ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   aftermarket lambda sensor (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/505511-aftermarket-lambda-sensor.html)

tru 05 April 2006 11:10 PM

aftermarket lambda sensor

hi my car is a 95wrx the lambda is not working correctly overfuelling has anybody fitted a universal one not sure if they would work or is there any body selling cheaper genuine ones thanks

911 06 April 2006 12:59 PM

I have just fitted a new aftermarket one for the same reason, ...old one is back on.
I bought it from API Engines, but I'm not at all sure about this.
Wish I had bought an Sti Subaru item.
The Aftermarket one cost £100 delivered and you have to crimp on the old connector too.
Graham.

Aztec Performance Ltd 06 April 2006 01:07 PM

IIRC I paid £110 for the genuine item from Subaru.

Aztec Performance Ltd 06 April 2006 01:09 PM

3rd party versions are about half the cost but many swear by the original Bosch item

[Davey] 06 April 2006 01:50 PM

You should be able to get a bosch lambda from Lucas.UK for a lot less than £100.

Aztec Performance Ltd 06 April 2006 01:51 PM

Nope

APIDavid 06 April 2006 01:58 PM

Our ' Generic ' Japanese Bosch Lambda is £88.00 + carriage + VAT we supply a wiring diagram and have sold hundreds without problem.

David APi Impreza / APi Engines
www.apiengines.com

tru 06 April 2006 08:58 PM

hi thanks for the replys i am in the process of seeing what a bosch fuel injection dealer can do i have given him the no's so i will let you know how i grt on subaru want 168+vat minus 10% thanks

phils_confused 06 April 2006 10:21 PM

Hi mate i paid about £30 for mine. A universal 3 wir jobby. Works a treat. My emissions on my mot the other day were spot on (lambda 1.001)

sideways scooby 07 April 2006 03:38 PM

I just bought one off ebay for £20 including delivery works a treat, it was a 4 wire universal, the only difference is the 3 wire earths its self through the exhaust the 4 wire has a extra grey wire on it that needs to be earthed in the engine bay, like i say works a treat may not last as long as the more expensive ones but at £20 bargain

joekont 07 April 2006 04:40 PM

I paid £35 for mine and had to solder the old connector on.

Had to use silver solder but it works a treat. Been on for a good 10,000 miles. And the car just made 317.5bhp on a rolling road.

911 07 April 2006 06:52 PM

Just crimped mine again, seems the same as before, so maybe it is just me :norty:
Graham

thedeester1 07 April 2006 07:45 PM

crimps can cause a small resistance in the connection. With the low voltages used it can make a differance. if you wanna crimp fit the crimp over one end then twist the wire ends together slide the crimp to the joint and crimp it. It would be best to use heat shrink sleeve as insulation and solder the connection.
Yes i know what im talking about. Im an electrical/ mechanical engineer in a factory

[Davey] 07 April 2006 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by thedeester1
crimps can cause a small resistance in the connection. With the low voltages used it can make a differance. if you wanna crimp fit the crimp over one end then twist the wire ends together slide the crimp to the joint and crimp it. It would be best to use heat shrink sleeve as insulation and solder the connection.
Yes i know what im talking about. Im an electrical/ mechanical engineer in a factory

No more resistance than the connector its self :thumb:

thedeester1 07 April 2006 07:56 PM

crimps are often made of a poor alloy. In the case of thermo couples you have to solder them because of the dis similar metal current characteristics. In the case of some of the servo controlled machines i work on the control voltages are so precise that they need a wire to wire connection.

[Davey] 07 April 2006 07:59 PM

Dont tell me your an engineer? :D

thedeester1 07 April 2006 08:11 PM

I thought i said that allready...LOL
Im proud of it!
Yes i am. Dont know everything about scoobs but my understanding is pretty good...I hope!
ive been doing this stuff for 17 years.
I was fixing motors when i was 8y's old. Started taking the wheels off when my dad was fixing a car. Then i progressed to wheel bearings and head gaskets. By the time i was 16 my DAD told me what he wanted fixed and went to put the kettle on.
I know i shouldnt brag but my Dad bought old skodas. I had a bunch of practice.
Till i was 8 i thought my dad was a car with feet comming out from underneath...LOL

[Davey] 07 April 2006 08:41 PM

My dad got me into cars when I was a kid too, but I'm far from Anal and thus not an Engineer ;) sorry couldnt resist! I bet you torque up your wheel bolts with a pre-set torque wrench :D

thedeester1 07 April 2006 08:45 PM

Anal....Thats funny i learned on skodas!
I dont own a torque wrench...Lol i have a t bar with a pipe that just about does it....HAHAHA

[Davey] 07 April 2006 08:46 PM

Defo not an anal engineer then, you can normal spot an engineer working on a car a mile off because I say they take the time to perfectly torque all of the wheel bolts :)

thedeester1 07 April 2006 08:49 PM

no M8 a real engineer can feel the torque. LOL
This is funny were gonna get banned for spamming!
i must say though i would have to borrow a torque wrench to do stretch bolts...It pains me to say im not perfect!