ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   What Is This Country Coming Too?? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/506918-what-is-this-country-coming-too.html)

Scooby Snacks 23 11 April 2006 04:30 PM

What Is This Country Coming Too??

I tend to shy away from the threads which cover politics but I've just heard the most ludricrous story at work today (although I shouldn't think it's new to Scoobynet!).

They want to remove the Cross from Hot Cross Buns because it causes offence to other religions :mad:

WTF is happening to this country - is it just me, or are we as a nation a fecking laughing stock?????

This has prompted a discussion at work and someone's just mentioned they're trying to outlaw 'Piggy Banks' cos it offends those who don't eat meat (presumably veggies as well as the Jews?).

I remember my half brothers (now in early 20's) growing up with Bah Bah White Sheep, and using a chalkboard instead of a blackboard.

Presumably, I'm not alone in thinking our government spends too much time (and money) looking after the 'minorities'??

watto52 11 April 2006 04:33 PM

this is starting to take the pi55 now. whaet we gonna have to change next? unbeleivable:cuckoo:

OllyK 11 April 2006 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks 23
They want to remove the Cross from Hot Cross Buns because it causes offence to other religions :mad:

Do you have any links or anything? I'm sure I heard this before and it turned out to be more of an urban legend than a reality. Things could have changed of course.

OllyK 11 April 2006 04:37 PM

Here we go
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...16/nbuns16.xml
Bloody Tower Hamlets again. The "minorities" must be getting pi$$ed off that they are being portrayed as a bunch of whingers and yet it's the bloody do-gooders thinking people may get offended when they won't.

Spoon 11 April 2006 04:46 PM

Most Americans will think we are referring to nice arsés now. :thumb:

Tiggs 11 April 2006 04:48 PM

all thats needed to get these stories going:

1 X PC idiot

1000 X anti PC idiots that then tell the world how the whole UK is too PC

As the UK has more than 1 PC idiot and SN has plenty of the rest its fair to say these stories will continue.

brumdaisy 11 April 2006 04:51 PM

I tend to shy away from the threads which cover politics but I've just heard the most ludricrous story at work today (although I shouldn't think it's new to Scoobynet!).

WTF is happening to this country - is it just me, or are we as a nation a fecking laughing stock?????

This has prompted a discussion at work and someone's just mentioned they're trying to outlaw 'Piggy Banks' cos it offends those who don't eat meat (presumably veggies as well as the Jews?).

I remember my half brothers (now in early 20's) growing up with Bah Bah White Sheep, and using a chalkboard instead of a blackboard.

Presumably, I'm not alone in thinking our government spends too much time (and money) looking after the 'minorities'??

:lol:

Spoon 11 April 2006 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Tiggs
all thats needed to get these stories going:

1 X PC idiot

1000 X anti PC idiots that then tell the world how the whole UK is too PC

As the UK has more than 1 PC idiot and SN has plenty of the rest its fair to say these stories will continue.

Are your figures carefully researched, or just Tiggsworth? :D

Martin_Aimless 11 April 2006 04:54 PM

Nothing to do with 'this country' but everything to do with New Labour -

A spokesman for the Labour-run council claimed that there had been "a lot" of complaints but did not have a figure.

Other councils not serving hot cross buns include York, where Labour is the largest group, and Wolverhampton, which is Labour-run. Officials in Wakefield, which is also controlled by Labour, have decided it would be more appropriate to tailor the Easter menu to information technology. :eek:
Barking mad. :cuckoo:

KiwiGTI 11 April 2006 04:59 PM

The spokesman added: "We are moving away from a religious theme for Easter and will not be doing hot cross buns. We can't risk a similar outcry over Easter like the kind we had on Pancake Day. We will probably be serving naan breads instead."
:rolleyes:

New_scooby_04 11 April 2006 05:02 PM

I agree, "hot cross buns" have to go!!

"Bakery product featuring saltanas and a sweet flavour, decorated with a vertical line intersected at the mid point by a horizontal line" is much more catchy!!! ;) :D

The Zohan 11 April 2006 05:02 PM

Best stock up on Easter eggs before they are banned, could be a black market for them

I can just see it now
<dark alley>
"i'll take a wrap of the white stuff and have you got any more cream eggs?";)

comic cuts 11 April 2006 05:08 PM

[quote=Paul Habgood]Best stock up on Easter eggs before they are banned, could be a black market for them

Surely not PC Paul?

Makes you sound like a copper but has a certain ring to it. Sergeant Paul. Not so good.

CC

PS :D

watto52 11 April 2006 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
I agree, "hot cross buns" have to go!!

"Bakery product featuring saltanas and a spicy flavour, decorated with a vertical line intersected at the mid point by a horizontal line" is much more catchy!!! ;) :D

spicy flavour?

Warwick-hunt 11 April 2006 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
Best stock up on Easter eggs before they are banned, could be a black market for them

I can just see it now
<dark alley>
"i'll take a wrap of the white stuff and have you got any more cream eggs?";)

er, that'll be grey market or white market, feck it lets just totally offend and call it g*lly w*g market

warwick the honky :)

watto52 11 April 2006 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Warwick-hunt
er, that'll be grey market or white market, feck it lets just totally offend and call it g*lly w*g market

warwick the honky :)

pmsl:lol:

valley commando 11 April 2006 05:34 PM

they're be changing the word black before long

New_scooby_04 11 April 2006 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by watto52
spicy flavour?

Amended! :lol1:

ns04

watto52 11 April 2006 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Amended! :lol1:

ns04

:brickwall shouldve known

Leslie 12 April 2006 12:03 PM

Are you saying that you are neither PC nor an idiot Tiggs?

Les

lightning101 12 April 2006 12:16 PM

That was 2003 :confused: - "The upcoming war in iraq"

So they are saying that christianity is offensive :(

"The tradition dates back to pagan times when the cross represented the moon and its four quarters. It was claimed for the Christian church in 1361 when Father Thomas Rockcliffe distributed the buns to the poor of St Albans."

lightning101 12 April 2006 12:19 PM

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/htmlConte.../ntesco21.html

Hot star of david buns ^^ :lol1:

Julz 12 April 2006 12:20 PM

I cant belive i am reading this what is this all comming too :cuckoo: So next Easter and Christmas will be banned altogether :mad:

OllyK 12 April 2006 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Julz
I cant belive i am reading this what is this all comming too :cuckoo: So next Easter and Christmas will be banned altogether :mad:

Banning all religious festivals sounds like progress to me :thumb:

lightning101 12 April 2006 12:22 PM

None of the claimees are ever named though :)

I'd like to see one of these 'muslim leaders' get on the news and explain to us all why he finds a hot cross bun offensive :lol1:

I think that in reality the selective anti-labour media are to blame in this instance.

OllyK 12 April 2006 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by lightning101
None of the claimees are ever named though :)

I'd like to see one of these 'muslim leaders' get on the news and explain to us all why he finds a hot cross bun offensive :lol1:

No muslims, jews or hindus are complaining, nor do I think they would. It's the PC elements within the councils that think non-christians should be offended and so want to ban it to avoid possible offence from occuring. The trouble is it portrays other religions as whingers, when they have said nothing. Most people can't believe that a council would ban something when nobody has complained about it, or is likely to. Time to bring a charge of inciting racial hatred against these councils - hoist them with their own petard!

lightning101 12 April 2006 12:45 PM

Yes I realise that the muslims haven't said anything, hence my name and shame comment, but your idea is a classic :lol1:

The Zohan 12 April 2006 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by OllyK
No muslims, jews or hindus are complaining, nor do I think they would. It's the PC elements within the councils that think non-christians should be offended and so want to ban it to avoid possible offence from occuring. The trouble is it portrays other religions as whingers, when they have said nothing. Most people can't believe that a council would ban something when nobody has complained about it, or is likely to. Time to bring a charge of inciting racial hatred against these councils - hoist them with their own petard!

I think that is the point, it is some PC idiots who THINK it may be offensive and want it stopped, the irony is that all they have done is stir up bad feeling and resentment againt the people they THINK want no NEED their interferrence - stupid feckers should find something worthwhile to do.

Once thay have made the mess the rest of us have to live with it!

D.K.1 12 April 2006 12:49 PM

I heard about this a few weeks back and thought it was a joke....aparrantly not it seems!! :eek:

As far as the sheep song goes, my daughter sings baa baa rainbow sheep :o

The Zohan 12 April 2006 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by valley commando
they're be changing the word black before long

My daughter's nursery have taught her Ba Ba white sheep - what is the point of that, perhaps i should feel offended?!?