ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   How healthy is Alpen? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/507440-how-healthy-is-alpen.html)

D.K.1 13 April 2006 01:25 PM

How healthy is Alpen?

Decided since new year to have a healthier diet, starting with Alpen for breakfast, but not quite sure if I should be eating something else that's just as filling but less sugar and so on.

I want to lose a bit of weight, but want to do it properly.

Andrew Dixon 13 April 2006 01:30 PM

I think there are are both sugar and sugar-free versions of Alpen. I usually just go for a cheaper brand of unsweetened muesli and add some extra raisins or honey or something. Obviously I eat that before the full-English fry-up ... ;-)

chris singleton 13 April 2006 01:30 PM

They do a low sugar/fat one but it tastes like pish :D

If you want to lose weight, do some excercise, eating a bowl of alpen wont do much ;)

D.K.1 13 April 2006 01:32 PM

I get as much excercise as I can :p

Not been able to walk much recently though as I was in an RTA and injured my back.

I have changed my whole diet, not just what I eat for breakfast

sti-04!! 13 April 2006 01:32 PM

I have a bowl of Special K every morning. Does the job nicely :D

Though i still cant fit into those red shorts :norty:

King RA 13 April 2006 01:33 PM

normal alpen is absolutely crammed with sugar, you can easily taste it compared to 'healthy' museli.

D.K.1 13 April 2006 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by sti-04!!
I have a bowl of Special K every morning. Does the job nicely :D

Though i still cant fit into those red shorts :norty:

LOL, I was on special K for months but I didn't find it filling and ended up eating mahoosive bowls of it :o so that didn't do the job :p

Museli I may try :)

sti-04!! 13 April 2006 01:36 PM

:p

AudiLover 13 April 2006 01:36 PM

Normal cornflakes would help you lose weight. Although it could get boring. The low sugar type is best to loose weight. Special K is good too.

D.K.1 13 April 2006 01:50 PM

I have had cornflakes, but like sugar on them, so I got a low calorie aspartame based sweetener but I don't know if there are other health issues linked with things like that.

For lunc I typically have 4 ryveta with a scrape of flora light or 6 rice cakes, again with a scrape of flora light, or two slices of wholemeal bread with low fat cheese :D Tasty :D And try to drink more water too :D:D:D

lightning101 13 April 2006 01:52 PM

They are all complex carbohydrates - you need to be running 5 miles a day or an hour in the gym to burn off one bowl :lol1:

Goodness doesn't equal losing weight :nono:

You lot will never get under 32" at this rate :)

lightning101 13 April 2006 01:55 PM

2-3 poached eggs and some pure bran mixed in with water is what you need :thumb:

D.K.1 13 April 2006 01:59 PM

does one jacket potato with cttage cheese come under that cattegory too then? :confused:

I want to eat tasty things so I can enjoy a healthier diet, I can't eat fish because it makes me ill :(

I have got a few various go ahead snacks in the cupboard too :D

I'm between a 10 and 12 dress size :o :(

lightning101 13 April 2006 02:06 PM

Jacket potato is mega carbs as well, you are needing to exchange your carbs for proteins.

Eggs, meats, fish.

Green salad and salad vegetables, stay away from sugar based sauces and "low fat" mayonaise and spreads.

:)

D.K.1 13 April 2006 02:10 PM

I realised that when I was eating waffles with cheese and worcester sauce :eek:

I like broccoli, cauliflower, carrots and cabbage, it's what I normally put on my sunday roasts which is usually chicken or lamb :D

fast bloke 13 April 2006 02:30 PM

plate of chips for brekkie - that is veggies cooked in veg oil - covers two of your 5 daily portions :D

D.K.1 13 April 2006 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by sti-04!!
:D

Though i still cant fit into those red latex shorts :norty:

The only gay in the scoobynet village are you? :D :p

Tiggs 13 April 2006 05:24 PM

nothing wrong with alpen in the am. yes its a complex carb but so what? a bowl will have about 150 cal at most (plus milk)....a half hour jog will deal with twice that...and that doesnt include the cal consumption you need just to tick over.

as long as you watch your carbs and avoid lots at night you dont need to go drastic on their reduction.

paulr 13 April 2006 07:33 PM

I eat the Alpen that has "no added sugar" but does it vontain a lot of sugar naturally?

lightning101 13 April 2006 07:36 PM

My answer is based on the fact that she was in an RTA, has a bad back and can't exercise, therefore need to limit the carbs (good or bad) :)

D.K.1 13 April 2006 07:36 PM

I would have thought so because of the raisins etc, it is very sweet.

I just wanted to give my body a healthier balance of food, looks like I'm still probably eating all the wrong things though :(

JamieMacdonald 13 April 2006 07:38 PM

If I wanted to lose weight I'd just not eat breakfast or lunch - surely the pounds would just drop off?

Never understood all these complex diets, unless you're actually training for sport or bodybuilding :confused:

*Sonic* 13 April 2006 07:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Lightening101's diet speaks for itself :D

Attachment 49231

lightning101 13 April 2006 07:39 PM

If you don't eat, the body thinks you are starving it so it retains a fat store from your next meals :nono:

D.K.1 13 April 2006 07:40 PM

:eek: :lol1:

J4CKO 13 April 2006 08:10 PM

Porridge, eat that for Brekkie and you can not feel hungry for ages, Soup is your friend as most have limited calories but are very filling, just keep and eye on the salt content.

D.K.1 13 April 2006 08:13 PM

I have got a few boxes of slim a soup but they contain very few caloris and I was wandering if I wasn't getting enough :)

Luan Pra bang 13 April 2006 08:25 PM

eat a fruit salad for breakfast.

*Sonic* 13 April 2006 08:29 PM

Now I am the opposite, I eat shedloads (admittedly all the cr@p food possible mostly) and I cant put weight on, and I need to really, still a stone down :(

Nothing has changed from my original thread about trying to gain weight either

D.K.1 13 April 2006 08:32 PM

Yeah, but you're just a runt LOL :p:p:p