ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Anyone tried to sell a mobile on e-bay? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/506295-anyone-tried-to-sell-a-mobile-on-e-bay.html)

jimi 08 April 2006 11:59 PM

Anyone tried to sell a mobile on e-bay?

This is the second time i have sold my old mobile on e-bay,and guess what a con man has tried to buy it...........

Dear seller,
I am glad to be the winning bidder of your phone,it was a tough bid,l was just lucky to have won it,the last few minutes was difficult when about six buyers was determined to buy your phone,l just have to stick with it,as l have seen the advertisement for it all around and lm impressed by the features. I came on to ebay purposely for a present for my son.
I want you to understand that i'm currently in conference in India.. I wonder if you could be so kind as to help me ship this item to my son.It's his birthday and this is his birthday gift.
i'm prepared to cover p&p.i'll pay through paypal add GBP 20 for shipping to my son where is on an assigmnet for the british Consulate in Nigeria, West Africa via Royalmail first class mail signfor.
Thank you,
Adeniyi Adeyemi
No Akinlolu Avenue
Ring Road
Ibadan
Oyo state
Nigeria

brumdaisy 09 April 2006 12:04 AM

hey he's prepared to give u an extra 20 quid, where's the con? :Suspiciou

some people r soooo ungrateful :lol1:

Enigma 09 April 2006 12:06 AM

offer a 2nd chance option to the next highest bidder

Bravo2zero_sps 09 April 2006 12:12 AM

Send him something rather unpleasant in the post instead ;)

bob r 09 April 2006 12:14 AM

i will guarantee that this alleged buyer will not be paying/buying the phone.
it is very common on ebay for other sellers in direct competition with you to regularly set up false accounts in order that they buy all/other mobiles to keep the genuine buyers available to buy what they are selling.:mad:

Dream Weaver 09 April 2006 12:44 AM

Its so annoying - i'm trying to buy a mobile, and keep getting beaten by these scammers who put in silly bids. :mad:

wannascoobydoo 09 April 2006 12:53 AM

Ebay is full ov knob heads like them now m8

jimi 09 April 2006 01:58 AM

This is the second time this has happened and to say that i am annoyed would be an under statement....

JIM

cookstar 09 April 2006 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by **************
Send him something rather unpleasant in the post instead ;)

Good idea, a rotting sheeps head would do the trick :thumb:

jonnyrex 09 April 2006 08:35 AM

I got this trying to sell a phone..(I never replyed)..............................Hey Seller, Good day to you,I saw your items displayed on this site which
fascinated my imagination just like the same thing that my son who has just
graduated and ready to begin with his own life had asked me to buy for
him.I will like to know if you can ship this items to Africa ,but I really
want this items to get to him before his birthday that's coming up in 2
weeks time.I will be making the payment through POSTAL ORDER coz I have an account with them simply because and for their newly introduced measure of security for both buyers and sellers.I will need ur name,address and phone
number and the actual amount you want to sell this item in order to make the payment as soon as possible.Thanks

dangerous100 09 April 2006 09:21 AM

Hi mate i am sorry to say but all people that do this are scammers!
I have recently sold a nokia 6111 & had no trouble at all but i have had people like this on other things i have sold.
I would send him a reply stating that you don't sell or post over seas uk only & that you are going to relist the item & leave him a neg feedback.

Tiggs 09 April 2006 10:36 AM

having built up a decent feedback history on ebay i ONLY sell on their via direct purchase and end all aauctions early.

works a treat, i just put up a big WARNING THIS AUCTION WILL END EARLY SO SEND BIDS DIRECT notice. sold a few mobiles like that which are prime tagets for scammers.

The Zohan 09 April 2006 02:02 PM

Even though i put a waring about scamming in my ad i strill had this knobber chance his arm

I do wonder if there is any other industry in Nigeria other than trying to scam stuff off of Ebay!

Q:
hello my name is tom richard i base in india i will like to buy your item and i want you to post the item to nigeria for a friend of my pastor of a church in nigeria on his birthday.kindly let me know the shipping cost via royal mail to nigeria and the item total cost and i will make payment available via paypal asap. here is the shipping address; Gbenga olanrewaju 11 odeku close surulere,lagos 23401,nigeria. hope to hear from you soon

To which i replied
A: Oh Dear - Cost of shipping is £ 1,1000.00 UKP, please pay this via Paypal today! Do you think I am stupid, do not insult my intelligence with your poor lies! Have you actually read the ad? Specifically the bit where I state do not bother trying to scam me, I know them all! This is not even a good attempt! Do not bid or reply as I will not reply, if you do big I will cancel your bid and report you, you fool!

SD 09 April 2006 02:15 PM

I've setup on e-bay to only accept bids from locations I'll ship to - in my case the UK... Surely this is the simplest way isn't it?

Simon

sspaully 09 April 2006 04:29 PM

I had my account taken over by them, people fell for the scam becuse of my positive feedback now my accounts canceled and I can't set another up another one. Why does't ebay do somthing about it, the scams are so obvious!

Apparition 09 April 2006 04:40 PM

Same story here as the leading thread.)..... gave up in the end ...blasted timewasters.
Yve

bettyboo 09 April 2006 04:51 PM

Either send out a second chance offer, or report them as a NPB (only after 7 days can you do this). You will get your fees back and can then relist.

When you relist, use the buyer preferences and block bidders from other countries.

jimi 09 April 2006 11:35 PM

I have just sold the phone to the 2nd bidder and she has paid for it.

Does anyone know i can stop all over seas buyers from bidding on my items?

JIM

OllyK 10 April 2006 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by jimi
I have just sold the phone to the 2nd bidder and she has paid for it.

Does anyone know i can stop all over seas buyers from bidding on my items?

JIM

As others have mentioned above, one of the aution settings is to define where you post to, and then you can limit buyers to those that are registered in the appropriate countries. Also look at getting Turbo Lister, freebie ap from EBay that is rather handy!

jimi 10 April 2006 07:24 PM

my selling listings says that i will only post to the uk.

I will state that i will end the auction early so i wontt get conned buy over seas people.

JIM