmisions are very good indeed,work that one out

[Davey] 14 April 2006 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by scooby-tc
My MY98 STi passes MOT with no cats ;) emmisions are very good indeed,work that one out

There are ways and means around the test.. One way is to simply test another car.. Test centers will be forced to make photo or video evidence soon so its going to get even more difficult.

Its also possible to loosen off the front section of the exhaust to allow air to be drawn into the system which brings the emission levels right down, but if you have high particulate emissions this doesnt tend to help.

powercrazed 14 April 2006 01:40 PM

My car is a 94wrx and has always passed the mot test without the cat due to a technicality with the year of car not being listed (as said somewhere above) Will be getting mine checked in a few weeks so will find out then.

Nathan

jaytc2003 14 April 2006 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by ZAZ
UK cars in general need CATs by law if newer than 93, they also have to pass a level of emissions that they wouldn't be able to pass without a CAT anyway!

not true, they need to meet sticter emmisions and the use of a cat makes it easier for the manufacturer to achieve this

ZAZ 14 April 2006 02:16 PM

Just found that out, cars need them fitted when built but not specifically for the MOT test although the only easy way to get past the cat emissions tests is to have one fitted! :-)

If you have an import older than 31st July 1995 I'd recommend using a MOT station that is used to dealing with modified and imported cars as they are more likely to know the law regarding these sorts of cars. A high street tester will need some convincing and some people have even had to get the tester to phone the VOSA before they would believe them. Check out this flow chart on the VOSA website that testers should follow:
http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/publicat...01992-2002.pdf