ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Heat shield rattle (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/505656-heat-shield-rattle.html)

Woodcote 06 April 2006 04:40 PM

Heat shield rattle

i've got a rattle and i've been told its the heat shield :wonder:
which i think covers the turbo. Looking into the engine bay its the metal bit to the left of the IC - sorry its not very technical.
Apparently this gets cut/modified when PPP is added and does not go back on quite right
... anyway ... can it be replaced/ removed ... something to stop the rattle.

scoobyboy1 06 April 2006 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Woodcote
i've got a rattle and i've been told its the heat shield :wonder:
which i think covers the turbo. Looking into the engine bay its the metal bit to the left of the IC - sorry its not very technical.
Apparently this gets cut/modified when PPP is added and does not go back on quite right
... anyway ... can it be replaced/ removed ... something to stop the rattle.

You can remove it, as I did a few months ago, the only trouble is on a hot day you get really bad intercooler soak when stationary in traffic. Decided to put my one back on but made sure the bolts where a bit tighter, I only get the odd noise now on, but not as bad heat soak.

hoskib 06 April 2006 07:50 PM

it rattles as a couple of fixing points get cut off with the trimming, mine rattled near the bottom (which is common) have the thing off and trim it so it resembles a 'top hat' i seem to remember following the joint line . leaves about 3 or 4 bolts to fix IIRC.

i did this with my decat downpipe and it's never make a noise since, if you're unsure where to cut i could post up/mail you some pics if that helps, but to be honest it's pretty self explanatory(sp?):)

Woodcote 07 April 2006 04:33 PM

[QUOTE=hoskib]it rattles as a couple of fixing points get cut off with the trimming, mine rattled near the bottom (which is common) have the thing off and trim it so it resembles a 'top hat' i seem to remember following the joint line . leaves about 3 or 4 bolts to fix IIRC.

so its a recognised problem for a newage with PPP then - i originally thought it might be the exhaust.
... ill give it a go sounds farely straight forward - thank you

whats IIRC ?

hoskib 07 April 2006 07:28 PM

[QUOTE=Woodcote]

Originally Posted by hoskib
it rattles as a couple of fixing points get cut off with the trimming, mine rattled near the bottom (which is common) have the thing off and trim it so it resembles a 'top hat' i seem to remember following the joint line . leaves about 3 or 4 bolts to fix IIRC.

so its a recognised problem for a newage with PPP then - i originally thought it might be the exhaust.
... ill give it a go sounds farely straight forward - thank you

whats IIRC ?

If I Recall Correctly:)

must be honest mate, this advice is from my classic shape heatsheild, can't see yours being a world of difference but knock the sheild with your knuckle should tell you if that's where the rattle's coming from.

you can't go too wrong, as has already been posted, a few people take them off all together so any trimming should be fine:)

automodellistagt 08 April 2006 03:47 PM

mines developed a rattle and im convinced its the heat sheild too, might go have an investigation later.... sti 04

jd5217 08 April 2006 05:20 PM

i had a rattle which turned out to be that the heatshield on the uppipe had cracked on the welds.