ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Impreza crank (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/507377-impreza-crank.html)

banny sti 13 April 2006 01:50 AM

Impreza crank

Is it possible to fit a v9 nitrided crank into a phase 1.5 block? And is there any benefit in using this crank compared to the original v3 crank, if used in conjunction with wiseco pistons and eagle rods?

banny

Tim W 13 April 2006 07:43 AM

Yes it is possible, but the block would need machining to take the repositioned centre thrust bearing. The V9 on Sti crank has additional oilways for the main bearings which help if you plan to run at high load and high revs (ie on an engine running with 2bar boost say at 8000rpm)

I'm considering the same thing for a high reving engine...but there is no way I'd be using eagle rods...I'd prefer a set of standard ones over them personally ;)

If you want the work doing speak to Lateral or Zen, both can arrange it for you

dazdavies 13 April 2006 10:40 AM

Tim could you justify and clarify your statement regarding eagle rods.

Cheers

Daz

Tim W 14 April 2006 12:36 AM

I don't personally think that Eagle rods are any better than the current stock Subaru rod. By that I mean in terms of material and design. There are better made rods out there, I have been deeply unimpressed by the Eagle rods that I have seen for various engines of Japanese origin.

dazdavies 14 April 2006 11:16 AM

So you just don't like the look of them then? It's not based on any technical evidence or known failures?
Not being funny mate its just that I have a set of these. They have done circa 30,000 miles at approx 360bhp and they have been fine. Just built a short motor for what's going to be a 450bhp+ car using these rods and I need to know that they are upto the job. If your statment is just by looks then I can live with that. Would be glad to hear any more technical stuff to support your theory.

Cheers Mate

Daz

banny sti 14 April 2006 11:20 AM

Agreed Daz, would like more information as i do not want to be put off buying the rods purely on the basis of looks. Who makes the o.e rods? and are you referring to classic or new age rods Tim?

banny

ZEN Performance 14 April 2006 11:32 AM

Some phase 1.5 blocks are end thrust, so you may find it drops right in. I personally don't have a problem with eagle rods, I think the main problem with them is they are "too cheap" and perceived as low quality.

banny sti 14 April 2006 11:45 AM

Hi Paul

Quick question for yourself, if i was to carry out a rebuild from yourself using wiseco pistons, v9 crank, eagle rods, uprated oil pump, big end bearings and main bearings from your site and arp bolts.
How much would i be looking?

cheers
banny

dazdavies 14 April 2006 12:27 PM

Here's a pic of one of my eagle rods that I am currently using in my rebuild (see my thread in projects section) . They, for want of a better word, piss all over OE rods. Draw you own conclusions. They also come with ARP rod bolts they may be cheap but you can tell by looking at them that they are a far, far better rod than the OE ones.

http://www.scoob.co.uk/rebuild/eaglerods.jpg

Tim W 15 April 2006 12:26 AM

The last set of Eagles' I looked at were going into a Honda 2.2 Vtec, the little end bearings were all a different size, and the finish on them was shocking. Then I read an intersting article from an Australian magazine compairing the various yield strengths of stock and aftermarket rods...the Eagles failed before the stock rod! Unfortunately I've been unable to find this article again :rolleyes:

The Fixer 15 April 2006 05:29 PM

I know of someone running Eagle rods in a 10,000 rpm, 650 WHP, 2.1 VTEC Turbo with no issues to date ;)

dazdavies 15 April 2006 07:10 PM

Thats good enough for me mate !!

Thanks for that:D

R19KET 15 April 2006 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Conrad_Bradley
We are running Eagle rods in a 10,000 rpm, 650 WHP, 2.1 VTEC Turbo with no issues to date ;)

Conrad

Yes Conrad, and when you've run it at 10,000rpm, and 650whp, we'll see how long it stays together :p ;)

Is it still snapping drive shafts at about 4000rpm ? :eek:

Mark.

ZEN Performance 15 April 2006 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Tim W
The last set of Eagles' I looked at were going into a Honda 2.2 Vtec, the little end bearings were all a different size, and the finish on them was shocking. Then I read an intersting article from an Australian magazine compairing the various yield strengths of stock and aftermarket rods...the Eagles failed before the stock rod! Unfortunately I've been unable to find this article again :rolleyes:

That article is highly flawed, the "highest scoring" rod in that test would have been one made of rubber, even a toffee rod would have done better. Don't confuse ductility with strength.

paul

R19KET 15 April 2006 10:04 PM

How about chocolate rods for Easter :D

Mark.

banny sti 15 April 2006 10:05 PM

And a glass crank

fujack103 16 April 2006 12:23 AM

I've also just rebuild a engine using eagle rods and i cant see what your on about when it comes to the finishing as mine looks floorless all my gugin pins fitted perfectly and as for the strength i think thier not as strong but lighter it depend on how far they took them in the test i would of thought.