ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Standard ecu remap ? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/505111-standard-ecu-remap.html)

jailer 04 April 2006 02:18 PM

Standard ecu remap ?

Hi can any one tell me if the standard ecu on a uk 1997 turbo can be remapped and if so by who and how much.
Before you all start saying dont bother and get a new remappable ecu bear in mind that im skint and havent got a spare £600-£800.All my money so far has gone on wheels and styling which is about £1000.The next phase wil be performance mods.
Also my reasoning for this is that the car at moment is running with a k&n filter, magnex rear box, decat centre pipe, and a dawes adjustable and is producing 230bhp proven with dyno readout.Next year when I may be able to afford it I will look to get the sports cat downpipe and a new mappable ecu but not at the moment.
So if anyone would be kind enough to give me advice on who and how much if possible to remap the standard ecu and possible power gains I would be most gratefull.
Thanks.:wonder:

jailer 04 April 2006 02:20 PM

ecu

And sorry if I have posted in the wrong section (bloody newbies):lol1:

Tidgy 04 April 2006 02:35 PM

remap will prob be about £800+ ish, reason being standard ecutek remap has a license fee. be about right wil guess without remap.

however something about the 97 cars and not being able to remap them springs to mind, might be imports that are like that though

GC8 04 April 2006 02:44 PM

You cant ECU-Tek a 1997 car Im afraid. The only real option for a '97 car is to have a (new) ScoobyECU fitted and mapped but the cost comes very very close to that of an A'PEXi. Scooby Clinic's off the page price will be £380 + £150 for the RR time, which comes to £520 minimum (it may be ex VAT too). The days of £75 fit 'em yerself ScoobyECUs have long passed Im afraid.

Simon

jailer 04 April 2006 03:06 PM

ecu

Thanks fellas. That being the case then what would be the likely power output be with the decat sports downpipe and new ecu be with the already currnet mods.

jailer 04 April 2006 03:07 PM

ecu

sorry i meant the sports cat pipe

StiX 04 April 2006 03:17 PM

Have a look here:

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...=492944&page=4

Photos of my remap with a write-up.

I have a Ninja Sports cat, Magnex centre and backbox with a JR panel filter.

230bhp before Ecutek Tek3 remap, and 273bhp after.

jailer 04 April 2006 03:31 PM

ecu

thanks for that i'll take a look at the link. I take it your is also a uk car.

AC-scoobie 04 April 2006 03:49 PM

97-98 models are pretty crap for remaping. Basically you can't. ScoobyEcu doesn't work either. You will need to spend the money I'm afraid. The cheapest route (not by much though) is a Unichip add on board and remap. This will still set you back circa £600. The Apexi, which is far better IMO, will be around £120-150 more.

scoobfan 04 April 2006 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by AC-scoobie
97-98 models are pretty crap for remaping. Basically you can't. ScoobyEcu doesn't work either. You will need to spend the money I'm afraid. The cheapest route (not by much though) is a Unichip add on board and remap. This will still set you back circa £600. The Apexi, which is far better IMO, will be around £120-150 more.

Yes it will, and the Unichip is a piggyback unit which is not as good as you think.

Rob

jailer 04 April 2006 06:59 PM

ecu

Cheers for your help guys, thats the sort of power figure i was hoping to acheive, import std sti bhp.

markwild 04 April 2006 07:30 PM

Matey - Take a look at www.wildsworld.co.uk

I took my standard 98 (same ECU as yours - and pretty much same everything else too) to 272 bhp with a remap at Power Engineering (they fit a piggyback daughterboard).

I did a few (well, lots really) of mods and then had AndyF fit a Power FC - ended up with 320bhp and 300lbs/ft - Busted the gearbox twice though !

My advice - DONT go over 300lbs/ft with your UK box - unless you've saved enough to replace it with 'something' better - I didn't and I've not had the scoob for a year :(

Gives you some options.....

Mark

StiX 05 April 2006 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by jailer
thanks for that i'll take a look at the link. I take it your is also a uk car.

Yes UK MY00.

markwild 05 April 2006 07:11 AM

Don't forget that the 00 can be remapped on the stock ECU - the 97 can't....

Mark