ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   MOT with dodgy clutch (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/506108-mot-with-dodgy-clutch.html)

SWPT 08 April 2006 12:34 PM

MOT with dodgy clutch

Am due to get my MY99 UK Scoob MOT'd in a couple of weeks and have recently started getting clutch slip in 4th and 5th.

Won't really have time to get it replaced before the MOT so my question is will the car pass with a clutch in this condition?

scooby dancer 08 April 2006 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by SWPT
Am due to get my MY99 UK Scoob MOT'd in a couple of weeks and have recently started getting clutch slip in 4th and 5th.

Won't really have time to get it replaced before the MOT so my question is will the car pass with a clutch in this condition?

Depends on how brake test is done as being AWD car may need to be driven if it slips on test will depend on tester?? When you do change clutch remember to replace spiggot bearing in flywheel as this is often overlooked !!!!

SWPT 09 April 2006 11:26 AM

Thanks for the reply scooby dancer - anyone else?

thedeester1 09 April 2006 12:40 PM

As far as i am aware the clutch shouldnt affect the MOT. The MOT is for safety stuff only. Im not sure about what was said about the brake test though i suppose there is a point there. If the clutch is only slipping slightly though and the car stops from 50MPH then it should be OK. there used to be a section on the MOT for general road worthness. It could fail that cause its at risk of becoming an obsticle ie stopped in the middle of the road.

[Davey] 09 April 2006 12:56 PM

Clutch wont cause a problem, the brakes are tested on motorised rollers... There is no need to drive the car other than manovering it onto the ramps and rollers.

320bhp 09 April 2006 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by [Davey]
Clutch wont cause a problem, the brakes are tested on motorised rollers... There is no need to drive the car other than manovering it onto the ramps and rollers.

Scoobys are brake tested with a decelorometer, due to being 4 wheel drive, a slipping clutch will make no differance to this.

[Davey] 09 April 2006 02:53 PM

True! Slidey brake tester...

Totally over looked the AWD ;)

scooby dancer 09 April 2006 07:49 PM

the slipping clutch will not affect the brake test i ment when car is driven if it slips mot tester may be reluctant to pass the car!!!!

thedeester1 09 April 2006 07:52 PM

Depends on the tester to be honest M8. Like i said there was/is a section for the tester to fill in for "general road worthyness". Some might fail it on this for a cracked bumper, others not. Get it tested and see is the best i can say.

360ste 09 April 2006 08:08 PM

When you get there tell them that the clutch does slip and that you have got it booked in for replacement later in the week.